Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 08:51 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I agree with this to a certain degree in that most religions think that the other religion is wrong. I stand with Miborn on the definition of a cult. Any time any religion says you can't think for yourself; I think it is a cult. Any time a religion tells its members to not associate with others because they are evil; it is a cult. And that doesn't include telling them not to associate with those that are doing wrong, but with everyone outside of their organization no matter how good these people are. Any religion that won't allow you to read books by other religions, run. The problem with these cults is, they don't tell you any of these things until after they have sucked you in. I remember questioning a JW years later about something that they taught, and she lied to me about it. Then she had her husband come with her and he lied. They didn't know that I was once a JW. But cults will teach you want they want you to know first, and then the bad stuff comes later, but by then because you have accepted the good, it is easier to accept the bad.

I would tell anyone that is looking for a religion to do a lot of research first, and if you go to one sit and listen for a very long time. Problem though with listening is that you can be sucked in. I remember reading an article in Psychology Today magazine, and how these psychologists went to a religious group to do research, and they were witnessed by this group daily, and they would have to go back to their hotel rooms and unbrainwash themselves. It was hard for them. I think the brain is easily manipulated. Just like the study where they had some people pretend to be guards; the others prisoners. And all the sudden the guards began abusing the prisoners. How easy the mind can be manipulated into joining or doing things it knows is wrong.
I think that the incessant need to belong is a real part of the problem. Religion is bigger than us than anyone of us could ever be. So that need to belong to such a group with their grand illusions of what they offer is allot of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Sometimes cults and those religions bordering on being a cult leave scars that are so deeply embedded in your mind that they affect your beliefs even though you are convinced that you are free. You don't realize you may still have healing to do until years later..Like now..with me..This thread and the other two about the JW's and the threads in the past about the CofC are opening wounds that never really healed..I am referring to a wound as a piece of doctrine that was so pretty you just convinced yourself that it was true..and now you realize that you need to search a little further..But I think that none of us will ever have all the right answers until we are face to face with Him...Maybe doubting some of the things you believe in is a way of bringing us closer to God for the answers that we desire, but just can't trust religion to answer for us because of the ones you once belonged to who wanted to control..
I think the embedding is true. I think that it can become almost instinctual to a point. As far as healing have you read any books by de-programmers? Maybe that would help.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
"and many will come in my name"

and what protects us? Troop hit the nail on the head... although he may not know it. He would make one fine Christian... and I pray for him.

Guilt... it is the work of satan. If you are a believer and you know your sins are forgiven, then what power can guilt have over you? Is it not enough that God has thrown your sin into the deepest parts of the sea? as far as the east is from the west? and has forgtten them. The slate is clean.

Conviction is not the same as guilt... guilt is an from external situations that you manifest internally... conviction is from the Holy Spirit and come from within.
Guilt is a spear that destroys... conviction is a shield that protects.
Guilt is a human emotion. I think that anyone with a soul can be played the guilt card and it will work.
My husbands family are guilt using people, the best I've ever seen. It has taken me 15 yrs for him to see and get what they are doing to him, us our family.
The guilt riddled remarks means to be effective hard hitting remarks. That can send weak people running for the bible or another book!
It has been hard to let him know he is worthy of a good life even though he is not in that church.
Even though they know it might be wrong it is what they know especially if they grew up in it. That familiarity is part of the draw back in if they have strayed away.
Packed with the fact that you will be alone without your family in the after life and we want you with us forever because we love you.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:44 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Seems to me people join cults for the same reason they join gangs: a sense of belonging, and a sense of power. Prestige of some sort whether it's through violence, fear, intimidation. Cults and gangs both use brainwashing, and severe punishment if someone seeks to leave, or tell what is going on inside. Also power over others, whether its power and violence over non members or new initiates or people who try to leave the group. Scary stuff. Also extreme non-tolerance of anyone outside the group and a sense of superiority. So people who join need from a group a sense of special-ness or belonging or identity.

And the same brainwashing and intimidation techniques are used in other groups like fraternities, and by savvy government leaders and advertisers too.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:25 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,656 times
At the same time, it doesn’t do any good to throw the word “cult†around as a pejorative because someone disagrees doctrinally. I’ve seen that done on this forum to some pretty mainstream religions. It could be a bit like the “boy who cried wolf†if a real danger exists.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:46 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
I agree Coolcats..That is one reason I started this thread..I think the posters have described the patterns to look for in cults..Some are very subtle and though may not meet criteria to actually be called a cult, they are very close to it, just in the fact that they "suggest" you should do this or that..And they will pick out certain verses of the bible and will try to convince you that it really is not literal but a code or is only meant for a few to understand..When they make you feel inferior to other people within the congregation and your home..These, IMO may not fit every rule of a cult, but can do as much damage to someone..

Old 12-19-2007, 11:53 AM

Why would someone try to disparage anyone else's experience with this?

Old 12-19-2007, 05:26 PM

919 posts, read 3,185,165 times
These, IMO may not fit every rule of a cult, but can do as much damage to someone..

I agree

Old 12-19-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondD View Post
Seems to me people join cults for the same reason they join gangs: a sense of belonging, and a sense of power. Prestige of some sort whether it's through violence, fear, intimidation. Cults and gangs both use brainwashing, and severe punishment if someone seeks to leave, or tell what is going on inside. Also power over others, whether its power and violence over non members or new initiates or people who try to leave the group. Scary stuff. Also extreme non-tolerance of anyone outside the group and a sense of superiority. So people who join need from a group a sense of special-ness or belonging or identity.

And the same brainwashing and intimidation techniques are used in other groups like fraternities, and by savvy government leaders and advertisers too.
I believe you are right!

Old 12-20-2007, 03:17 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondD View Post

I absolutely agree.

Why do people join cults? I suspect due to the perceived illusion of the inclusion (collective identity) that they would seem to provide.

--Along with the fact that human beings are vulnerable, and cults appeal to one's sense of aggrandizement.

Take gentle Christmas care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality