Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 07:31 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,055,738 times

Advertisements

you have neither read the bible nor my post yet you pass judgement on both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 09:50 AM

And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the middle of the garden.

And the woman said unto the serpent, `Of the fruit of the trees of the garden we do eat,
But of the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, Elohim has said,
"Ye shall eat of it not; ye shall die"

And the serpent said unto the woman,
"Ye shall eat of it; not ye shall die"
For God does know that in the day you eat thereof your eyes shall be opened,
and you shall (develop technology making you) be like Elohim.

Knowing good and evil, the woman saw that the tree was good for food,
and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise,
she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:03 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,792,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
At-a-glance/The Bible - Religion-wiki

And the woman said unto the serpent, `Of the fruit of the trees of the garden we do eat,
But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, Elohim has said,
"Ye shall eat of it not; ye shall die"
And the serpent said unto the woman,
"Ye shall eat of it; not ye shall die"
For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as Elohim

Knowing good and evil, the woman saw that the tree was good for food,
and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise,
she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat.
I am not sure what that wiki you have linked is, but it appears to be a decidedly non-standard rendering of that passage

From everybody's favorite queen, King James...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis 3:1-13
3 Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?”
2 The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’”
4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves.
8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”
10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”
11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”
12 The man said, “The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”
13 Then the Lord God said to the woman, “What is this you have done?”
The woman said, “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.”

So it appears that your version has moved a phrase from one sentence to the next, in order to change the meaning. Your wiki quote implies that Eve knew good from evil before eating the fruit, a more standard translation places that as part of the temptation of the serpent. Was that what you were trying to show?

-NoCapo

Old 02-18-2015, 10:15 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,622,404 times
Woman finds fruit and a snake. The snake does not want to be cooked and eaten. The snake does not wish anyone to know it tastes like chicken. So, the snake leads the unsuspecting woman to the fruit.

"No, the rumor I taste like chicken is not true. I taste terrible."

The woman believed the snake and ate a piece of fruit instead.

When God confronted the man about his sin, he turned and said, "She made me do it."

Old 02-18-2015, 10:29 AM

Knowing good and evil = all or nothing thinking

all or nothing thinking leads to craving things simply because they are forbidden.

craving things simply because they are forbidden leads to very bad decisions.

bad decisions get people killed.

after Adam was resurrected God warned him not to partake of the knowledge of good and evil again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitting_(psychology)

Last edited by granpa; 02-18-2015 at 10:44 AM..

Old 02-18-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Knowing good and evil = all or nothing thinking

all or nothing thinking leads to very bad decisions.

bad decisions get people killed.

after Adam was resurrected God warned him not to partake of the knowledge of good and evil again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitting_(psychology)
I don't disagree with your point, but in the story you reference, the knowledge of good and evil came after the bad decision, not before...

-NoCapo

Old 02-18-2015, 10:44 AM

What do you base that on?

Old 02-18-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
What do you base that on?
Genesis 3:1-13, as I posted. I used the KJV, but we could look at some other translation if you like...

-NoCapo

Sorry, I just noticed something... You are linking to your own wiki page??? What is the point?

Old 02-18-2015, 11:11 AM

what would you have me do? Post the entire page here? Its 15 kilobytes

Old 02-18-2015, 11:18 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,736,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
So it appears that your version has moved a phrase from one sentence to the next, in order to change the meaning. Your wiki quote implies that Eve knew good from evil before eating the fruit, a more standard translation places that as part of the temptation of the serpent. Was that what you were trying to show?
I don't think I understand the point either, but I will say this: The original Hebrew (and Aramaic) manuscripts composing the Bible were written without vowels and without punctuation. So, at first glance, it would seem to be a matter of convention, whether to put "knowing good from evil" at the end of verse 5, or the beginning of verse 6 - although, of course, it does change the meaning of the phrase. I'm not a Bible scholar, but I assume this has been a debate amongst scholars.

In some ways, your version makes more sense because I've always wondered why, if Eve didn't know good from evil, she would be punished for disobeying God. If she didn't know good from evil, how could she know that disobeying god is a bad thing? On the other hand, if Eve already knew good from evil, then I'm not sure what's the point of the whole "tree of knowledge" thing is about.

My guess: You are saying that it's not the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil" but just "the tree of knowledge" - more specifically, "tool-making" - the type of knowledge leading to technology. Do I win the prize?

And, I just gotta say: Taken as history, this whole story seems absurd to me, but taken as allegory, I can sometimes find it insightful and amusing.

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 02-18-2015 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality