Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 01:22 PM

80 posts, read 277,623 times

Advertisements

Let us all, including myself, not forget a couple of things as we explore this website: Some (much) consideration should be given to keeping families together as much as possible,whether that be migrating together , or staying put where you're at......I am old enough to know that the only thing that matters at the end of your days is your family and how you treated them and how much you were willing to sacrifice for them in the interest of building strong family ties....everything else, trust me, is like leaves in the wind......
and you will come to realize that some cold day.....If you put your faith in an "area" or a business to fulfill your needs, you will likely be disappointed....

Two, there is a God (if you don't believe me, become a regular listener of George Noory's Coast to Coast AM for a couple of months, and I can almost guarantee you it will lull you out of that agnostic/atheistic/humanistic thing that I was stuck in for 17 years--a tone I pick up on at times on this site).....the main thing you all should be looking for, in addition to the basics like job opportunities and housing costs, is how much of a Christian environment these various areas have to offer....all of these fancy homes, "culture", etc. are not going to fulfill you as much as you think they are....I am not trying to come down on anyone, but I feel moved to post this ..... it's all fluff people.....God is all that is going to matter, and how you served him, when He comes back on that fateful day......Former atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 01:38 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greytercel View Post
Let us all, including myself, not forget a couple of things as we explore this website: Some (much) consideration should be given to keeping families together as much as possible,whether that be migrating together , or staying put where you're at......I am old enough to know that the only thing that matters at the end of your days is your family and how you treated them and how much you were willing to sacrifice for them in the interest of building strong family ties....everything else, trust me, is like leaves in the wind......
and you will come to realize that some cold day.....If you put your faith in an "area" or a business to fulfill your needs, you will likely be disappointed....

Two, there is a God (if you don't believe me, become a regular listener of George Noory's Coast to Coast AM for a couple of months, and I can almost guarantee you it will lull you out of that agnostic/atheistic/humanistic thing that I was stuck in for 17 years--a tone I pick up on at times on this site).....the main thing you all should be looking for, in addition to the basics like job opportunities and housing costs, is how much of a Christian environment these various areas have to offer....all of these fancy homes, "culture", etc. are not going to fulfill you as much as you think they are....I am not trying to come down on anyone, but I feel moved to post this ..... it's all fluff people.....God is all that is going to matter, and how you served him, when He comes back on that fateful day......Former atheist.
I like your 1st paragraph.
AM radio preachers are just more fluff, though....An agnostic/atheist/humanist.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
read the thread 2x. family and god are the priorities.
i have known people that have given so much, their all, to families
they are whole care facilities here, full of them, utterly abandoned.
as to god, in the mideast when they do terrible things they say they
are doing it for god.
i am very sure you are not talking about these matters.
i am sure you meant the good stuff.
i have learned the hard way to keep a safe distance from drowning people
i am more than ready to throw a life preserver.
thanks for listening

Old 12-05-2007, 04:24 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,483 times
that first papagraph i could handle, the last... nah there is a reason those preachers are on AM stations not FM. besides, i don't have to listen any show to keep me doubting.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:33 PM

133 posts, read 750,676 times
Ditto to the comments above about the first paragraph....

A contradiction comes in the second paragraph, though, where you say the only thing that matters is God and how you serve him, but in the first paragraph you say the only thing that matters is your family and how you treated them.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:15 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Coast to Coast AM, of all shows, turned you from an agnostic to a theist? C2CAM isn't even a religious show; it deals with current events, outer space issues, and the 'paranormal.'

Old 01-02-2010, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,520 times
If there is no God, why does anyone work? Why does anyone have talents? Why do we do good, and why when we do good do we feel good?

Old 01-02-2010, 10:28 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplecomplexity View Post
If there is no God, why does anyone work? Why does anyone have talents? Why do we do good, and why when we do good do we feel good?

To earn a living, we have a brain and intelligence, we do good because we want to and doing good makes you feel good. I am religious but you don't have to be religious to work, be talented, do good or feel good when you do.....

Old 01-02-2010, 10:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
You're a lucky person, greytercel, to have a good family. Count yourself lucky. For every post I read like yours, I read 15 where siblings will stab each other in the back, lie, cheat and steal, etc. Where cousins are users, sons are dope heads, sisters sleep with each others spouses, etc. Parents abandon children to be with "new lovers", children abandon parents to fend for themselves in their declining years. The list goes on and on.

I have a small family myself - mostly by choice because I do not choose to complicate it with associations with persons who would only be interested in being "family" if it benefited them directly. Such an arrangement is no family, if you ask me.

As for George Noory, I beg to differ with your assessment. Although I do listen from time to time for it's entertainment value, I have found nothing particularly "moving" or reassuring with regard to God. In fact, quite the opposite since not too long ago, the discussion about Planet X more or less reinforced my hypothesis that our species originated from an extraterrestial encounter between the indigent pre-humanoid species that existed on earth +/- 40,000 years ago and "them".

But diff' strokes.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-02-2010, 10:47 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Quote:

LOL--sorry, the idea that listening to an AM radio show will convert my educated, rational, logical, science-loving mind into a dim toadie of superstitous beliefs is not only absurd, it's insulting. Please don't tell us that, just because you felt the need to reclaim the invisible freind you had as a child, we also need to. If I wanted to become a religous fundamentalist I'd get a lobotomy.
But you were right about the family thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality