Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:25 PM

615 posts, read 726,043 times

Advertisements

Speaking as a member of the Milenial generation, one of the major themes I see among my friends and myself is how family relationships get strained by differences in religious beliefs. Other than the obvious examples of young adults resenting and rebelling against their religious upbringings, I see so many examples of disbelieving or disinterested young adults who decide it's easiest to just "go with the flow" and pretend to be a Christian while having minimal or no participation in the religion. Better to not rock the boat, risk alienation. In my own case, my parents are very generous and I don't want to be cut off from their generosity. If I said I was an Atheist, they would stop offering to pay for the things they offer to pay for. It's a phony relationship. I only go to church with them because it seems to make them happy when I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 07:31 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Do you think it's ever been any different. Really?

The world did not begin in 1984 when the millennial generation started being born.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Welcome to many peoples' reality.

Sometimes life's choices are between sucking lemons, or sucking limes.

You just have to...suck it up. And hope for something sweeter down the road.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Speaking as a member of the Milenial generation, one of the major themes I see among my friends and myself is how family relationships get strained by differences in religious beliefs. Other than the obvious examples of young adults resenting and rebelling against their religious upbringings, I see so many examples of disbelieving or disinterested young adults who decide it's easiest to just "go with the flow" and pretend to be a Christian while having minimal or no participation in the religion. Better to not rock the boat, risk alienation. In my own case, my parents are very generous and I don't want to be cut off from their generosity. If I said I was an Atheist, they would stop offering to pay for the things they offer to pay for. It's a phony relationship. I only go to church with them because it seems to make them happy when I do.
It is a relationship you choose to manipulate to receive goods and services from your parents. You do not want them to stop buying you things. What would you do if they were poor?

Old 02-24-2015, 08:21 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Like others have said, I'm not sure if this kind of thing is any more prevalent now than it ever was. It's impossible to tell without scientific polling.

I personally have a strained relationship with my parents since they are hard core Christian fundamentalists. My father is actually a pastor in a fundamentalist church.

I have two brothers. As far as I know, they are both atheists or agnostics like me. They seem more willing to "go with the flow." I'm more confrontational and open about my lack of religion. My parents haven't disowned me yet but I honestly can't stand visiting them. Especially my father, who fits the "fundamentalist bully" stereotype somewhat.

I've been out on my own for quite awhile now, which helps.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
In my own case, my parents are very generous and I don't want to be cut off from their generosity.
Then you're going to be stuck playing the game. It's not religion creating the phony relationship. It's your decision that you want what their money can give you that's creating the phony relationship.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:01 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Then you're going to be stuck playing the game. It's not religion creating the phony relationship. It's your decision that you want what their money can give you that's creating the phony relationship.
Precisely.

OP, religion isn't creating a phony relationship; it's just the reason you've decided to create a phony relationship. But it could just as easily have been about career choices, which school you wanted to attend, whatever.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:28 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
If I said I was an Atheist, they would stop offering to pay for the things they offer to pay for. It's a phony relationship. I only go to church with them because it seems to make them happy when I do.
If your standards for yourself are this low do you also have no compunction against lying to others for monetary gain?
I'd guess it should be even easier to do so with people you aren't expected to care for.
Unusual to have people openly admit to being a con artist.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:35 AM

615 posts, read 726,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If your standards for yourself are this low do you also have no compunction against lying to others for monetary gain?
I'd guess it should be even easier to do so with people you aren't expected to care for.
Unusual to have people openly admit to being a con artist.
I don't lie about anything. Being a quiet unbeliever is not the same as falsely professing to be a believer.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:43 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
I don't lie about anything. Being a quiet unbeliever is not the same as falsely professing to be a believer.
Going to church with them is deceiving.
Or do you just sit there and not even pretend to participate in anything?
Are we also to assume the subject never comes up at other times?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality