Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 01:15 AM

511 posts, read 508,939 times

Advertisements

Human sacrifice is impossible. humans are IMPERFECT and only a perfect god could shed his blood for our sins.

Just because he was partially human doesn't make it a human sacrifice.

The only human which was perfect aside from jesus was ADAM.

Do you understand the sin nature?

Our Creator MORPHED himself into a man to save us, get it?

You are ignoring that he was FULLY GOD while being in the flesh. You are not fully god, you are merely a human.

SO if this happened with you or me, we could call it a human sacrifice. That would be accurate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 01:49 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
No interpretation is necessary. You specifically said God can do anything he wants.

By the way, this is the third time you have come to the defense of someone who (according to the bible) has killed millions of people and who threatens you with eternal torture after you die. And you don't even have any evidence that your captor is real in the first place! At least someone suffering from traditional Stockholm Syndrome (in a real-life hostage situation) has very good evidence that their captor is real.
Just remember, death is like a thief in the night, have a Happy Valentines Day, good night,

Old 02-14-2015, 02:52 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
Human sacrifice is impossible. humans are IMPERFECT and only a perfect god could shed his blood for our sins.

Just because he was partially human doesn't make it a human sacrifice.

The only human which was perfect aside from jesus was ADAM.

Do you understand the sin nature?

Our Creator MORPHED himself into a man to save us, get it?

You are ignoring that he was FULLY GOD while being in the flesh. You are not fully god, you are merely a human.

SO if this happened with you or me, we could call it a human sacrifice. That would be accurate

If this is so, and your god still exists, then where is the sacrifice?
It would appear to be nothing more than theatrics.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:44 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Stockholm Syndrome is, according to Wikipedia, "a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending and identifying with their captors. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors as an act of kindness...[It] can be seen as a form of traumatic bonding...which describes 'strong emotional ties that develop between two persons where one person intermittently harasses, beats, threatens, abuses, or intimidates the other.' " (emphasis mine)

In the Abrahamic religions (Orthodox Judaism, Islam, and conservative Christianity) God is openly portrayed as an angry, all-powerful individual who threatens people with supernatural punishment (both now and after death). The bible contains graphic language about said punishment, which is often described as never-ending. The bible also has many examples of God killing large numbers of people. The flood of Noah is one of many such stories, and is a favorite story for telling children.

And yet many believers say "God is Love." Others will actually defend the horrible actions of God as being moral. Many Christians believe that they deserve God's wrath and punishment, unless they accept a human sacrifice to satisfy God's wrath. Some go even further and identify with God's wrath and anger toward the human race. They go out and tell other people that THEY TOO deserve to be punished eternally.

As a non-religious person, I find this fascinating and disturbing. It's almost like believers are hostages and refuse to listen to the emergency responders and police who are trying to rescue them. They are terrified that if they "betray" God by "rejecting him" or "not believing in him", then he will "get" them somehow.
You are grasping at straws, Freaky, baby. Any knowledgeable psychologist will tell you that the Stockholm Syndrome cannot be equated to religious indoctrination by fanatics. There is, of course, such a thing as religious indoctrination, but it is absolutely not the same thing as the Stockholm Syndrome. You stretched things a little too far with this comparison.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:12 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
I remember a really distressing documentry that you should watch OP. Called Deborah 13. It was about a girl homeschooled by very religious parents. Parents who are fans of convicted criminal Kent hovind for example.

Stockholm syndrome was exactly what I witnessed in this when the 13 year old girl.... this beautiful intelligent girl.... broke down crying at her distress that she was a wicked sinful human being. She had been taught she was evil and wicked and sinful..... and she was so grateful to Jesus and her god for loving her despite her failings.

That is Stockholm syndrome 101 stuff. To psychologically hold someone to a standard of perfection that is contrived to be unattainable, and then present a loving Captur that loves you despite those failings. And you have to feel GRATEFUL of all things that this dictator loves you despite your failings. That loves you despite your failure to attain the unattainable. As a man better than me put it "You are born sick and commanded to be well".

It is horrific and manipulative and evil in my opinion. If you have not watched this documentry OP I strongly recommend it. And we will see if you literally cry like I did watching a beautiful and wonderful girl held hostage by an idea, an idea that has taught her to hate herself and be grateful for being a hostage. I cry now even writing this.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:56 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Nozz,

Thank you for your post. I don't have to watch the documentary, since I was raised in the exact same manner and know the psychology all too well.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You are grasping at straws, Freaky, baby. Any knowledgeable psychologist will tell you that the Stockholm Syndrome cannot be equated to religious indoctrination by fanatics. There is, of course, such a thing as religious indoctrination, but it is absolutely not the same thing as the Stockholm Syndrome. You stretched things a little too far with this comparison.
Thanks for the "freaky baby" comment.

Actually, Stockholm Syndrome is quite common among those who have been indoctrinated by cults and religions. Look it up for yourself.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:

Actually, Stockholm Syndrome is quite common among those who have been indoctrinated by cults and religions. Look it up for yourself.
Cults and religions, however, are not synonymous.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Cults and religions, however, are not synonymous.
A cult is just a religion that hasn't gone mainstream. 150 years ago, Mormonism was a cult and now it is a mainstream religion. 2000 years ago, Christianity was a cult and now it is a mainstream religion.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:21 PM

1,553 posts, read 925,236 times
I still consider mormonism a cult...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality