Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 06:43 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times

Advertisements

Take a look at this short video, if you can stand it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkeW_dMOjc0

and then tell me rationally if suffering like this for a few days/week or so before dying gives any sort of honor and glory to God, as Christians claim it does.

Personally, I've changed my views drastically in the last several months or so on euthanasia/hastening death. I no longer feel bound to this Catholic/Christian dogma that ending one's life a little earlier when one is in such a state is breaking any moral laws of God. I mean were I in such a state as portrayed in the video it's pretty evident I'm going to die anyway, right? What's so bad if I ask for a few injections to ease my suffering and the injections cause me to slip over to the other side?

I frankly just don't see how God is pleased by a person suffering this way and I don't buy the argument that "God gave life; only He has the right to take it away". I can see how it would be morally wrong if a person is distraught/depressed, but otherwise perfectly healthy. But when a person is suffering horribly and the life is slowly ebbing out of a person's body, then I think it becomes a morally just thing for someone to painlessly stop their suffering.

Anybody feel the same as I do, or do you have objections to the notion of nudging your own death along in such cases?

Last edited by thrillobyte; 04-27-2014 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 06:50 PM

641 posts, read 558,376 times
Which god? I mean, have you read the Old Testament Bible?

Yahweh positively ADORES suffering and violence.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc1 View Post
Which god? I mean, have you read the Old Testament Bible?

Yahweh positively ADORES suffering and violence.
Well, you're right about that. But then Yahweh is just another pagan god like Horus and Mithra, albeit the god of the Jews, supposedly God's chosen people. But then Christians think they are God's chosen people so the cycle of ignorance and stupidity continues, doesn't it?

But if we throw away the notion that Yahweh is the real God and that the real God is not revealed to mankind; He sits up in the 7th heaven farthest away from earth, then does this fact change my original thesis?

Old 04-27-2014, 07:36 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,050 times
If god wishes you to suffer horribly for no reason, god is very cruel.

And what if the dying person's loved ones were there? Would it be god's will for them to witness it as long as possible?

Old 04-27-2014, 07:44 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Suicide was made a sin by the Church in 364 A.D.

There is nothing in the Bible that says or suggests that suicide is a sin.

I have no qualms whatsoever about euthanasia. I think it is cruel to keep someone around just so they can suffer. Granted, they'd have to volunteer for it - it should never be forced onto someone. Unfortunately, though, with our "wonderful" for-profit health care system, long term end-of-life care can literally clean out an entire family. We shouldn't have to think about money when a loved one is dying, but there you go, just another "joy" of our American system. The fact that only two or three states allow for euthanasia is just one more religious ideal creeping into our laws.

At any rate, for some, their lives are over even if they haven't died. They will never recover, they will never get better, and their existence is nothing but a drug-induced haze or extreme, torturous pain. If they want to end their own misery, who are we to stand in their way?

Old 04-27-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post

And what if the dying person's loved ones were there? Would it be god's will for them to witness it as long as possible?
If you stick to the strict letter of the Bible the answer is an affirmative "YES!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Suicide was made a sin by the Church in 364 A.D.

There is nothing in the Bible that says or suggests that suicide is a sin.

I have no qualms whatsoever about euthanasia. I think it is cruel to keep someone around just so they can suffer. Granted, they'd have to volunteer for it - it should never be forced onto someone. Unfortunately, though, with our "wonderful" for-profit health care system, long term end-of-life care can literally clean out an entire family. We shouldn't have to think about money when a loved one is dying, but there you go, just another "joy" of our American system. The fact that only two or three states allow for euthanasia is just one more religious ideal creeping into our laws.

At any rate, for some, their lives are over even if they haven't died. They will never recover, they will never get better, and their existence is nothing but a drug-induced haze or extreme, torturous pain. If they want to end their own misery, who are we to stand in their way?
I'm with you, Shirina. If I ever get a terminal diagnosis I will immediately move to Oregon, establish residency and put myself into palliative sedation when the pain and discomfort get to be too much to handle. Technically, that's not suicide, even though it does tend to hasten death. But I suppose at that point I won't much care anyway.

Here's one I'll bet Catholics didn't know:

The Roman Catholic Church made suicide a mortal sin in the Medieval period so that they could catch and interrogate people they suspected of heresy? Pretty clever, when you think of it. "We want to interrogate you and torture and then burn you, so don't kill yourself or you'll end up burning in hell for all eternity, not that you won't, anyway, as we intend to excommunicate you before burning you."

Last edited by thrillobyte; 04-27-2014 at 08:08 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 08:06 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
If you stick to the strict letter of the Bible the answer is an affirmative "YES!"

I'm with you, Shirina. If I ever get a terminal diagnosis I will immediately move to Oregon, establish residency and put myself into palliative sedation when the pain and discomfort get to be too much to handle. Technically, that's not suicide, even though it does tend to hasten death. But I suppose at that point I won't much care anyway.
I think it's very important to have customs or laws in place to make it difficult to commit suicide on impulse.

A severe chronic condition with no chance for recovery is entirely different, imo.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:50 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Having someone's life prolonged by being hooked to a machine is the part that is playing God. I don't know if I believe in euthanasia but I adhere to letting nature take it's course.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Having someone's life prolonged by being hooked to a machine is the part that is playing God. I don't know if I believe in euthanasia but I adhere to letting nature take it's course.
I'll let nature takes its course as long as I've got enough morphine pumped into me that I don't even know or care what nature has planned for me.

These people in countries like the one in the video are suffering this way for one or both of two reasons:

1. their religion forbids them to ease their suffering. In other words, suffering is earning stripes with their gods.

2. the countries are too poor to be able to afford the pain killers and the drug companies are too cheap to provide them on humanitarian grounds. If you check the stats you'll see that pain killers are most available in the US, Canada and Europe, thank God . Less so everywhere else, including Australia, big surprise.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:01 AM

641 posts, read 558,376 times
Let's face it: religion and suffering are synonymous in peoples' minds. No matter how peppy and user-friendly modern American mega-churches dress Christianity up to be, it, like every other religion, is ultimately founded on self-loathing and masochism.

Something about religion makes people WANT to suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality