Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 03:36 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Oh right.

So if the shoe were on the other foot and same-sex marriages were the norm, would you knuckle under and marry another guy even though the idea is repugnant to you?
They aren't. It's a moot point.

If you don't want to get married within the bounds of society's rules regarding marriage, then don't get married. It's not that complicated.

Do you drive a car? Do you whine about it because they put limits on what you want to drive? Do you complain because you have to keep it under the speed limit? Or because you have to wear a seat belt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 03:38 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Seriously?
Yeah, seriously.

Quote:
The idea that a monument with a Bible verse can't be placed on public ground because it is the same as "establishment of a religion" is not allowed, but you think that a law banning marriage between a methodist and a baptist is something that would be allowable?
Under the 1st Amendment, yes. How would a law banning interfaith CIVIL marriages prevent one from exercising his religion? Civil marriages have nothing whatsoever to do with religion, so how would such a law violate the 1st Amendment?

Such a law would of course violate the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment - unless perhaps someone made that case that religion is not "an intrinsic quality or characteristic that is any more deserving of legal protection than any other preference."

Old 12-27-2014, 03:38 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
There is no "discrimination". Gay people have exactly the same rights to marriage.
Do you have any conception at all how stupid this argument is?

Any?

Any at all?

Old 12-27-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
There is no "discrimination". Gay people have exactly the same rights to marriage.
Why won't you answer my question? I'll ask it again:

Would it be fine and dandy for civil marriage laws to discriminate on the basis or sexual orientation since it's not been shown to be an intrinsic quality or a characteristic otherwise deserving of legal protection? Yes or no?

Old 12-27-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Yeah, seriously.

Under the 1st Amendment, yes. How would a law banning interfaith CIVIL marriages prevent one from exercising his religion? Civil marriages have nothing whatsoever to do with religion, so how would such a law violate the 1st Amendment?

Such a law would of course violate the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment - unless perhaps someone made that case that religion is not "an intrinsic quality or characteristic that is any more deserving of legal protection than any other preference."
Congress shall make no law concerning the establishment of a religion. If you can't see how that would affect my ability to practice my religion, I really don't have much I can say to you.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Why won't you answer my question? I'll ask it again:

Would it be fine and dandy for civil marriage laws to discriminate on the basis or sexual orientation since it's not been shown to be an intrinsic quality or a characteristic otherwise deserving of legal protection? Yes or no?
I'm sorry. It's an invalid question. There is no such thing as sexual orientation.

If you mean attraction or preference..I don't see how such a law could be enforced.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Why won't you answer my question?
Because avoiding questions is what Viz does best.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Congress shall make no law concerning the establishment of a religion. If you can't see how that would affect my ability to practice my religion, I really don't have much I can say to you.
I don't see. Please explain it to me - if it's so simple, then explaining it should be relatively easy.

Explain to me how not being able to contract a civil marriage - something completely unconnected and unrelated to religion - with someone of a different faith would prevent you from practicing your religion.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:46 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
They aren't. It's a moot point.
It's only a moot point because you're doing just what I knew you'd do - avoid answering the question.

Because you know full well that you would be pretty upset if you were only allowed to marry a man.

You just can't admit it because it would undermine your defense. No matter, though. Your dodging and ducking the question says just as much.

Quote:
If you don't want to get married within the bounds of society's rules regarding marriage, then don't get married. It's not that complicated.
LOL! Yeah, too bad society's rules regarding marriage now includes allowing members of the same gender to marry each other.

It's not that complicated.

Quote:
Do you drive a car? Do you whine about it because they put limits on what you want to drive? Do you complain because you have to keep it under the speed limit? Or because you have to wear a seat belt?
You're just full of lousy comparisons tonight.

Allow me to make it a more apt example:

How about a law which says that men can drive 65 mph while women must drive 55 mph because a) my religion says women driving faster than 55 mph are abominations, b) women have traditionally driven at 55 mph, and c) I don't like women.

And if women don't like it, they can simply refuse to drive. If women want to drive at 65 mph, they can always get a sex change operation.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:46 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,623 times
Quote:
I'm sorry. Obviously I didn't see it. If you'd like to put the link up again, I'd be happy to look at it. I really don't care to page back through all the posts to find it.

In any event, I have yet to see the argument made that sexual preference is an intrinsic trait that is the same as skin color.
Oh please. It's completely obvious that that wouldn't matter to you anyways. Scientists could identify the "gay gene" and you would still fight them on it. (FYI there is a lot of info about biological differences between heterosexuals and homosexuals.)

The fact that you deny the consensus of every major medical association in the United States just to support your view is very telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality