Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:51 PM

554 posts, read 2,501,719 times

Advertisements

It's a thought that just came to me. When you learn about evolution and things, it sort of goes against some peoples religions. So, should evolution and other parts of science be taught in school? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 11:24 PM

184 posts, read 902,146 times
I think you are right. But I wouldn't stop there, I think there are some people who have religious devotion to sports/sport teams...

Evolution is a theory, a concept, a paradigm. Not dissimilar to many religions, it's a matter of belief and personal choice. I don't want prayers in schools, but nor do I want evolution being taught as fact. Teach/Inform kids that those things exist and let them make up their own minds about it for themselves.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:43 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,477,547 times
I think science and religion are fundamentally different, and seek to answer different questions.

I do think people can get confused, and look for scientific answers in religion, or look for religious answers in science. I can see where someone with a very orthodox interpretation of their religion could see science as a threat, but I think those people either don't know enough about science, or don't know enough about their religion.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:43 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
It's a thought that just came to me. When you learn about evolution and things, it sort of goes against some peoples religions. So, should evolution and other parts of science be taught in school? What do you think?
Absolutly not! It's a lie. Would you want your Children learning a lie? I don't think so. Get rid of it teach creation only.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:03 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Absolutly not! It's a lie. Would you want your Children learning a lie? I don't think so. Get rid of it teach creation only.
LOL!! you are too funny.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:21 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I thought this was settled with the Scopes trial 100 years ago.

I think most religions nowadays (except some extreemists) accept the basic principles of science and evolution. I see no conflict. A parent always has the option of self-schooling or private schools.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:20 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,405 times
Attachment 1781

My son is a freshman in High school. I thought I would ask him about evolution being taught at school. He said, yes they talked about it last year in school . The teacher talked about animals and tried to stay away from talking about humans.
The teacher was real careful on what questions he would and would not answer from the kids.
My son has gone to church for years and is very involved in his youth group.

Last edited by DBNN; 07-27-2007 at 01:44 PM..

Old 03-15-2007, 09:29 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
LOL!! you are too funny.
No kidding, I dont believe in the "creation" theory at all. Not that I believe totally in evolution, although it is easier to believe rather than that man came from dirt and woman from his ribs. I dont want " creation" taught in school, especially since it isnt a fact. I also dont want evolution of humans taught for the same reasons. Science is very important and other aspects should be taught.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:33 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
Attachment 1781

My son is a freshman in High school. I thought I would ask him about evolution being taught at school. He said, yes they talked about it last year in school . The teacher talked about animals and tried to stay away from talking about humans.
The teacher was real careful on what questions he would and would not answer from the kids.
My son has gone to church for years and is very involved in his youth group.
I agree with this the teachers hands are so tied to what they can say for fear of losing their jobs. They can talk all day about evolution but, mention God and you have an angry parent on the phone.
Kind of makes you wonder if people get more angry that it's about God or just because they CAN get angry and feel they are holding ground!!
I have an 8th grader and they were doing evolution and he asked his teacher why they could talk about evolution and not Creation and was told that it was a religious opinion!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 10:03 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
I think its quite simple really. Evolution, based on science, should be taught in Science class. Creationism, based on religion and mysticism, should be taught in Religion class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality