Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should this thread be moved ?
yes 4 28.57%
no 4 28.57%
maybe 0 0%
can't tell 1 7.14%
no opinion 1 7.14%
I pray 0 0%
I don't pray 1 7.14%
I vote 1 7.14%
I don't vote 1 7.14%
ASK Steven. 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 03:27 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,769 times

Advertisements

I mean in your real life, when no one is around... and you have a problem. Do you pray for an answer. Then like that guy in jail for twenty years, waits for 10 days and things start to change and he literally sees a light .... and DNS evidence is found to save him. (The Morton Case in Texas.) Politics and the law never helped him until he Prayed.

Praying is joked about and it seems like it does not and should not work... but our founding fathers prayed. It is not against the law. But what is it...I mean when it works.... how is it done. I know it works because I have done it... but is it believing that throws the lever...

Believing is a strong force... I say it's an energy force as Hawking said... part of the grand Design.

Does it work? Is it a natural phenomena?

Advertisers seem to like to use it... they cause us to believe things ... not always good for us.

So believing is not synonymous with goodness.

Politics must decide issues of good and evil. Or at least pretend to and make the populous think/ believe they do.

Last edited by bluescityleon; 06-25-2014 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: spellin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 03:43 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,767,769 times
Default I think you are on to something there.

Mod cut: Quoted post has been deleted).

So that guy in jail and other miracles ( SO CALLED ) They could be cause by the electromagnetic activity of the brain, and the feeling of belief is the way it is turned on?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2014 at 10:23 AM..

Old 06-25-2014, 07:10 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Which part of the question is related to writing?

Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Which part of the question is related to writing?
Thread has been moved from Writing to Religions.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:53 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Well, it's in the right place NOW. The OP doesn't really meet the title, imo. I was thinking in terms of how religion affects political choices and where lines should be drawn. As for how prayer may or may njot affect operation of the government, pray, it could help, but do something to improve the situation for everybody involved as well.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:07 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,047,184 times
To answer the original question, the United States believes in the separation of church and state.
That means that religion plays NO part in our government, except for some ultra-conservatives, who tend to believe that the United States should be a theocracy.
In other words, it doesn't matter in the slightest whether the President is a Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, atheist, or anything else.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:25 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
To answer the original question, the United States believes in the separation of church and state.
Actually, the founders recognized the need for recognition of the different roles assigned to church and state. These notions were a result of history (live and learn) and various philosophers and, dare I say, theologians. That's right, the Bible gives quite explicit guidance for assigning specified roles to the church and to the state.

...but then, it seems that most folks in today's culture are quite ignorant of the Bible. They often impugn and malign a book that they themselves have never taken much time to study.

Quote:
That means that religion plays NO part in our government, except for some ultra-conservatives, who tend to believe that the United States should be a theocracy.
Ever hear of the term "voting your conscience?" Last I knew, all laws (which by necessity IMPOSE some form of morality) originate and are passed by the legislature. "Religion" is a loaded term. In truth, everyone has a worldview - an individual philosophy of life - if you will. It seems logical to suppose that individual legislators will, in many cases, be inclined to vote according to their own philosophical leanings. So how would one go about policing a supposed "separation" between philosophy and government (state)?

It all strikes me as being rather absurd.

Quote:
In other words, it doesn't matter in the slightest whether the President is a Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, atheist, or anything else.
Truth cannot be contradictory. Truth matters to me.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:07 PM

472 posts, read 385,636 times
Well now...this is a subject that will divide voters. One side of the ship we have the Bible backers, and the other side of the ship we have those shouting "Separation." On the bridge of the ship...where the wheel that moves the rudder to steer the ship is, we find the captain. The question is, who controls the ship?

Old 06-27-2014, 07:58 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
I voted Bellybutton.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:47 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Ever hear of the term "voting your conscience?" Last I knew, all laws (which by necessity IMPOSE some form of morality) originate and are passed by the legislature. "Religion" is a loaded term. In truth, everyone has a worldview - an individual philosophy of life - if you will. It seems logical to suppose that individual legislators will, in many cases, be inclined to vote according to their own philosophical leanings. So how would one go about policing a supposed "separation" between philosophy and government (state)?
How one "polices" that separation is by determining whether the rationale for any law is purely religious or whether there are compelling secular reasons for that law. The point is that your conscience should not impose on me what is not clearly good sense from a secular point of view as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality