Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 10:47 AM

181 posts, read 218,043 times

Advertisements

Sometimes, while you are studying languages in school or learning your mother tongue from your parents, you can't help but think the interesting relationship between religion and language. It is known that language can shape one's thinking.

I was raised in a Chinese household, and my parents would use several Chinese idioms, some of which might contain roots in Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism (i.e. "老天爷" or "念经"). When I was little, I always interpreted 老天爷 literally as some sort of old man living in the sky that controlled the weather, since my nonreligious parents seemed to use it literally. I later learned it had roots in Taoism (Taoist concept of the Heavenly Way). Using Yabla.com, I found out that 念经 referred to "reciting or chanting the Buddhist scriptures". I can't say much for its accuracy, because the term just sounds like "recite scripture". I would have never guessed Buddhist, but I suppose a quick search on Google brings me to chanting Buddhist mantras. I grew up mostly in the United States, so I learned English in school since kindergarten, which had always sparked my curiosity and interest in Christianity (i.e. "Oh, my God" or "God damn it" or "God bless _____"). In middle and high schools, I studied Spanish as a "foreign language", and I was well aware of the influence of Islam and Christianity on Spanish and Hispanic cultures (i.e. "Ojalá que" or "Dios mio").

American English speakers may say something like "Oh, my God" or "God willing" or "God bless _____" or "God bless" or "Thanks be to God" or "Thank God" or "G'bless you" (after someone's sneezing) or "God help him" or a bazillion phrases from the Bible, particularly the original King James Version.

Anyway, what did you think when you first heard other people use the aforesaid idioms? Did you interpret them literally or figuratively? For those of you who might have interpreted literally, what was your first conception of the word, "God"? For those of you who might have interpreted figuratively, how quickly did you figure out it's just a figure of speech?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality