Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 11:30 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Can you document that it was a normal, accepted practice as widespread as male/female marriage?
Why yes I can!! And from a common source--Wikipedia

Quote:
It was expected and socially acceptable for a freeborn Roman man to want sex with both female and male partners, as long as he took the penetrative role. The morality of the behavior depended on the social standing of the partner, not gender per se. Both women and young men were considered normal objects of desire, but outside marriage a man was supposed to act on his desires only with slaves, prostitutes (who were often slaves), and the infames. Gender did not determine whether a sexual partner was acceptable, as long as a man's enjoyment did not encroach on another man's integrity. It was immoral to have sex with another freeborn man's wife, his marriageable daughter, his underage son, or with the man himself; sexual use of another man's slave was subject to the owner's permission. Lack of self-control, including in managing one's sex life, indicated that a man was incapable of governing others; too much indulgence in "low sensual pleasure" threatened to erode the elite male's identity as a cultured person
Homosexuality in ancient Rome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the underwriter and commissioner of the most prolific English Bible, King James I, was gay.
Quote:
How many folks know that King James (who commissioned the King James Bible and to whom it was dedicated) loved men and had sex with them? At the age of thirteen James fell madly in love with his male cousin Esme Stuart whom he made Duke of Lennox. James deferred to Esme to the consternation of his ministers. In 1582 James was kidnapped and forced to issue a proclamation against his lover and send him back to France.

Later, James fell in love with a poor young Scotsman named Robert Carr. "The king leans on his [Carr's] arm, pinches his cheeks, smooths his ruffled garment, and when he looks upon Carr, directs his speech to others." (Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, in a letter, 1611)

Carr eventually ended the relationship after which the king expressed his dissatisfaction in a letter to Carr, "I leave out of this reckoning your long creeping back and withdrawing yourself from lying in my chamber, notwithstanding my many hundred times earnest soliciting you to the contrary...Remember that (since I am king) all your being, except your
breathing and soul, is from me." (See The Letters of King James I & VI, ed., G. P. V. Akrigg, Univ. of Calif. Press, 1984. Also see Royal Family, Royal Lovers: King James of England and Scotland, David M. Bergeron, Univ. of Missouri Press, 1991)
History and Theology: King James was Gay

I love the irony of the King James Bible being commissioned by a gay man!

So now, Vizio, you have your documentation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 11:40 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
No, the term Christian is applied now to people who appear to be bigots. I'm a Jesus follower. I don't want to be identified in America as "Christian."

And it's so sweet of you to believe homosexuals are not discriminated against and there are laws to protect them--except that isn't factual. From Poltifact.Oregon, a non-biased operation reporting on political hype:
So you're New Age/Spiritualist. Great thank you for clarifying.

When have I ever said that homosexuals are not discriminated against? All I asked for you to do is show me where it happens in this town that would justify this law being necessary as it is written?

Quote:
Do most states allow employers to discriminate against gays and lesbians? | PolitiFact Oregon

Now try seeing what your life would be like if heterosexuality was in the minority and homosexuality was in the majority--and homosexuals acted like many heterosexuals do today. Personally, I doubt you have the fortitude to watch the entire short film to the end--where it says all the incidents were derived from real life cases involving homosexuals.

[youtube]

And if you did watch it all---welcome to the world of the Duggars.
And despite being asked, multiple times, you have provided no proof that discrimination is happening to the LGBT community in Fayetteville, that would justify this law. We aren't arguing about the country, we are talking about one small town in Arkansas. Again, the context you are using is wrong.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What would you feel better about being in the 'ladies room' with your girls, a transgender former 'man' that's now living as a woman or a lesbian that looks and acts like a woman but is sexually attracted to other females?
Better stick a label on them and keep them out, too, huh?
Have you, BTW, ever heard of anybody other than heterosexual males abducting, raping or sexually harassing girls?
As far as the transgender example you are referring to, in most places, if that person resemble a man, he would not be allowed to go in the woman's bathroom, as should be the case. If you were born a man, use the men's room. If you feel embarassed, why? That's what you were born as. Use the stalls call it a day, no one gets hurt.

As far as a lesbian, I like my girls chances against them, than a grown man, thank you.

To answer your last question yes and even boys too, but the media won't make those stories headlines.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
How hard is it to understand that what is being talked about is laws that are based ONLY on religious perception and having nothing to do with factual harm in the practice delineated? When the deniers have NOTHING to bring to the table but religious perceptoions and the prejudices that have been passed down because of them, then there is NO more business passing them than in passing an element of Sharia because it comes from Qur'an.
So there is a religion that discriminate against people's race, religion, gender, AND sexual orientation?

Please tell me what this religion is that, according to so many on here, deem it okay to discriminate?

Is this some religion where all the people are the same race, are all men or women and who have the same sexuality? Because that's the only way your argument of this being based on religious perception has any merit.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:06 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
So you're New Age/Spiritualist. Great thank you for clarifying.

When have I ever said that homosexuals are not discriminated against? All I asked for you to do is show me where it happens in this town that would justify this law being necessary as it is written?

And despite being asked, multiple times, you have provided no proof that discrimination is happening to the LGBT community in Fayetteville, that would justify this law. We aren't arguing about the country, we are talking about one small town in Arkansas. Again, the context you are using is wrong.
When discrimination is widespread, promoted by a religious segment that is populous in the South, laws are made to make sure it doesn't spring up in certain localities. The Duggars have made sure that it can.

And you are supporting them.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
When discrimination is widespread, promoted by a religious segment that is populous in the South, laws are made to make sure it doesn't spring up in certain localities. The Duggars have made sure that it can.

And you are supporting them.
You don't believe in answering questions do you?

Old 12-30-2014, 12:19 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
As far as the transgender example you are referring to, in most places, if that person resemble a man, he would not be allowed to go in the woman's bathroom, as should be the case. If you were born a man, use the men's room. If you feel embarassed, why? That's what you were born as. Use the stalls call it a day, no one gets hurt.

As far as a lesbian, I like my girls chances against them, than a grown man, thank you.

To answer your last question yes and even boys too, but the media won't make those stories headlines.

I'll be happy if you can present some , even if they weren't headline cases. 'Back page' will do, maybe even an article about numbers.
As far as men looking like men....come on, honey, I've seen many men and many women where you have to check out their chests to see if you can get a clue.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You're moving the goal posts. Nowhere in this entire thread has anybody suggested that same sex relationships (of any kind) were as widespread as hetero ones.
He also failed, again, to answer a question. I was going to ask Viz if he knew how to use the Dewey Decimal system in the library and tell him to go to the 900 section for world history. I'd suggest he find some gay studies books in class 300 but you and I both know the chances of a fundamentalist actually reading a book about the gay community are slim and none.

Come to think of it...... many are probably adverse to reading books on world history as well since Adam and Eve won't be in the opening chapter.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-30-2014 at 01:11 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 12:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
To correct a rather glaring error: Fayetteville, Arkansas is NOT a small town. It is the third largest city in Arkansas, it's the county seat of Washington County and it is home to the University of Arkansas. Been there, done that, own the Razorbacks Football sweatshirt.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-30-2014 at 01:06 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'll be happy if you can present some , even if they weren't headline cases. 'Back page' will do, maybe even an article about numbers.
As far as men looking like men....come on, honey, I've seen many men and many women where you have to check out their chests to see if you can get a clue.
Another woman claims abuse by teacher after YouTube video

Anything else you need?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality