Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 04:52 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times

Advertisements

I suppose one problem about that date is that it is really far too late. It is presumably related to supposed flood deposits in Sumerian levels. They are limited to one city and they clearly don't relate to other supposed flood levels, particularly the hundred feet thick rock deposits that are supposedly flood deposits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 07:51 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,964,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
While pursuing a Christian young earth website I read that the "Great Flood" of Noah fame took place in 2304 BCE which raised an awkward question, at least in my mind; if the Great Flood destroyed all of mankind with the exception of Noah and his offspring, how were they able to repopulate the entire globe in such a short time, establishing major civilizations thousands of miles away from the Levant? And even more puzzling to me, is how none of these civilizations had the slightest idea about the Noah's god or the Biblical story of creation?

I thank you one and all in advance for your scholarly contributions to by failed understanding of human migration.
I could tell you, but you wouldn't believe me anyway. Do a search for Eusebius in the other Noah threads.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1 View Post
I find it interesting that, regardless of when it happened, the water from Noah's flood covered the whole Earth, to a specific depth. This places Mt. Everest beneath the waters of the flood, and it places Noah's ark at an altitude of tens of thousands of feet. How did he and the animals not freeze to death? More importantly, how did they breathe? There's so little oxygen at that height!
Wrong on all counts. Please search for "Eusebius" in some of the Noah's flood threads here.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:00 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
While pursuing a Christian young earth website I read that the "Great Flood" of Noah fame took place in 2304 BCE which raised an awkward question, at least in my mind; if the Great Flood destroyed all of mankind with the exception of Noah and his offspring, how were they able to repopulate the entire globe in such a short time, establishing major civilizations thousands of miles away from the Levant? And even more puzzling to me, is how none of these civilizations had the slightest idea about the Noah's god or the Biblical story of creation?

I thank you one and all in advance for your scholarly contributions to by failed understanding of human migration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I could tell you, but you wouldn't believe me anyway. Do a search for Eusebius in the other Noah threads.
Or just Google "Crazy ideas about Noah's flood backed up by no evidence whatsoever" or "Things less fun than smashing your head into a brick wall"

Old 03-25-2014, 08:04 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times
Well, if you take the Old Testament as literally true, then you're going to have to deny all the scientific evidence that contradicts it.

If you view the Old Testament for what it actually was: the attempts of primitive peoples to explain their world and their own history, then you realize that the "Great Flood" only covered the Israelites' "world", which was a relatively small area, probably one of the river valleys, of the Fertile Crescent. You would also realize that the earliest "writers" of the Old Testament probably didn't have writing, so they maintained their history via oral tradition, which often changes as it gets passed down through generations.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Or just Google "Crazy ideas about Noah's flood backed up by no evidence whatsoever" or "Things less fun than smashing your head into a brick wall"
Or just Google "Crazy ideas about evolution backed up by no evidence whatsoever" or "Things less fun than smashing your head into a brick wall"

Old 03-25-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Well, if you take the Old Testament as literally true, then you're going to have to deny all the scientific evidence that contradicts it.

If you view the Old Testament for what it actually was: the attempts of primitive peoples to explain their world and their own history, then you realize that the "Great Flood" only covered the Israelites' "world", which was a relatively small area, probably one of the river valleys, of the Fertile Crescent. You would also realize that the earliest "writers" of the Old Testament probably didn't have writing, so they maintained their history via oral tradition, which often changes as it gets passed down through generations.
Some scientists would disagree with your assessments above.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:13 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,460 times
2304BCE? LOL

Things older than that, according to Wikipedia:

c. 3000 BC First evidence of gold being used (in the Middle East) was from this time period.
c. 3000 BC Nubian A-Group, Ta-Seeti "kingdom" came to an end, possibly due to raids by Egypt
c. 3000 BC – 2000 BC—Vessels from Denmark are made. They are now at National Museum, Copenhagen.
c. 2890 BC Second Dynasty of Egypt, reign of Hotepsekhemwy
Syria: Foundation of the city of Mari (29th century BC).
Semitic tribes occupy Assyria in northern part of the plain of Shinar and Akkad
Phoenicians settle on Syrian coast, with centers at Tyre and Sidon
Beginning of the period of the Sage Kings in China, also known as the Three Sovereigns and Five Emperors
c. 2879 BC Rise of the Văn Lang Kingdom and the Hồng Bàng Dynasty in northern Viet Nam.
c. 2800 BC–2700 BC—Harp Player, from Keros, Cyclades, was made. It is now at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
Iran: Creation of the Kingdom of Elam.
Germination of the Bristlecone pine tree "Methuselah" about 2700 BC, the oldest known tree still living now.
c. 2686 BC Third Dynasty of Egypt, reign of Sanakhte
c. 2613 BC Fourth Dynasty of Egypt, reign of Sneferu
c. 2600 BC—Founding of the Chalcolithic Iberian civilizations of Los Millares and Zambujal.
c. 2500 BC—Excavation and development of the Hypogeum of Ħal-Saflieni at Paola, Malta, a subterranean templex complex subsequently used as a necropolis.
c. 2498 BC Fifth Dynasty of Egypt, reign of Userkaf
c. 2492 BC The Armenian patriarch Hayk defeats the Babylonian king Bel (legendary account).
c. 2345 BC- Sixth Dynasty of Egypt, reign of Teti
c. 2030–1556 BC—Xia Dynasty, first Chinese dynasty and government system established [1]
c. 2500 BC–2200 BC—Incised panel "Frying pan", from Syros, Cyclades is made. It is now at National Archaeological Museum, Athens.
c. 2500 BC–2200 BC—Two figures of women, from the Cyclades, are made. They are now at Museum of Cycladic Art, Athens.
Dynasty of Lagash in Sumer.
Golden age of Ur in Mesopotamia. (2474 BC–2398 BC)
Unified Indus Valley Civilisation (2600 BC).
2334 BC: Sargon of Akkad conquers Mesopotamia, establishing the Akkadian Empire
c. 2300 BC C-Group pastoralist arrive in Nubia
Indo-Europeans first invade Greece (23rd century BC).
c. 2181 BC Seventh and Eighth Dynasty of Egypt(2181-2160)
c. 2160 BC Ninth Dynasty of Egypt, reign of Akhtoy Meryibtowe
c. 2130 BC Tenth Dynasty of Egypt, reign of Meryhathor
c. 2134 BC Eleventh Dynasty of Egypt, reign of Mentuhotep I

And no one other than the religions based on Judaism talks about a flood-based cataclysm of this scale.

It's a myth.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:43 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,024,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1 View Post
I find it interesting that, regardless of when it happened, the water from Noah's flood covered the whole Earth, to a specific depth. This places Mt. Everest beneath the waters of the flood, and it places Noah's ark at an altitude of tens of thousands of feet. How did he and the animals not freeze to death? More importantly, how did they breathe? There's so little oxygen at that height!
You really didn't think that question through, did you?...

Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
2304BCE? LOL

Things older than that, according to Wikipedia:

c. 3000 BC First evidence of gold being used (in the Middle East) was from this time period.
c. 3000 BC Nubian A-Group, Ta-Seeti "kingdom" came to an end, possibly due to raids by Egypt
c. 3000 BC – 2000 BC—Vessels from Denmark are made. They are now at National Museum, Copenhagen.
c. 2890 BC Second Dynasty of Egypt, reign of Hotepsekhemwy
Syria: Foundation of the city of Mari (29th century BC).
Semitic tribes occupy Assyria in northern part of the plain of Shinar and Akkad
Phoenicians settle on Syrian coast, with centers at Tyre and Sidon
Beginning of the period of the Sage Kings in China, also known as the Three Sovereigns and Five Emperors
c. 2879 BC Rise of the Văn Lang Kingdom and the Hồng Bàng Dynasty in northern Viet Nam.
c. 2800 BC–2700 BC—Harp Player, from Keros, Cyclades, was made. It is now at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
Iran: Creation of the Kingdom of Elam.
Germination of the Bristlecone pine tree "Methuselah" about 2700 BC, the oldest known tree still living now.
c. 2686 BC Third Dynasty of Egypt, reign of Sanakhte
c. 2613 BC Fourth Dynasty of Egypt, reign of Sneferu
c. 2600 BC—Founding of the Chalcolithic Iberian civilizations of Los Millares and Zambujal.
c. 2500 BC—Excavation and development of the Hypogeum of Ħal-Saflieni at Paola, Malta, a subterranean templex complex subsequently used as a necropolis.
c. 2498 BC Fifth Dynasty of Egypt, reign of Userkaf
c. 2492 BC The Armenian patriarch Hayk defeats the Babylonian king Bel (legendary account).
c. 2345 BC- Sixth Dynasty of Egypt, reign of Teti
c. 2030–1556 BC—Xia Dynasty, first Chinese dynasty and government system established [1]
c. 2500 BC–2200 BC—Incised panel "Frying pan", from Syros, Cyclades is made. It is now at National Archaeological Museum, Athens.
c. 2500 BC–2200 BC—Two figures of women, from the Cyclades, are made. They are now at Museum of Cycladic Art, Athens.
Dynasty of Lagash in Sumer.
Golden age of Ur in Mesopotamia. (2474 BC–2398 BC)
Unified Indus Valley Civilisation (2600 BC).
2334 BC: Sargon of Akkad conquers Mesopotamia, establishing the Akkadian Empire
c. 2300 BC C-Group pastoralist arrive in Nubia
Indo-Europeans first invade Greece (23rd century BC).
c. 2181 BC Seventh and Eighth Dynasty of Egypt(2181-2160)
c. 2160 BC Ninth Dynasty of Egypt, reign of Akhtoy Meryibtowe
c. 2130 BC Tenth Dynasty of Egypt, reign of Meryhathor
c. 2134 BC Eleventh Dynasty of Egypt, reign of Mentuhotep I

And no one other than the religions based on Judaism talks about a flood-based cataclysm of this scale.

It's a myth.
So it just proves their dating methods are suspect, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality