Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:38 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I must admit, I'm extremely grateful that I didn't live in the neighborhood that was in the path of that wandering, invading, bronze aged desert tribe that purported to be "god's" people.

Imagine, seeing all the innocent neighboring young boys being killed, and all the young girls being dragged off to be the soldiers sex slaves.

And we are suppose to love a god that orders that?

There is nothing in this world that can suggest there is anything but pure evil in any sentient being that would order such an act.
I really think the "real" God had absolutely nothing to do with all that. This "god ordering genocide" stuff in the Torah was just Hebrew propaganda to make Jews feel their god, yahweh was on their side when they went against their enemies. Every sacred writings of any culture has their god ordering the same kind of thing. It was just a fluke that the Old Testament has survived to this day and that Christianity based their religion off it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 09:03 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I must admit, I'm extremely grateful that I didn't live in the neighborhood that was in the path of that wandering, invading, bronze aged desert tribe that purported to be "god's" people.

Imagine, seeing all the innocent neighboring young boys being killed, and all the young girls being dragged off to be the soldiers sex slaves.

And we are suppose to love a god that orders that?

There is nothing in this world that can suggest there is anything but pure evil in any sentient being that would order such an act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
That depends on your outlook...
Point of view of the young boys: entirely negative

Point of view of the young girls: entirely negative

Point of view of the soldiers getting the sex slaves: not so negative

Point of view of the parents of the young boys and girls: entirely negative

Point of view of the wives of the soldiers: probably negative

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm seeing a pattern develop here.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:14 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
... date earlier than the Babylonian captivity? Isn't that a little strange, considering that Moses lived hundreds of years earlier and supposedly wrote the Torah?
The Babylonian captivity was preceded by the siege, capture and pillaging of Jerusalem in 598 BCE. Had there been Biblical manuscripts, it seems that Jerusalem Temple would have been the most likely place to keep them, and the Temple was destroyed.

The Temple was rebuilt by Herod the Great, but that too was destroyed by the Romans in the Jewish War of 70 CE.

In that neither the Babylonians nor the Romans would have had any interest in preserving Jewish manuscripts, is it not reasonable to guess that they would have been destroyed along with the Temple?

Old 05-14-2014, 12:09 PM

Again, it was just a fluke that the Dead Sea Scrolls survived and were uncovered. If it was an act of God, why didn't He just let all the original NT writings get put into jars and buried to be discovered in 1948 as well? Doesn't make a bit of sense, but then I don't pretend to know the mind of God.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:21 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,962,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
... date earlier than the Babylonian captivity? Isn't that a little strange, considering that Moses lived hundreds of years earlier and supposedly wrote the Torah?
When a scroll of the Old Testament would get worn the scribes would re-do it and destroy the old manuscript.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Again, it was just a fluke that the Dead Sea Scrolls survived and were uncovered. If it was an act of God, why didn't He just let all the original NT writings get put into jars and buried to be discovered in 1948 as well? Doesn't make a bit of sense, but then I don't pretend to know the mind of God.
Maybe God did just like the Dead Sea Scrolls with the New Testament. Maybe we just havn't found them yet. After around 2,000 years we finally found the Dead Sea Scrolls.

But the three oldest uncial manuscripts are good enough.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Maybe God did just like the Dead Sea Scrolls with the New Testament. Maybe we just havn't found them yet. After around 2,000 years we finally found the Dead Sea Scrolls.

But the three oldest uncial manuscripts are good enough.
I sure hope He did. If we discovered the originals, 99% of the arguments here on eternal torment, salvation by faith alone, and predestination would evaporate overnight. What a sinfully delicious thought.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I sure hope He did. If we discovered the originals, 99% of the arguments here on eternal torment, salvation by faith alone, and predestination would evaporate overnight. What a sinfully delicious thought.
Why do you think that? They would still inappropriately translate "aiwn" as "for ever" or "everlasting" or "world" or "never" and its adjectival form AIWNION as "eternal" or "everlasting."

You don't believe in predestination? Why do you believe the original autographs would not say "we were chosen in Christ before the disruption of the world"?

Old 05-14-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Why do you think that? They would still inappropriately translate "aiwn" as "for ever" or "everlasting" or "world" or "never" and its adjectival form AIWNION as "eternal" or "everlasting."

You don't believe in predestination? Why do you believe the original autographs would not say "we were chosen in Christ before the disruption of the world"?
Well....ahhhh.....it would be assuming that the originals were God-inspired enough that the writers had the foresight to realize how such words could be used in both ways and therefore took deliberate care under instructions from God to avoid a word that could be read both ways.

Don't you ever wish, Eusebius, that Jesus had said, "Look, you goats, you need to taught that it is better to give a person a piece of bread and clothed the naked than to be selfish and keep it all to yourselves. So I'm going to purge you of your sins with fire. But this is not going to last forever, just temporary until you've been refined like gold." Could there then be any mistaking what Jesus meant, unlike what we have now where we endlessly argue and bicker and start wars over what Jesus' words actually meant simply because He worded it so badly? I mean...I mean who in their right minds chooses a word like "aion" which is the only word in the Greek language which can mean the opposite of itself; temporary AND forever????????

And THIS is inspired by God?????????? GAWD!!

Re predestination, no that is a heresy from Paul. I have absolutely no use for Paul. He so bastardized Jesus' original gospel that he should have been stoned. Come to think of it, they did stone him but they didn't do a good-enough job of it.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:21 AM

301 posts, read 295,610 times
I'm an atheist as you can easily see from my name, but, this question is just as bad for them as finding evolutionary gaps are for me.

According to the bible (and memory) in Exodus, roughly 600,000 able bodied men went with wives, children, elderly. So I've heard high end estimates of 2.5 million.

On the other hand, when you actually go and visit many of the cities mentioned (and most biblical scholars are sure these are the cities according to Hebrew text found in the ruins with other amplifying data such as surrounding towns) they were only a few thousand, probably 3 to 5 thousand people.

For me personally, I think the story of Moses is a fictitious story told around the campfire and amplified over time about oppressed slaves coming out of Egypt and making their way to the promised land with the help of their "One true God". So there were probably only a few thousand that were also joined over time with people from Canaan, Jordon, and Mesopotamia. Most were fleeing slavery or at least a lower class type citizen who was working and nor reaping the fruits of one's own labor. They joined together in solidarity with the promise of no longer being an oppressed people under God.

With all that being said, the areas are large, much of the civilizations were destroyed and burned leaving little. When cities were destroyed, often the stones would be reused by a neighboring civ. It's amazing that some of the best archaeological finds have only been in the last 15 years such as The Tel Dan Inscription which is considered the first authentic historical Evidence of King David from the Bible. These were only found in 1993 and 1995.

So in conclusion, it truely is trying to find a needle in a haystack. I don't believe and I don't think the evidence supports the 600,000 to 2.5 million stated in Exodus, but I do believe some made it out of Egypt. But it is so many square miles, add wars, reused materials, and nature... it is as hard as finding the missing link!

I love the history of this region. It is facinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality