Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:13 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
When I look at this universe....particularly at sentient life....I'm puzzled. From a purely random scientific point of view sentient life makes no sense yet here we are. It's as if the universe was created to support life but there's no reason for that to be. The end result of everything that has happened up to this moment is you and I are having this conversation. Why? Why would the universe lead us here?
That's one of the strengths and weaknesses of the human mind. We don't like randomness. We want there to be a purpose for everything so that every action is but one small cog in a grand design. We're not content with accepting the idea that we're here simply because we got lucky; that we're not 'meant' to fulfill a purpose and the universe isn't all about us.

I certainly see no grand purpose for humanity; we're not building up to something. We're not in the "rising action" sequence of a novel with direction, leading up to some grand climax to be followed by falling action. Where do you see this being played out?

Thus, to even ask the question "Why?" presupposes there actually -is- a "why" to discover. This results in the same phenomenon of seeing faces in random arrangements of nacho particles, tree bark, water stains, and pizza toppings. We "see" purpose when there is none, but at least we're seeing what we want to see.

Quote:
I can buy the physical aspects of this universe as random events (if I could get past the notion of everything poofing into existence from nothing with no cause which I can't) but life makes no sense in a random universe. Everything serves a purpose in a random universe. I can't find a purpose for life itself let alone sentient life.
No one has ever said that the physical universe came into existence without a cause. Of course something caused it to happen. The debate is over what that cause happens to be. For people like myself, we simply cannot leap to gods and magic as a logical explanation - this idea is just a throwback to what our ancestors were very much prone to doing: attributing all unknowns to gods and the supernatural.

As for why you can't find a purpose to life - perhaps that is because there is no purpose. Far too many people, I think, would rather have a purpose assigned to them by some third party instead of having to decide for themselves what their individual purpose ought to be.

Quote:
I choose B. I'll go with something outside of this universe that is not subject to the laws of this universe created this universe with a purpose in mind. I do not pretend to know that purpose but I suspect sentient life has something to do with that purpose. When I look around I see a universe that seems to have been created with life in mind.
Except the universe is mostly hostile to life. Even our own planet is not all that conducive to life, and the more complex the life form, the more deadly the universe becomes.

Quote:
I choose B because IMO that this is by design makes far more sense than that we won the super universal lotto without even buying a ticket. I think something bought a ticket for us and that someone knew the winning combination to get us here. I find that more plausible than this all just happened all by itself out of nothing with no cause.
Magic and the supernatural are never plausible answers. Never, not once, has a magical explanation ever panned out to be true. Ever. To suggest that this one time magic suffices as a real possibility is like betting on a horse that hasn't won a race - ever - in the 100,000 or so years the horse has been racing.

I choose A, also, because of the horrific flaws found in the human body. Either the creator/designer is malicious or, at the very least, devious ... or ... the fact that we aren't better designed indicates an evolutionary process. That we simply haven't gotten there yet. Things like using the same passage to breathe as we do to eat and drink, or putting our reproductive organs right next to (and sometimes sharing the same function with) our waste disposal orifices are monumentally stupid ideas if an actual creator designed our bodies that way. As a matter of evolution, it makes far more sense given that evolution has to make a lot of "choices" and trade-offs to get biology to work.

Quote:
A single atom poofing into existence out of nothing with nothing causing it to poof into existence would be fantastically impossible but all of this? You and I? Occam's razor says you need go no further than the simplest explanation that will suffice.
People rely way too much on Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation often is -not- the right one. After all, we can study complex theories of gravity, mass, and dark matter - or we could just fall back on Occam's Razor by saying angels prevent things from falling up and floating away. Using magic as an explanation is the ultimate in Occam's Razor since "magic" will always be a bare assertion. Does anyone know -how- this "God" created the universe? Of course not ... people simply assert that God did it, thus providing no more information than we had before. Magic will -always- be the simplest explanation because it does not need an explanation. It just is.

Quote:
IMO God (a being that exists outside of this universe who is not subject to the laws of this universe) creating this is a simpler explanation than billions upon billions upon billions of random events that happened to stuff that poofed into existence from nothing with no cause.
How do you know that?

How can you possibly assess the complexity of God's actions when creating the universe? The mechanism by which God constructed all of this could have been infinitely more complex than the scientific explanation. Few people who believe in the "God" explanation ever bother to consider just -how- God created everything. It's just a "gimme" explanation. God did it. That's all. Nothing more. He just ... did.

Quote:
We are beings capable of discussing this and that is something that I just don't think would exist in a random universe. There's no purpose for it.
Your stumbling block, it would appear, is this insatiable need for purpose. I simply fail to understand why you think a purpose is even necessary. You might want there to be a purpose. You might want one really really badly. But that doesn't mean there -must- be one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 04:11 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He doesn't. The fact that the universe exists proves that something CAUSED it to exist. It's logical.
By that logic the existence of 'God' would prove that something caused 'God' to exist, eh?

Old 07-09-2014, 05:24 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
By that logic the existence of 'God' would prove that something caused 'God' to exist, eh?
I think this will answer your question.

If God Created Everything, Who Created God?

Who created God? Who made God? Where did God come from?

Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 PM

135 posts, read 128,107 times
Quote:
Not of you introduce special pleading! Bam! problem solved.

I'm not sure why so many theists think that a God solves the problem of infinite regression. The universe couldn't have existed forever or on it's own because nothing can be infinite. Therefore it's logical to assume that it was created by an infinite consciousness....

Old 07-09-2014, 07:23 PM

446 posts, read 485,257 times
Quote:
This is EXACTLY what makes him God. He is uncreated, he always existed.
If God was created then he is not God anymore.
If you think you or anything else that was NOT created and always existed then you or that thing could also qualify to be God.

Carefully watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XERGzdFh-ok

Old 07-09-2014, 07:29 PM

446 posts, read 485,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
That's one of the strengths and weaknesses of the human mind. We don't like randomness.
So tell me in a simple Yes or No answer. The creation of Universe happened randomly?

Old 07-09-2014, 07:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
So tell me in a simple Yes or No answer. The creation of Universe happened randomly?
I'm not Shirina and even if I lost 120 pounds, 40 years and had transgender surgery I couldn't play her on TV.

But...I'll vouchsafe an answer anywho:

It might have.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:49 PM

135 posts, read 128,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post
This is EXACTLY what makes him God. He is uncreated, he always existed.
If God was created then he is not God anymore.
If you think you or anything else that was NOT created and always existed then you or that thing could also qualify to be God.

Carefully watch this.
Exactly, special pleading. So rules apply to everything, even the universe but they don't not apply to your God. The universe could not have existed for an infinite amount of time because that's illogical but your God can? Ok well I guess that rule doesn't actually apply and the universe could have just existed for an infinite amount of time.

We COULD just call the Universe God like you suggest above but why do that? "Universe" is already a perfectly good word that does not carry all of the baggage that comes with the word "God". Calling whatever existed first or forever a God implies a lot of other things.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:17 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
The Buddha doesn't need an argument, because the Buddha is the only SuperGod, beyond the silly notion of Yahweh.

A creator and an imperfect creation = an imperfect creator. This is the idea behind why most Buddhist schools do not believe or don't worship people's "Creator" ideas. Yahweh falls into one of the Pseudo-Eternalistic delusions that a lot of the worldly anti-enlightenment people cling to.

Semi-eternalistic beliefs (aka Pseudo-eternalistic delusions)

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 07-09-2014 at 09:32 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 09:25 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The Buddha doesn't need an argument, because the Buddha is a SuperGod, beyond the silly notion of Yahweh. A creator and an imperfect creation = an imperfect creator.
Actually the defining characteristic of Buddhism as promoted by Gautama was No God. He didn't trust God and was afraid that if ANY permanent entity existed Samsara (the circle of life) could be restarted even after Nirvana. In short, Gautama didn't trust God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality