Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 01:37 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Actually it is my favorite subject.
Does light have mass?
Do you even know what light consists of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 01:44 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Only if it's Catholic.

Burn. lol

Old 08-23-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Do you even know what light consists of?
What is energy?

Old 08-23-2014, 02:29 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Everybody on this thread: Do no harm.

Vizio: I can't hear you! Neener neener.
And "do no harm" is nothing more than an opinion. I'm asking for someone to explain to me how "do no harm" is authoritative.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Then us. Who else could there be?
Who is "us"? Our society? You? Me? The Nazis? Whatever group is in charge?
Quote:

I believe, Vision, this is the nearest thing to a quick answer you can expect. I recall I asked you to define what YOU thought it was.

In fact morality is both simple and complex. What is good or bad. With the implication that I choose the good. Simple. But you will then complicate matters by asking about why good for me is good for everyone else. So then we get negotiations, give and take and, the wider the circle of contects gets, the larger the amount of concensus there has to be. So I will essay a definition without cribbing the dictionary - a concensus of agreement between humans about doing what is most beneficial fo all.

If you have any problems with that, Visio, let's hear them.

I venture to say that I like it FAR better that 'The arbitrary dictates of a number on mythical beings'
Yet...we see human beings that disagree with your system. By what authority do you condemn them? The Nazis didn't seem to think they needed to submit to you, or anyone else.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
At least we make the attempt.

Where is yours?

By the way, this is not some lecture hall where you're the professor with the correct answer and we're all the blundering students taking wild stabs in the dark.
Yet.....you guys are filling the role perfectly. The thread was started to debate morality. I just asked for a simple definition of morality....and not a single person can give me an example of morality that is applicable to every single human that has ever lived.

Not one.

Nope.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yet.....you guys are filling the role perfectly. The thread was started to debate morality. I just asked for a simple definition of morality....and not a single person can give me an example of morality that is applicable to every single human that has ever lived.

Not one.

Nope.
Are you an Atheist or an Anarchist?

Old 08-23-2014, 02:55 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:

Not one.

Nope.
You are being dense.

Do no harm is a system of morality.

No system of morality has been handed down by an authority, because this authority figure does not exist.

No system of morality is 100% definitive, clearly defined and unanimously agreed upon. There will always be individuals or groups who run counter to this. This does not invalidate morality. It simply means that somebody has rejected morality.

The nazis were wrong. The Jews, gays, Africans, Romani, and every other person harmed in the holocaust would have agreed with this, and would have pointed to "do no harm" as the reason why. The allies as a group, the various resistance units in occupied Europe, and large portions of the citizenry of Germany and Italy agreed, and worked together to overthrow them, simply because it was completely evident to virtually every human on the planet that the nazis were immoral rotten bastards.

But somehow you cannot see this.

The source of morality is derived from what is best for us as individuals, tempered by our existence within social structures.

It is subjective to us as a species. Every single person on this thread has pretty clearly admitted that.

So at the moment, you are claiming some sort if weird victory because you agree with every other person on the post.

How much clearer can I make this. Do no harm, as a system of morality works because we, as a species agree that it does. It is not perfect, and parts of our species will deny it. It is up to the rest of our species, working collectively, to enforce this morality. This moral code will develop and adapt over time based upon circumstance.

Now, can you please get beyond your incessant "why", "where does it come from" and "but nazis" and try and make a valid argument as to why this system is wrong, or .... Propose a superior system. If you can do that, I am all ears. I would love a perfect, infallible system of morality. Show me one.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:58 PM

But you are right. No human is without sin.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:56 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Who is "us"? Our society? You? Me? The Nazis? Whatever group is in charge?

Yet...we see human beings that disagree with your system. By what authority do you condemn them? The Nazis didn't seem to think they needed to submit to you, or anyone else.
I gave you the best definition or description I could, which is what you asked for. So you can find objections to it. So we can with the supposed morality from the Bible - and other religions. This gets us nowhere. If we don't believe the religions, then they have no more authority than the various groups of humans - who come up with remarkably similar answers.

I don't see where this is getting us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality