Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 02:38 PM

348 posts, read 294,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
This might help: See Ethics (moral philosophy) in Wikipedia and specifically Descriptive Ethics. It is not separate from morality in general but there are different levels of discussing and explaining morality. I am actually trying to bring Vizio back to reality instead hiding out in his metaphysical world and refusing to engage practically or epistemologically.

a curve ball, your speaking in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 02:46 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophronius View Post
a curve ball, your speaking in general.
A Good Philosopher has many different pitches it is not my fault if the batter strikes out.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:54 PM

348 posts, read 294,670 times
Thanks as usual for the time, gotta get going.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:05 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
This might be impossible since he seems not to understand the issues here. He just invokes God and stamps objective on it and then ask everyone else to do the labor he refuses to do.
Thanks to you guys for allowing me to live rent-free in your heads. It's amazing how you continue to discuss me.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Another slight moving of the goalposts, but ok...

We don't have to. For example, I consider propagating religion to be immoral. It is detrimental to those who buy into it and can cause harm. Therefore what you do on Sundays is, in my view, immoral. I understand and accept that you do not agree and do not feel bound by my moral judgnent.
Again....we have not established that we determine morality according to your system of "is it harmful".

Why is that the system to use?
Quote:
This moral judgment is completely different from law. At the moment, the law supports you and declares it to be your right to be immoral, and most likely always will support you.
That's a non-issue. Stop moving the goalposts.
Quote:
Take a different topic, like murder. The concensus of society is that murder is immoral, and the force of law backs up societies view. Just like slavery. You consider it to be morally justified, but society does not. It doesn't really matter what you think, the concensus of the other people in your society overrules you.

Sometimes laws are moral, other times they are not. That view differs from one person to another.
It is immoral, yes. But how does consensus determine morality? Why is it the method to use?

Old 09-21-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Can you explain how your subjective morality is capable of judging that someone's subjective morality in 2014 is not capable of judging Nazi Germany in 1943? Why is your subjective conclusion on this matter any more valid than someone's subjective conclusion that they can? Do you not understand the trap you are setting for yourself every time you type your subjective opinion and conclusions about our subjective opinions and conclusions? In order for you to refute or deny our subjective conclusions being able to judge you have to judge our conclusion using your subjective judgment. Hello!

The 1943 Nazis did not care what your system of morality is. They determined they were going to do it their way. They decided killing Jews was moral. Who are you to disagree?
Quote:

Do you not understand that no one has actually tried to argue that an individual's subjective view is authoritative over anyone else's subjective view. Therefore, that is a straw man on your part.That being said it is consensus (inter-subjective persons) that renders the authority by means of enforcement of that consensus. That's it - that is the world we actually live in - and you can't argue against that fact whether your god exists or not.

Furthermore, I and others have answered how we can judge human actions, you just don't like the answers and do nothing to refute them other than by shear unsubstantiated assertions to the contrary and refuse to answer any questions put to you.

You're bankrupt and broken on the matter.
Then you have no answer for what is moral and what is not. All you have is your personal opinion.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:13 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It is immoral, yes. But how does consensus determine morality? Why is it the method to use?
The same moral system that I and many others have repeated a few dozen times on this thread.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:15 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
The 1943 Nazis did not care what your system of morality is. They determined they were going to do it their way. They decided killing Jews was moral. Who are you to disagree?
The Jews disagreed.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:15 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You can't and that applies to your morality as well, Vizio. No matter what morality you use it is subjective based on what YOU personally believe is its source. Your source is the God you believe in as described in the Bible that YOU subjectively believe is authoritative. Others do NOT! Your attempt to pretend that it is objective is silly. The ONLY objective and absolute morality is the one based on our purpose for existing, period.The problem becomes discerning what that purpose IS. It is not to OBEY YOUR God's caprice, Vizio! We are not toys or pets or puppets for YOUR God's entertainment. There is a genuine purpose for our existence and it is to produce agape love. Everything that is constructive to agape love is moral. Everything that is destructive to agape love is immoral. If it is neither constructive nor destructive it is amoral.
Quote:
This might be impossible since he seems not to understand the issues here. He just invokes God and stamps objective on it and then ask everyone else to do the labor he refuses to do.
Amen. He has no other agenda. He actually thinks his morality is objective, absolute and authoritative. He clearly has no clue what those words mean.
Quote:
Thanks to you guys for allowing me to live rent-free in your heads. It's amazing how you continue to discuss me.
Your obtuseness about your own claims regarding morality are what continue to amaze us, Vizio. It is so egregious it has to be deliberate.
Quote:
Again....we have not established that we determine morality according to your system of "is it harmful".
Why is that the system to use?
That's a non-issue. Stop moving the goalposts.
WE have established many things. YOU have established NOTHING. See my post above which you routinely ignore, Vizio. it is absolute, objective and authoritative on many levels. YOUR morality is NONE of those things.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:07 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Vizio let's go really slow here:

Do you believe that morality is subjective or objective?

I believe it is subjective.

Now go ahead and answer the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality