Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 08:56 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomTooth 359 View Post
No some people are gifted to 'hear' the music,but others are not given this by God,as they have not merited it;
I am a Christian who believes in reincarnation,that we have lived many lives so that we may 'evolve',to
wards God,and that atheism is a lack of the gift of the Holy.Spirit:whereas those who have this gift can 'hear' God,and only those who have it will have works which endure.Atheism on any grand scale is relatively new ,do not mix up atheism with scepticism of formal religion .
That's very convenient, asserting that those who haven't found God haven't been given the means to find him. You must realize that many of us Atheists were once Christians. Did God suddenly remove his "gift" from us?
Which is more likely, that you've been provided the "Truth", as compared to billions of others who live today and who have lived, by a celestial friend or that you are mistaken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 09:21 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3HUNNA View Post
All I want to know is how so many people can be so sure of God's existence and how I can be one of these people, basically.

How will God destroy me? Simply, I keep running into people claiming there is a hell and that I need to believe in their God or else I am going to it. Ok. Well how is it that I can go to hell if I am made by a perfect God who makes no mistakes?

Also, if God is faith, pure, true, without hesitation, doubt, or need of tangible proof that He exists, then how can I get to the point of believing in Him wholeheartedly? And can I ever be sure that when I do find God I am indeed worshiping a real God?
God is eventually going to save all mankind (please see 1 Timothy 2:4-6 and 1 Timothy 4:10 and Romans 5:18,19.

The worst that could happen to you is if God inters you into death again which the bible calls the 2nd death. This will be until death is abolished and then you will be saved.

There is not one verse in all the Bible that if you don't believe in God that you will go to hell. Such ones who claim as much are simply misinformed.

How can you know God exists? Look all around you, at the universe, at nature. These things just could not all occur by accident and all work in harmony.

Please read Romans 4 to the end. Notice all God did was tell Abraham he would have a son and Abraham believed God. That's all he did. He just took God at His word. Now read what Paul said near the end of Romans 4.

"yet the promise of God was not doubted in unbelief, but he was invigorated by faith, giving glory to God,
being fully assured also, that, what He has promised, He is able to do also." Wherefore, also, it is
reckoned to him for righteousness." Now it was not written because of him only, that it is reckoned to
him, but because of us also, to whom it is about to be reckoned, who are believing on Him Who rouses
Jesus our Lord from among the dead. Who was given up because of our offenses, and was roused
because of our justifying." (Romans 4:20-25)

If you can just tell God: Okay, God, if You say Christ died for my sins and offenses, that He was entombed and that You raised Him from the dead, I believe You. If you truly do believe God concerning this then you are righteous, you are saved. You are sealed with the spirit of promise till the day of deliverance.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
God is eventually going to save all mankind (please see 1 Timothy 2:4-6 and 1 Timothy 4:10 and Romans 5:18,19.

The worst that could happen to you is if God inters you into death again which the bible calls the 2nd death. This will be until death is abolished and then you will be saved.

There is not one verse in all the Bible that if you don't believe in God that you will go to hell. Such ones who claim as much are simply misinformed.

How can you know God exists? Look all around you, at the universe, at nature. These things just could not all occur by accident and all work in harmony.

Please read Romans 4 to the end. Notice all God did was tell Abraham he would have a son and Abraham believed God. That's all he did. He just took God at His word. Now read what Paul said near the end of Romans 4.

"yet the promise of God was not doubted in unbelief, but he was invigorated by faith, giving glory to God,
being fully assured also, that, what He has promised, He is able to do also." Wherefore, also, it is
reckoned to him for righteousness." Now it was not written because of him only, that it is reckoned to
him, but because of us also, to whom it is about to be reckoned, who are believing on Him Who rouses
Jesus our Lord from among the dead. Who was given up because of our offenses, and was roused

If you can just tell God: Okay, God, if You say Christ died for my sins and offenses, that He was entombed and that You raised Him from the dead, I believe You. If you truly do believe God concerning this then you are righteous, you are saved. You are sealed with the spirit of promise till the day of deliverance.
I'm sure the OP realizes this to not be the case. As he, and even possibly you, know the Andromeda galaxy is heading directly for the Milky Way, causing a future cataclysmic cosmic event. There is no order to the universe, especially one imposed by an omnipotent being, especially when God's supposedly signature world will soon be destroyed naturally, relative to the age of the universe.
And, why would the OP tell God he believes him when God has obviously never spoken to the OP?

Old 06-24-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I'm sure the OP realizes this to not be the case. As he, and even possibly you, know the Andromeda galaxy is heading directly for the Milky Way, causing a future cataclysmic cosmic event. There is no order to the universe, especially one imposed by an omnipotent being, especially when God's supposedly signature world will soon be destroyed naturally, relative to the age of the universe.
And, why would the OP tell God he believes him when God has obviously never spoken to the OP?
I doubt the joining of both galaxies in 3.75 billion years will be cataclysmic. If they do join, they were supposed to and thus there is order in the universe.

God has spoken to us through His Son as written in the divine Scriptures.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I doubt the joining of both galaxies in 3.75 billion years will be cataclysmic. If they do join, they were supposed to and thus there is order in the universe.

God has spoken to us through His Son as written in the divine Scriptures.
So, you don't think the collision of billions of planets, stars, and moons will be cataclysmic? It will be the destruction of Earth and the entire solar system that was supposedly designed specifically for humans. It's not design, its nature and the result of the chaos that is this universe.

The Scriptures were written by men, not by any God or any son of his, and compiled by a group of theocrats.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
So, you don't think the collision of billions of planets, stars, and moons will be cataclysmic? It will be the destruction of Earth and the entire solar system that was supposedly designed specifically for humans. It's not design, its nature and the result of the chaos that is this universe.

The Scriptures were written by men, not by any God or any son of his, and compiled by a group of theocrats.

The stars have such huge gaps between them I doubt anyone will notice. I won't destroy our earth or solar system. It is perfectly designed, actually.

The Scriptures were written by men who had God's spirit and who wrote the words of His Son. The Compilers do not change that fact.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
The stars have such huge gaps between them I doubt anyone will notice. I won't destroy our earth or solar system. It is perfectly designed, actually.

The Scriptures were written by men who had God's spirit and who wrote the words of His Son. The Compilers do not change that fact.
The problem is that you don't know these men and are only using what they wrote to come to this conclusion. Were the members of the Council able to discern which author was "God inspired" and which were not, considering the authors had died centuries prior to the development of the present day Christian Bible?
The question is whether the Sun will nova before the galaxies' collision. Either way the Earth will no longer exist because it will be torn apart or sucked in by the Sun's nova if it doesn't collide with another cosmic body.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:49 PM

56 posts, read 44,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
What happens when monkeys die? What happens when dogs die? Why are "we" different?
Our capacity to think is probably a lot better, but besides that, I'd agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Sounds like a good avenue to explore and I agree that our consciousness is as good an indication as anything that there is a God.

If you consider eternal torment (punishment without any beneficial purpose) to be loving, then you have essentially redefined "love" to be the opposite of what it is in our reality. You've fallen dow the rabbit hole now, Alice. Off with your head!
I do not consider eternal punishment to be loving at all time. But I think that it's important to determine whether or not God is loving all of the time. If at all times God is loving, then you're right - hell cannot exist. But if God is not loving at all times, then there is a possibility that hell exists.

It's all really complicated, but the point is, we can't know until we die.

Quote:
No some people are gifted to 'hear' the music,but others are not given this by God,as they have not merited it;
I am a Christian who believes in reincarnation,that we have lived many lives so that we may 'evolve',to
wards God,and that atheism is a lack of the gift of the Holy.Spirit:whereas those who have this gift can 'hear' God,and only those who have it will have works which endure.Atheism on any grand scale is relatively new ,do not mix up atheism with scepticism of formal religion .
How did you come to all of this? Do you believe God is perfect? Can God make mistakes?

Quote:
If God is love then His laws are strict,but God is not just love He is endlessly creative,logical,and scientific,
and artistic.

All of creation is lawful ,and this is seen more and more .The great atheistic 'master',Richard Dawkins was
unquestioningly popular with the atheistic 'I am a law unto myself ,yea even a god, as I will live forever in a materialistic world of non created evolution brigade,has been found to have his big feet of clay

Like all atheistic créations ,those of Marx ,Darwin,Freud,and any other number, one can find their fruits die very quickly,and posterity finds them without life ,for they are without, the Light of the World.
If God is love, then can God be hate/evil at the same time? And is true love strict or is true love freedom? Why or why not?

I am glad you bring up God being logical. Is your God perfect? Is God all-knowing? Can God do anything that He wants?

Quote:

Interesting perspective.

You claim that all men will be saved. You also say that there is not one verse in the Bible claiming that if you don't believe, you go to hell. I would like to point you towards the following verses pertaining to hell:

Matthew 13:47-50, Matthew 25:43-46, and Revelation 21:5-8 among tons of other quotes within the Bible regarding hell.

What do you have to say about quotes like these which are found within the very same Bible that you used to quote 1 Timothy 2:4-6?

Is this merely an error? A contradiction? Did God insert the quotes into the Bible about hell via His servants, or did evil people do it to gain control over people? How do you know for certain?

Sure, when I look around, I may feel God is the glue that holds the universe together and is thus everywhere at the same time, but it isn't as if I can have a verbal conversation with Him to be certain of this.

Quote:
Agreed. If I tell God that I believe in despite the fact that I have serious doubts, then I'd be lying, and if this God was worth a damn, He'd know that.

I've asked God repeatedly to give me something that would make His existence to me indelible, and He has yet to do it. That being said, it doesn't mean that God won't do it in the future, but the point is, I'm not holding my breath.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 PM

48 posts, read 40,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3HUNNA View Post
Exactly. And yet, many will claim that despite what you've said above, God is real. You basically have to feel Him/Her/It and have faith. However, what I am looking for is someone to provide me with a detailed list of exactly how I (and ANYONE else) can feel God and have faith, and then provide me with a definitive way of being certain of whether or not what I am feeling/having faith in is indeed the REAL God.

If people cannot show me this, then it is VERY hard for me to believe. I cannot just "feel" like God may be real without knowing for CERTAIN, and if I cannot know for certain, then what is the point of feeling in the first place? To help me get through life? To help me feel better about myself? To help me feel as if everything is gonna be okay, or like life has some objective meaning ordained by a higher-power? Perhaps it does, but basically, how can you know for sure that it does?
Hello. I am confident that you will find God. If you sincerely seek, you will find. I believe that God is smiling down on you right now for wanting to find him and for your openness and humility. If you ask God to show himself to you and come into your life, then he will. Just be patient and listen. Spend some quiet time telling God about your struggles and basically pour your heart out to him. This has worked for me many times.
God just didn't leave us without any proof either that he exists. There have been so many miracles happening throughout the ages and this has helped me to believe myself. So many people being cured of "incurable" conditions/diseases, the beauty of a human being, animals, and nature. There has to be an intelligent design behind all this. We are not accidents without a purpose. We were created each with a purpose. God wants us to know him, to love him, to serve him in this life, and to be eternally happy with him for eternity in the next!

How I have come to know God as a Catholic Christian: Praying, reading the bible, reading other spiritual books such as the lives of the saints, going to Mass, going to confession, receiving the Eucharist, going to Eucharistic adoration, joining church groups and being around other people who share the faith and feeling the love of God through them.

Here is a list of some miracles you might enjoy reading about
Top 10 Astonishing Miracles - Listverse

Old 06-24-2014, 10:32 PM

130 posts, read 111,854 times
I wish i could find anything that distract me from my pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality