Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 06:04 PM

136 posts, read 176,565 times

Advertisements

"When you're in the Christian bubble, surrounded by fellow Christians, everything makes perfect sense and it's all internally coherent and logical and everything happens for a reason. But then, when you're not in the bubble, ...."

Michael Shermer on losing your faith - YouTube

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 06:17 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post
Thoughts?
Yawn....

The guy's an atheist. His parents were Christian. Now he is not. He is now in an atheist/agnostic bubble. He said as much. Seems this fellow is not his own man, but is what surrounds him.

I was raised in an atheist bubble. And now I am not an atheist. I discovered God. Each of us must find his own path

Last edited by Mr5150; 02-09-2014 at 06:57 PM..

Old 02-09-2014, 07:10 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,989,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathGreetsMeWarm View Post

Thoughts?
My thoughts are that you need a new hobby.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:14 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yawn....

The guy's an atheist. His parents were Christian. Now he is not. He is now in an atheist/agnostic bubble. He said as much. Seems this fellow is not his own man, but is what surrounds him.

I was raised in an atheist bubble. And now I am not an atheist. I discovered God. Each of us must find his own path
You obviously did get what was meant by 'bubble.'

Old 02-09-2014, 09:28 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,608,234 times
A lot of people change faith, and some drop the belief altogether or gain a faith or belief they never had before.
I see a lot of X-Christians puzzled when the friend they thought they had disappear as soon as their belief in God does. They were only there in the first place because of obligation to their church. Once that's gone, so are they.

Seems like he got over it. Life goes on and you meet new people who aren't faith based and all is good. If he wants a new crop fast he can always join another church.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
You obviously did get what was meant by 'bubble.'
Sorry, but I did. I know what the word bubble means.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:07 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
This basically demonstrates the socio-psychological component of religion, probably not just in Christianity but in all religions, particularly Mormonism. Peer pressure, community pressure, family pressure, etc. all play a huge part in whether or not a person decides to stick with Christianity or, in the right environment, just fall away from it. For my money, about half of all Christians are in it because it's a way to socialize, to meet chicks, to have a sense of belonging, and to be doing what they think benefits them in some way. And, hey, if it just happens to get them into heaven, well, that's the icing on the cake.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Sorry, but I did. I know what the word bubble means.
Sorry you did not - MS made this clear when he used L.A. and College as an example. A Bubble is where a person is isolated from other opinions/ideas. L.A. and College are not such a place. I doubt, given the population of theists, that there is an atheistic bubble - anywhere.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Sorry you did not - MS made this clear when he used L.A. and College as an example. A Bubble is where a person is isolated from other opinions/ideas. L.A. and College are not such a place. I doubt, given the population of theists, that there is an atheistic bubble - anywhere.
Well I have two things to say.

1. You may well be the first person I have noticed who used periods when using the term LA when describing a certain SoCal town. As a CA native I can assure you that it is LA. Not L, period A, period.

2. University life is very much isolated from the real world. The Ivory Tower refers to that. Google the term. University folk are very much wrapped up in the small world of self same people who agree with themselves. Very much a bubble of back slapping opinion.

A third thing. Please don't tell me what I understand or do not understand. You don't know me or who I am. Just discuss facts. Discuss the video. Don't tell me I am stupid in an attempt to make yourself appear smart.

It must be late where you live. Have a good night's rest.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:48 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Well I have two things to say.

1. You may well be the first person I have noticed who used periods when using the term LA when describing a certain SoCal town. As a CA native I can assure you that it is LA. Not L, period A, period.
Nice argument - had nothing huh!

Quote:
2. University life is very much isolated from the real world. The Ivory Tower refers to that. Google the term. University folk are very much wrapped up in the small world of self same people who agree with themselves. Very much a bubble of back slapping opinion.
Never said anything about the 'real world' - but ideas/opinions. I may have used a period but you can't even stay on the page.

Quote:
It must be late where you live. Have a good night's rest.
Unfortunately, I fear you are beyond excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality