Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 08:20 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
^
Yes but it's interesting to follow that thread in terms of what 'may' have happened earlier in the universe and its implication for how we think of extraterrestrial life today.

I'm not sure if we know the exact proportions of elements that 'evolved' say after the BB in the various epochs of the universe. But perhaps that might have started a course in non-carbon life in milleniums past in some areas of the universe?

And further , after say 13 billion years maybe it wouldn't lend itself to sci- if other 'civilizations' based on non-carbon chemistry have existed and perhaps even died. They could be gone or maybe they've left their footprint somewhere. All in the last simply points to ponder and get the neurons firing!..;-)...
Science actually has a pretty good handle on the availability of elements at different epochs. But in any case carbon would have been available in significant amounts fairly early by synthesis in large stars, amounts greater than silicon which has a larger atom and needs a bigger star to make it. That plus the drawbacks to silicon as a basis for life seems to make silicon based life, especially advanced life, very unlikely IMO.

But it's a big universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 09:02 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
^
Sure....and really maybe just maybe one day we are going to make a discovery in this great big universe we seem to inhabit 'all alone ' that will thrill and probably shake us to our core.
Hmm...wonder if they updated the Drake equation, the one which computes the probability of extraterrestrial life! Some variables indeed have changed.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Yes, changing the details of what we know and adding more information of what we don't yet know (like Black Holes may pour out power, never mind sucking it in - but Black Holes exist. Proven) is always going on.

And maybe we will discover extraterrestrial life. Which will really make no scientific difference at all to the case for god.

Unless it IS God. In which case... I can see the religious of the Book all going into god- denial because it isn't like the one they believed in.

Tavric old mate, I'd abandon this line of debate if I was you.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:37 PM

Re:"Tavric old mate, I'd abandon this line of debate if I was you"

??????.. To be honest I'm not computing where that come from ..;-)...I know I was talking about and interested in those extraterrestrials! Not sure what I said to drop 'debate'.

Anyway as an aside if I was smarter I'd be following in Mr. Sagan's footsteps. Thing is I just can't think 'equationally'! Those equations those smart guys work with are mathematically beautiful. It really disappoints me to think that I will never ever get to 'feel' how Mr. Hawking thinks as he manipulates variables in his math constructs. Too bad I can't plug in somewhere
and get the idea! Ok I'm stopping! ..;-)...

Old 01-14-2015, 04:22 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornincali View Post
The problem with the coincidential agreement with Bible and science on some instances...never mind the incredulous amount of stretching most of these interpretations require is that they lack any explanatory power. You can't fly a plane on it! I have seen people try to stay the US of A is in the Bible as the ram in one of the passages. Good lord...if you couldn't have just written it out.

God "stretching forth the heavens and laying the foundations of the earth" does not imply to me at least that they knew the earth was round. If I recall correctly is was actually Muslim mathematicians who hand the first written inklings. Certainly anyone who watched a boat disappear off the horizon and scratched their head may have figured it out as well.

The Greeks actually conducted experiments to measure the circumference of the Earth by measuring shadows in pits in Alexandra and some other place in Egypt and were fairly accurate. The flat earth is a fairly recent idea actually.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:29 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Re:"Tavric old mate, I'd abandon this line of debate if I was you"

??????.. To be honest I'm not computing where that come from ..;-)...I know I was talking about and interested in those extraterrestrials! Not sure what I said to drop 'debate'.

Anyway as an aside if I was smarter I'd be following in Mr. Sagan's footsteps. Thing is I just can't think 'equationally'! Those equations those smart guys work with are mathematically beautiful. It really disappoints me to think that I will never ever get to 'feel' how Mr. Hawking thinks as he manipulates variables in his math constructs. Too bad I can't plug in somewhere
and get the idea! Ok I'm stopping! ..;-)...
Now I'm getting over -touchy Ok, if it was just about exterrestial aliens, post on...

Old 01-14-2015, 06:21 PM

Re: ' Now I'm getting over-touchy '

Quite ok 'mate!'... The 'wars' can do it to us, eh????...;-)....

Anyway I have my 'scope on Centaurus A ...had some jiggling stuff com in' through the tannoy the other day..crikey!...but theonly thing signaling through now is the Fawlty Towers episode on the Germans!

Old 01-14-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Re: ' Now I'm getting over-touchy '

Quite ok 'mate!'... The 'wars' can do it to us, eh????...;-)....

Anyway I have my 'scope on Centaurus A ...had some jiggling stuff com in' through the tannoy the other day..crikey!...but theonly thing signaling through now is the Fawlty Towers episode on the Germans!
"Send more Chuck Berry"

Old 01-14-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
The Greeks actually conducted experiments to measure the circumference of the Earth by measuring shadows in pits in Alexandra and some other place in Egypt and were fairly accurate. The flat earth is a fairly recent idea actually.
Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the earth in the 4th century BC. Depending on which definition of 'stadia' he used, his calculation was either really very close or at least well inside the ballpark. He also made a number of other contributions to knowledge. In the golden era of Islam, the Muslims preserved, translated and also added to the knowledge of the Greeks.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:42 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
It's very old. ANE Cosmologies had a flat, albeit circular earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality