Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

Many are probably not surprised by the result, however, it is informative that the results are statistically relevant.

Children Exposed To Religion Have Difficulty Distinguishing Fact From Fiction, Study Finds

"The study found that, of the 66 participants, children who went to church or were enrolled in a parochial school were significantly less able than secular children to identify supernatural elements, such as talking animals, as fictional.

By relating seemingly impossible religious events achieved through divine intervention (e.g., Jesus transforming water into wine) to fictional narratives, religious children would more heavily rely on religion to justify their false categorizations."

After all, if one believes in talking snakes, why would one not believe in a talking wolf?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 10:23 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,029,470 times
I would be more worried if adults were unable to distinguish facts from fiction. Oh wait...

Old 07-23-2014, 10:48 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Many are probably not surprised by the result, however, it is informative that the results are statistically relevant.

Children Exposed To Religion Have Difficulty Distinguishing Fact From Fiction, Study Finds

"The study found that, of the 66 participants, children who went to church or were enrolled in a parochial school were significantly less able than secular children to identify supernatural elements, such as talking animals, as fictional.

By relating seemingly impossible religious events achieved through divine intervention (e.g., Jesus transforming water into wine) to fictional narratives, religious children would more heavily rely on religion to justify their false categorizations."

After all, if one believes in talking snakes, why would one not believe in a talking wolf?
Does that study include the fairy tales of evolution and atheism?

Old 07-23-2014, 11:05 AM

618 posts, read 541,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Hello Pastor Vizio.

I had let the conversation drop, but since you are going to bring up evolution again, I'm still waiting for your response in this thread: Abiogenesis?

Thanks.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:08 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,847,256 times
I went to church as a child a lot and i believed in Santa and all that jazz. I think the study is slightly off but i could see their side.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 AM

135 posts, read 128,123 times
Not exactly the most shocking results but interesting that an actual study was done. I would love to see a study done on adults to see if the religious are more susceptible to pseudo science claims and scams.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:19 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
As long as they know that if you drag a saw across the top of someone's head (other than Curly Howard), it won't bend the saw teeth, it will cut them right down to their skull.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:47 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
If it did, hopefully they would be able to distinguish on the basis of evidence and reason

Evolution - factually supported to fact - pretty much.

abiogenesis- plausible and some circumstantial evidence, but not factually supported. A Hypothesis.

Bible = Fairy tales.

Over to you, Vizio. Let's see your sound reasoning and evidence for your position. We are still waiting.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:21 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
If it did, hopefully they would be able to distinguish on the basis of evidence and reason

Evolution - factually supported to fact - pretty much.

abiogenesis- plausible and some circumstantial evidence, but not factually supported. A Hypothesis.

Bible = Fairy tales.

Over to you, Vizio. Let's see your sound reasoning and evidence for your position. We are still waiting.
To be accurate, you should include the fairy tale of atheism in that query, Arequipa. I don't see how anybody can construct a fairy tale from a single statement of disbelief.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
To be accurate, you should include the fairy tale of atheism in that query, Arequipa. I don't see how anybody can construct a fairy tale from a single statement of disbelief.
Once upon a time there was a handsome prince who was an atheist. As he rode from castle to castle he carried with him a glass slipper. When he found a beautiful princess whose foot fit in the glass slipper he knew he'd found another atheist. They got married in a short civil ceremony at City Hall and lived happily ever after.

The end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality