Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 03:30 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,224,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The same people you referred to that were hurt when the wooden boats showed up.
Actually, that's not what I said. I referred only to something learned because of the imposition of fundamentalist beliefs. Which is why I had to ask you who "his people" were/are.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-05-2014 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 03:49 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,218,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Actually, that's not what I said. I referred only to something learned because of the imposition of fundamentalist beliefs. Which is why I had to ask you who "his people" were/are.
Pardon me....I must have misunderstood what you said.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Pardon me....I must have misunderstood what you said.
No problem. Truth be known I took "his people" to mean God's chosen people. Which made no sense in this context so I asked for a clarification.

Yes, it's true. I do pay attention to context.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:09 AM

192 posts, read 270,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I just recieved a pay raise. Did god give it to me?
Only if he siggs your paycheck.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:34 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,636,124 times
I just recieved a pay raise. Did god give it to me?

Do you work for God?

Old 08-10-2014, 11:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
It seems like people like to equate good things with god and bad things with the devil.

Or sometimes people will equate bad things with "god is testing me"

Where does this sort of thinking come from?
Where does it come from? It comes from pure faith and the belief God is in control. This does not mean we always get what we want or the devil made us do it. My theory has been: God gives us the ability to do certain things: how we handle that ability is up to us. And yes, many people d think God tests us: I am one of those. God being in control does not mean God controls every move we make. I also believe everything that happens in our lives, happens for a reason, but not always for the best.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:22 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,330,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Where does it come from? It comes from pure faith and the belief God is in control. This does not mean we always get what we want or the devil made us do it. My theory has been: God gives us the ability to do certain things: how we handle that ability is up to us. And yes, many people d think God tests us: I am one of those. God being in control does not mean God controls every move we make. I also believe everything that happens in our lives, happens for a reason, but not always for the best.
I'm still waiting for someone to explain why an OMNISCIENT god needs to dish out tests?

What can an omniscient god find out from a test that he wouldn't already know through being, well, omniscient?

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. None.

Like I always say, God is the 1st World problem solver.

Which is essentially saying that the more financial and personnel resources a person has, the more likely God will answer a prayer. Funny how that works, no? Because prayers are almost never answered without someone doing something to bring about the prayer's answer. The OP didn't get a pay raise out of the blue - there was a reason for it, and it had nothing to do with God wanting him to have it. Either he worked his tail off to earn it or it was a standard "cost of living" raise that most companies give out from time to time. To claim the raise had its roots in the supernatural is just plain barmy, as far as I'm concerned.

It reminds me of saying grace at the dinner table.

The farmer grows and harvests the crops, a truck driver transports the crops to a factory where workers package the food. Another truck driver transports the food to a grocery store where a grocer sells it and a cashier conducts the financial transaction. Then you and your family drive to the store, purchase the food with money you had to work for, then you bring the food home where it is cooked and served ... by you.

But when it comes time for the thanking, God gets ALL of the credit. I mean, where was God in that chain of events that brought food to your table? Nothing about your food came about through a miraculous event, nothing about your meal required a god to make it all possible. Yet God gets all of the credit while we humans do all of the work.

And STILL people think that God is in control. It's mind-boggling to say the least.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

The farmer grows and harvests the crops, a truck driver transports the crops to a factory where workers package the food. Another truck driver transports the food to a grocery store where a grocer sells it and a cashier conducts the financial transaction. Then you and your family drive to the store, purchase the food with money you had to work for, then you bring the food home where it is cooked and served ... by you.

But when it comes time for the thanking, God gets ALL of the credit. I mean, where was God in that chain of events that brought food to your table? Nothing about your food came about through a miraculous event, nothing about your meal required a god to make it all possible. Yet God gets all of the credit while we humans do all of the work.
You would be surprised by grace in my family. Does God get thanked? Yes. So does the person(s) who worked hard to buy put the food on the table and the person(s) who prepared it.

Durn progressives acknowledging the worker!

Old 08-11-2014, 09:53 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,330,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You would be surprised by grace in my family. Does God get thanked? Yes. So does the person(s) who worked hard to buy put the food on the table and the person(s) who prepared it.

Durn progressives acknowledging the worker!
I'm shocked!

Dismayed!

Appalled!

Horrified!

Flabbergasted!

I even went out and bought a thesaurus so I could look up even more things I can be ... in response to your progressive Christianity.

How dare you!

Old 08-11-2014, 05:55 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,921,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to explain why an OMNISCIENT god needs to dish out tests?

What can an omniscient god find out from a test that he wouldn't already know through being, well, omniscient?

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. None.

Like I always say, God is the 1st World problem solver.

Which is essentially saying that the more financial and personnel resources a person has, the more likely God will answer a prayer. Funny how that works, no? Because prayers are almost never answered without someone doing something to bring about the prayer's answer. The OP didn't get a pay raise out of the blue - there was a reason for it, and it had nothing to do with God wanting him to have it. Either he worked his tail off to earn it or it was a standard "cost of living" raise that most companies give out from time to time. To claim the raise had its roots in the supernatural is just plain barmy, as far as I'm concerned.

It reminds me of saying grace at the dinner table.

And STILL people think that God is in control. It's mind-boggling to say the least.
"Thanking God for the food on your table when millions of people to hungry every single day is like thanking a serial killer because he didn't kill YOU."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality