Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 07:33 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
AREQUIPA

It's not God -it's Thor. And He will use a bloody great hammer...

Ragnarök - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't think thor survives ragnarok.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:43 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domenic View Post
I was not talking about control. My statement was. "We are responsible for how we react to things. That we can control. That we can not put onto someone, or something else. We are the makers of how we react.
But "reaction" is different than "belief," and the main point of contention here was your assertion that a person chooses what he or she believes (not that a person chooses how to react).

That assertion is demonstrably false. As I asked before - could you get up tomorrow and believe, with all of your heart, that there is no God? Yeah, it's super-duper easy to claim that everyone can merely choose to believe in what you believe - because you already believe in it. But it's a horse of a different color when I ask you if you can believe in something tomorrow that you DO NOT believe in today. Then it becomes a bit stickier, doesn't it.

Quote:
As to religions being full of crap? Look at all my past post...I have stated, "All religions are false." Those on this forum who are members of religions do not like that statement. It is harder for these to get free of religion, than for an atheists become a Christian.
Domenic ... bitter pill to swallow or not, you -are- religious; you -do- subscribe to a specific religion. It may not be mainstream, but you have very specific beliefs about a very specific God and you still regard the Bible as sacrosanct. To a non-believer like me, that makes you religious - just your own take on Christianity.

Quote:
Believe about me what you will. What I believe, or do, does not effect you life, or death. Your position is between what you believe, and if God is real, or is not real. The road you follow is of your own making. If you find it leads nowhere...who will you blame...
That's true, you are not affecting my life as I am not affecting yours. We're just exchanging beliefs and discussing and criticizing them. That's what we're all here for, presumably.

As for blame, well ... as I said before: IF there is truly good and just god out there somewhere, I'm not going to be excluded just for not believing. The God you apparently worship is an egomaniac given that the only requirement - as you've said - is to believe in Jesus and essentially give your life over to him. Actually being a good person, well ... that's negotiable.

For me, I don't "blame" anyone, but if your version of God actually exists, he would have plenty to answer for.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:34 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Ragnarök - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't think thor survives ragnarok.
Sorry That was absolutely a kneejerk post.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:46 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Sorry That was absolutely a kneejerk post.
Actually...it's good you brought it up. I have not looked at Norse mythology for a while. It's funny to see (at least from my pov) some of the similarities between the whole end of the world/rebirth of world thing from different belief systems.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:11 AM

472 posts, read 385,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
But "reaction" is different than "belief," and the main point of contention here was your assertion that a person chooses what he or she believes (not that a person chooses how to react).

That assertion is demonstrably false. As I asked before - could you get up tomorrow and believe, with all of your heart, that there is no God? Yeah, it's super-duper easy to claim that everyone can merely choose to believe in what you believe - because you already believe in it. But it's a horse of a different color when I ask you if you can believe in something tomorrow that you DO NOT believe in today. Then it becomes a bit stickier, doesn't it.

Domenic ... bitter pill to swallow or not, you -are- religious; you -do- subscribe to a specific religion. It may not be mainstream, but you have very specific beliefs about a very specific God and you still regard the Bible as sacrosanct. To a non-believer like me, that makes you religious - just your own take on Christianity.

That's true, you are not affecting my life as I am not affecting yours. We're just exchanging beliefs and discussing and criticizing them. That's what we're all here for, presumably.

As for blame, well ... as I said before: IF there is truly good and just god out there somewhere, I'm not going to be excluded just for not believing. The God you apparently worship is an egomaniac given that the only requirement - as you've said - is to believe in Jesus and essentially give your life over to him. Actually being a good person, well ... that's negotiable.

For me, I don't "blame" anyone, but if your version of God actually exists, he would have plenty to answer for.
The Bible says those who do not believe in Jesus will stay in the grave until the 1,000 year rule of Jesus ends, then they will be brought before God for judgment... Judgment is always given to a guilty person. God is the creator. He can do what he will with what he has created. If they don't like what he does, he has the right to un-create them.
You say he has plenty to answer to. What will you do when he does not bow down to you, and "And answer for plenty?" And you call me the fool?

Old 06-29-2014, 10:27 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
The Bible says those who do not believe in Jesus will stay in the grave until the 1,000 year rule of Jesus ends, then they will be brought before God for judgment... Judgment is always given to a guilty person. God is the creator. He can do what he will with what he has created. If they don't like what he does, he has the right to un-create them.
You say he has plenty to answer to. What will you do when he does not bow down to you, and "And answer for plenty?" And you call me the fool?
The bible is wrong about many, many things. That's just one more.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:33 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Yes, seed has a way of changing DNA.
Not the seed again.
Enough about the seed.

Why don't you just say sperm like everyone else?

Old 06-29-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The bible is wrong about many, many things. That's just one more.
It is not wrong about you.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:42 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
It is not wrong about you.
Prove it.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Prove it.
I don't have to...God will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality