Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 02:38 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,943,069 times

Advertisements

Why is it such a hot subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 02:46 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,077,615 times
Here we go..

Some feel like it should be taught in schools (I'm in that group)
Some feel like it shouldn't be taught in schools
Some feel like it shouldn't be taught as fact
Some feel like creation should be taught in schools as an alternative to evolution
Some feel like creation shouldn't be taught in schools but neither should evolution

any others?

Old 01-09-2008, 02:49 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,468,031 times
Evolution is like abortion in being a political issue that can be used to mobilize the troops.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 01-09-2008 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 02:49 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,943,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Here we go..

Some feel like it should be taught in schools (I'm in that group)
Some feel like it shouldn't be taught in schools
Some feel like it shouldn't be taught as fact
Some feel like creation should be taught in schools as an alternative to evolution
Some feel like creation shouldn't be taught in schools but neither should evolution

any others?
Thanks. Let me clarify. I know the positions on it, I'm just curious why it's so important to the creation group that it be taught in public schools. I can understand the science group wanting it taught, cuz it's science. I'm not looking to a debate over evolution, I just want to know what one hopes to gain by one's particular postion on the subject that makes it so important.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:21 PM

5,510 posts, read 7,353,736 times
Maybe "creationism" is the problem.
I think students ought to be exposed to as many viewpoints and store of knowledge as possible.
But "creationism" is a hot button. There can be geology classes, religion classes ( in church ), astronomy classes.
As a non-literalist Christian, there are many creationist theories that I think are counter-intuitive and downright goofy.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:22 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,468,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
As a non-literalist Christian, there are many creationist theories that I think are counter-intuitive and downright goofy.

You mean like: With whom did Adam and Eve's sons mate? Ewwwwww!

Old 01-09-2008, 04:17 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,277,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
You mean like: With whom did Adam and Eve's sons mate? Ewwwwww!
Well, ok, with whom did the very first humans that evolved mate? At least evolution gives a bigger playing field. You get to choose between a sister or an ape.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:45 PM

206 posts, read 578,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Well, ok, with whom did the very first humans that evolved mate? At least evolution gives a bigger playing field. You get to choose between a sister or an ape.
Just so you know, the "ducks hatching out of dinosaur eggs" view of evolution is only found in creationist literature.

Evolution is a gradual process. It would be just as tough to tell what the "first human" was as it is to tell what the "first golden retriever was" as opposed to the earlier dog stock from which they come.

There is of course the question of punctuated equilibrium if you want to get into that, but in any case, we are never talking about something like an ancient equivalent to a Chimpanzee just giving birth to a completely different creature. That is just a strawman argument which gets trotted out on occasion.

About the biggest sort of change you would generally see I think would be something along the lines of Hypertrichosis.

Human variability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Macroevolution as it is often called is merely the accumulation of minor changes over long periods of time.

======

Anyhow, the main reason it is controversial is simply because it contradicts a literal interpretation of many religious creation stories.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:46 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,470,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Come on, cg81, you know that's a strawman argument that's been refuted about as many times as it's been brought up. Again, an apelike creature did not just spit out a human one day. You're trying to climb Mount Improbable again but unfortunately you're going to need some better rope.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:53 AM

91 posts, read 210,241 times
As a Christian who believes in the Creation I don't mind evolution being taught in schools as long as it is taught as the theory of evolution because it has not been proven, and not stated as an infallible fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality