Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:45 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear everyone's opinion whether or not they consider masturbation a sin.

There is the biblical story about a fellow named Onan, and many people consider his sin was masturbation ... or "spilling his seed on the ground." Other claim it was disobeying God.

What is your opinion?

If you're a believer and have masturbated, how do you defend your behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 08:57 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,355 times
No sin

Old 07-13-2014, 09:21 AM

446 posts, read 484,898 times
I think there are much, much bigger sins to worry about than masturbation.

The biggest and unforgivable sin is to associate partners with the creator. There is ONE God.

Then there is taking life of innocent people, fornicating, lying, cheating, stealing, deceiving, creating trouble, causing mistrust, back stabbing, etc etc.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:42 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,527,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I would like to hear everyone's opinion whether or not they consider masturbation a sin.

There is the biblical story about a fellow named Onan, and many people consider his sin was masturbation ... or "spilling his seed on the ground." Other claim it was disobeying God.

What is your opinion?

1. I don't believe Onan is about masturbation.
2. I do not make a blanket statement about masturbation.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:47 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post

The biggest and unforgivable sin is to associate partners with the creator. There is ONE God.

Then there is taking life of innocent people, fornicating, lying, cheating, stealing, deceiving, creating trouble, causing mistrust, back stabbing, etc etc.
So that's a 'yes'?

Old 07-13-2014, 10:54 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,220 times
My greatest fear is that when I hit the Pearly Gates I'll be 35 cents short.

PS For those too young to know. the comedian who passed himself off as Father Guido Sarducci had a great routine on The Wages of Sin. I have been unsuccessful in locating a public copy lo all these years. But I did find this quote:
Life is a job. You get $14.50 a day, but after you die, you have to pay for your sins. Stealing a hub cap is around $100. Masturbation is 35 cents (it doesn't seem like much, but it adds up). If there's money left when you subtract what you owe from what you've earned, you can go to heaven. If not, you have to go back to work. (Sort of like reincarnation -- many nuns are Mafia guys working it off.)

Old 07-13-2014, 11:10 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times
In the old testament sin was the lack of obedience to the written law God established to the Jews.
Jesus provided via the Holy Spirit the capacity to have God's instruction personally ,
Out side this new access of the knowledge of God's will , would be sin.
So they with out this fellowship with God can only sin.
Sin is self government.
There are some things God want's me to do in a particular moment ,and thing not to do in a particular moment not so much the deed but the timing and the particulars of the situation.
As for something selfish , for me there is no general blanket approval or disapproval as with all things , it's important to ask.
To understand they more succinctly for one to honestly call Jesus Lord ,He actually needs to have that much influence.
To falsely call Him Lord, is a lie, He would be forced to judge, not defend. Matthew 7;21,22,23,
From issues of satisfying my self (what ever I might feel the need is), to driving, or meeting the need of a stranger, or friend , That's giving him govern in my life, over self govern.
Blessed are they that do hunger and thirst after righteousness(God govern), for they shall be filled."

Old 07-13-2014, 11:25 AM

17,777 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

What is your opinion?

LOL, I wonder if LYING about masturbating is a sin?

Old 07-13-2014, 12:11 PM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
[quote=arleigh;35630851]
There are some things God want's me to do in a particular moment ,and thing not to do in a particular moment not so much the deed but the timing and the particulars of the situation.
.................snip...........As for something selfish , for me there is no general blanket approval or disapproval as with all things , it's important to ask
quote]

I doubt even we non-sin-believing atheists would think it acceptable to do it just any old time or place.

Does this mean you ask for approval before starting? And do you ever get a " No,don't do that!!"

Oh and BTW.....are you saying it's a sin sometimes but not always?

Old 07-13-2014, 12:34 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll0OoO0ll View Post

LOL! The fact that you put fornicating on that list is hilarious.

It reminds me of that game on Seseme Street where you had to figure out which one of four things didn't belong.

Three of these things belong together,
Three of these things are kinda the same.

But one of these things just doesn't belong here,
And now it's time to play our game.

Can you guess which thing just doesn't belong,
Dee deedee dee deedee deedeedeedee
By the time I finish my song ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality