Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 11:45 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

If you familiarize yourself with the writings of Emmanuel Swedenborg you will see that God created spirits as duel entities that are separated at birth, hence this sense as we go through life, and one bad relationship after another, that we are only half a being until we find our soulmate. Swedenborg identified the male's half as being the mind (thought/conscience), while the female he characterized as the heart (emotions) and it's not until after death (except for the very VERY fortunate 1% who find their soulmate here on earth) that these two half are joined together into a complete perfect union of rational thought and emotions, thus making a perfect, spiritual entity. According to Swedenborg, every person has their counterpart and both will be reunited after death.

Kind of a beautiful concept when you think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 11:48 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
If you familiarize yourself with the writings of Emmanuel Swedenborg you will see that God created spirits as duel entities that are separated at birth, hence this sense as we go through life, and one bad relationship after another, that we are only half a being until we find our soulmate. Swedenborg identified the male's half as being the mind (thought/conscience), while the female he characterized as the heart (emotions) and it's not until after death (except for the very VERY fortunate 1% who find their soulmate here on earth) that these two half are joined together into a complete perfect union of rational thought and emotions, thus making a perfect, spiritual entity. According to Swedenborg, every person has their counterpart and both will be reunited after death.

That really is sweet...but maybe it's more a metaphor for that "lost part" being our separation from the whole thing (spirit, God or whatever) rather than literally being a man separated from his woman (spiritual) part and vice versa?

Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 AM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
What Swedenborg's inspiration and intuition reflects is the ongoing inner conflict within each of us. Our embryo Spirit is our consciousness and our feelings are generated by our animal nature. When we use our Spirit to control our negative emotional urges . . . they cancel out and only our positive feelings and thoughts comprise our Spirit. That is how we produce a "complete perfect union of rational thought and emotions, thus making a perfect, spiritual entity."
That is the process for nurturing and developing our embryo Spirit to maturity and rebirth as Spirit upon our death.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:01 PM

628 posts, read 2,044,216 times
My main thought is that women tend to be a bit more selfless. This may be evolution based if you think of the roles of our ancient ancestors.
Women are the primary caregivers in a lot of situations (not all the time though and I recognize that) for children, for elderly parents. Women will deny themselves to get something they want more often. Think about charitable organizations (yes there are many men that volunteer) but think about who does funeral dinners, bake sales, knit down the debt, fundraisers at school or running fundraisers for sports--generally women.
I am able to tell myself that I need to go to church every Sunday and follow these rules and deny myself these things--my husband would rather relax and lay around.
Yes he would help someone bleeding in the street--but I would help them, call their family, check on them later.

Once again I am not saying it always the case but does seem to be the majority.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
That really is sweet...but maybe it's more a metaphor for that "lost part" being our separation from the whole thing (spirit, God or whatever) rather than literally being a man separated from his woman (spiritual) part and vice versa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What Swedenborg's inspiration and intuition reflects is the ongoing inner conflict within each of us. Our embryo Spirit is our consciousness and our feelings are generated by our animal nature. When we use our Spirit to control our negative emotional urges . . . they cancel out and only our positive feelings and thoughts comprise our Spirit. That is how we produce a "complete perfect union of rational thought and emotions, thus making a perfect, spiritual entity."
That is the process for nurturing and developing our embryo Spirit to maturity and rebirth as Spirit upon our death.
I see the more symbolic aspects you are both attaching to it. His writings (and I can't get into why he says this without a huge dissertation) made clear he believed it to be literal.

Myself, personally, I sure hope it IS literal. I really like the idea of having a true soulmate for all eternity. I already have her picked out

Old 04-02-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I see the more symbolic aspects you are both attaching to it. His writings (and I can't get into why he says this without a huge dissertation) made clear he believed it to be literal.

Myself, personally, I sure hope it IS literal. I really like the idea of having a true soulmate for all eternity. I already have her picked out
I hope so too, sweetie. I hope everyone's dreams come true.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerz View Post
i hope so too, sweetie. I hope everyone's dreams come true.
:d

Why aren't the smilies working???

Old 04-02-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
:d

Why aren't the smilies working???
I'm not sure...I think that one is supposed to be a capital D? Is it the smiley with the teeth?

Old 04-02-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm not sure...I think that one is supposed to be a capital D? Is it the smiley with the teeth?
Yes.

There we go!!

Old 04-04-2014, 09:33 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
I don't think women are more "religious than" men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality