Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 02:55 PM

19,226 posts, read 16,739,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Christian religion is peaceful?

What did Jesus say?

Attachment 142916

The photo caption is a bit deceiving, cupper3. That passage doesn't refer to violence, although it certainly would appear to. But that's why many people are confused as to what the Bible says and the meaning, therein. That passage, for instance. It refers to following Christ and what that means.

Quote:
Jesus said He had come at this time not to bring peace to the earth, but a sword, a weapon which divides and severs. As a result of His visit to the earth, some children would be set against parents and a man’s enemies might be those within his own household. This is because many who choose to follow Christ are hated by their family members. This may be part of the cost of discipleship, for love of family should not be greater than love for the Lord. A true disciple must take up his cross and follow Jesus

Read more: What did Jesus mean by coming to bring a sword in Matthew 10:34-36?
I used the above quote because it was written better than I could do. Often, my intent to clarify gets all jumbled up so excuse me, please, for using someone else's words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 03:23 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,624,811 times
Something tells me (and I lament it) that if some non-believers in their perception of extremists see them actually as being truly representative of their avowed link to a religion is obviously having a problem with judicious judgment in their analysis. Surprising since there's the mantra of including rationality in their assessments. Unfortunately, it is very evident great bias rather than reason governs views on on these forms of purely vindictive violence done simply by madmen.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:43 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,371,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
Is this a religious conflict or are they fighting over land? Like are they killing each other simply of their religious beliefs, or is there more to it? I wasn't able to tell from that article and I don't know too much about this. It's very sad though.

It seems like both sides have been attacked:

Christians have also been victims of violence, targeted by Muslims in this complex communal conflict that U.N. and humanitarian officials fear could implode into genocide. Several hundred thousand Christians remain in crowded, squalid camps, unable or too afraid to return home.

But attacks on Muslims in particular are intensifying, aid workers said.

Djotodia’s departure weakened the former Muslim rebels, known as Seleka, who carried out deadly attacks on Christians after they grabbed power in March, prompting the birth of Christian militias called the anti-balaka, or “anti-machete” in the local Sango language. The armed vigilantes have used the power vacuum to step up assaults on Muslims.
They're fighting over land. It's reclaiming land by Christians and holding the land by Muslims, I'll wager.

And yes, the news article is biased. Those poor suffering Muslims fleeing from Christians. How dare the Christians fight back! Why, they're just as bad/worse than the Muslims. Are they? Or are they fighting back against Muslims killing their men and assaulting their women?

Also, cupper3, that's pretty much total research fail.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 01-14-2015 at 06:08 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 06:11 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,762,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
They're fighting over land. It's reclaiming land by Christians and holding the land by Muslims, I'll wager.

And yes, the news article is biased. Those poor suffering Muslims fleeing from Christians. How dare the Christians fight back! Why, they're just as bad/worse than the Muslims. Are they? Or are they fighting back against Muslims killing their men and assaulting their women?
Yes, it does seem to suggest this has to do with land rather than religion. I don't know anything about this conflict so this is my guess.

Just because a person or people involved in a war/conflict happen to be followers of a certain religion it does not mean that they are fighting for religious reasons. Sure, sometimes it is religion that is the cause, but not always.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:42 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,075,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I do not believe He meant KILLING or physically beating / striking your family?
You think he was playing tag with the currency exchangers, do you think he asked for a whip so that he could mend the tables he broke?

You think he told his disciples to buy swords while hiding out as a fugitive because he wanted them to roast marshmallows with them?

You think that when he said the servants should bring the enemies before the King so that the servants may slay them in His presence, he was lying or not talking about himself through parable?

The overarching story, word choice, and chosen verses are clearly biased to justify almost anything.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 01-15-2015 at 02:54 AM..

Old 01-15-2015, 02:48 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,075,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post

Also, cupper3, that's pretty much total research fail.
I don't think he was looking for a way to defend atrocities. But to each their own I suppose, vengeance will be thy bride. cupper3 doesn't like the Christians nor the Muslims; a prove needs its evidence, not contradicting conjecture. "They are fighting over land" You think the Crusaders were fighting over spiritual energies? Do you think the Inquisitors were fighting because the Bible just opened itself and began speaking? When has there ever been a religious conflict that is not about land, xenophobia, conquest, security, power-seeking, etc? The violent have always sought to excuse themselves.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:40 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,937,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
The photo caption is a bit deceiving, cupper3. That passage doesn't refer to violence, although it certainly would appear to. But that's why many people are confused as to what the Bible says and the meaning, therein. That passage, for instance. It refers to following Christ and what that means.

I used the above quote because it was written better than I could do. Often, my intent to clarify gets all jumbled up so excuse me, please, for using someone else's words.
In other words, the words in the Bible need to be interpreted.

So now the question becomes, who does the interpretation, and which interpretation is the correct one? I guess that is why we have so many different sects in the Christian faith. No one can agree on exactly what was meant.

And if that is the case, why should we take any of it as a belief system?

Old 01-15-2015, 07:45 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,937,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I don't think he was looking for a way to defend atrocities. But to each their own I suppose, vengeance will be thy bride. cupper3 doesn't like the Christians nor the Muslims; a prove needs its evidence, not contradicting conjecture. "They are fighting over land" You think the Crusaders were fighting over spiritual energies? Do you think the Inquisitors were fighting because the Bible just opened itself and began speaking? When has there ever been a religious conflict that is not about land, xenophobia, conquest, security, power-seeking, etc? The violent have always sought to excuse themselves.
Actually, I have some very good friends who are Christians. I just can't understand how someone still believe in myths that were promulgated 3000 years ago, and where there is no evidence outside of the written myth themselves, that there is any semblance of reality to them.

And the same of course applies to both muslims and Mormons. in both of those cases, their religion started by one person talking to an angel, which no one else saw, and they dictated their thoughts to someone else who actually did the writing down. Of course in both cases there is no witnesses to that supposed visit to that angel. As there were no witnesses to the angels that we talked about in the Bible.

Why do we believe this stuff?

Old 01-15-2015, 01:27 PM

19,226 posts, read 16,739,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
In other words, the words in the Bible need to be interpreted.

So now the question becomes, who does the interpretation, and which interpretation is the correct one? I guess that is why we have so many different sects in the Christian faith. No one can agree on exactly what was meant.

And if that is the case, why should we take any of it as a belief system?
Who interprets the Bible? I'm pretty sure this is taught in bible colleges and seminaries.

As to which one is correct. I don't know. And why should I? If others are confused about which is right, why should I have all the answers? Whether it's art, music, poetry, the Bible or some other subject. We (as a whole) will never fully agree on anything in life.

As for the piece of scripture you posted and I commented on, if you choose to believe that it literally means Jesus will come with a sword of violence, that's your choice. My interpretation is the opposite because I don't believe Jesus wanted violence and I've learned not to take the words in the Bible as literally as some still do. And no, I don't bend the words in the Bible to fit my beliefs. I look for the true meaning of the Word by posing questions to experts who have been trained in Bible study. We won't agree because in our heart of hearts, many people don't believe in God and I do. So naturally we will see things differently. It's okay, though. I don't expect others to think the way I do. Just offering another point of view about such a controversial subject.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:33 PM

1,980 posts, read 1,949,118 times

the country was attacked by Muslim rebels who overthrow the previous government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality