Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2015, 08:15 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Certainly not surprising since academic environments tend to be atheist in nature. But this is not good news in the least. You take away faith and you see increases in violence and suicide. The data here in the 15-24 range shows a consistent increase in suicide rate over the last few years.

https://www.afsp.org/understanding-s...ts-and-figures

Not surprising when people have no hope in this life.
Going WAYYYY back, an increase in suicide and blah blah blah...

How do you dispute this study?

Anticipating Divine Protection? Reminders of God Can Increase Nonmoral Risk Taking

More folks might die because they believe "God" is there to save them, interesting isn't it?

Old 03-02-2015, 09:15 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Going WAYYYY back, an increase in suicide and blah blah blah...

How do you dispute this study?

Anticipating Divine Protection? Reminders of God Can Increase Nonmoral Risk Taking

More folks might die because they believe "God" is there to save them, interesting isn't it?
Sounds like a load of garbage to me. Funny how atheists will accept any study that goes against Christianity without question.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:20 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Because you can't? Because any of your 100 miracles/proofs, haven't ever been repeated, or can easily be dismissed by modern science?

Here's a simple one: Why do some Christians preach abstinence as the ultimate form of birth control, yet, believe in a virgin birth?
Because atheists in general simply can not accept any evidence that supports Christianity. None.

Let's see, science can only measure the physical realm. God and the supernatural exist in the spiritual realm. Ever think maybe that's why it is so hard to prove via science? You do realize that there are plenty of unsolved mysteries that your faith in science can not come close to explaining, right?

Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Because atheists in general simply can not accept any evidence that supports Christianity. None.

Let's see, science can only measure the physical realm. God and the supernatural exist in the spiritual realm. Ever think maybe that's why it is so hard to prove via science? You do realize that there are plenty of unsolved mysteries that your faith in science can not come close to explaining, right?
Absolutely there are many unanswered questions about the universe. And it may well be that science can't answer all of them.

But it keeps trying and builds upon previous blocks of knowledge until there are fewer and fewer gaps in our knowledge of How Things Work.

Which, to my way of thinking, doesn't preclude a God-like answer at the end of the question corridor.

Science helps us understand how we and the world work. Those who would prefer to cling to a book of ancient myths rather than accept scientific realities like an old Earth and evolution only reveal how shaky the foundation their belief is built upon.

No wonder they fear the tremors of truth.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:

Unsolved mysteries? This isn't isn't the lifetime network, I don't need Robert Stack in a trenchcoat, even those unsolved mysteries are anything but mysteries, they are just crimes that don't have all the pieces put together.

99.999% of your biblical fantasies can be explained by science, you do realize that, right. The fraction left that can't be explained is because it's all fairy tale. You get that, right? Since when in the era of modern science have ANY of your biblical miracles been repeated?

Where are those 100's of truths you promised? Still working on those? Are they just truth to you, or are you ready to present them as truths to the world?

Old 03-03-2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a load of garbage to me. Funny how atheists will accept any study that goes against Christianity without question.
Of course it would, it goes against what you believe.

It's not anything to do with how/what, atheists "believe", this was a study done, and you don't like what it says. Again, you lmp me in with a camp that I am not it, because you didn't read my earlier replies to you, or, you prefer to have anyone who thinks different than you labeled as you fear, because you can't think anything differently.

I am so glad I have the ability to question, wonder and ask why. I'm still pretty glad that I don't excuse "why" with "because god said so". I feel a great sense of wonderment, I still have humor, I still feel compassion, sympathy, empathy, I love all that the world provides me in the way of senses. . .I don't need a book to tell me to appreciate these things. I appreciate everything that the world has provided, I also see that the most divided/conflict torn things on this earth are related to religion. Where is God there? Why would "God" allow such atrocities to be carried out in his name? Why would a god create something so self destructive?

Old 03-03-2015, 01:30 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
As if you wouldn't accept a study that goes against atheism without question. And why not? You already accept an entire religion without question.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:33 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
My point stands. Why should I think man's limited brain could come up with a more moral solution than God?
Well we have evidence and reasons to think that men and their brains exist. We have no reasons or evidence at all, much less so from you personally, to think there is a god. Therefore from the outset reality based moral systems are likely to be better solutions to the issue.

Quote:
Oh I could list over 100 proofs. But you can't convince a blind man who wants to stay blind.
Yet another one of your many many "I have the evidence but....." rhetorics. You always talk about how much evidence there is yet somehow always manage to contrive not to offer a shred of it. All the while pretending that your failing is actually someone elses failing.

If you have these proofs, present them.

Quote:
Atheists don't truly want evidence.
More of your anti atheist narrative. It simply suits you to pretend to believe the above, as it feeds into your not actually giving any evidence. More of the "I have the evidence but...." canard you operate under but not a single person is buying or falling for.

Quote:
It would be nice if people actually gave me time to respond.
That is bull. You have had months to reply to many of my posts for example. You simply ignore them all. No one is forcing you to respond quickly. But what you do instead is throw out a shot gun pellet spray of nonsense and then reply to none of the replies to it. You have more than enough time to reply to posts, you just need to stop using that time as you do, mostly by perpetuating your false anti atheist narrative, and peppering every single homosexuality thread you can find with empty rhetoric to the point where it seems you are more attracted to homosexuality threads than homosexuals are to each other.

Quote:
Because none has been offered. I can not accept what has not been offered.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:34 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
The fact is you NEED God to be a monster because somehow that props up your delusion that man was never a created being.
LOL! As if God's monstrous actions aren't written right there in the Bible.

Quote:
God has given me life and the option to experience eternal life. He gave me laughter. He gave me the ability to sleep, recharge and tune out the world. He gave everyone special talents. He gave us the ability to enjoy music and taste buds to enjoy foods. See I don't dwell on the negative. Sure the trade off is a few decades of not so great physical life, but I can handle that. Life is short.
God gave ... blabbity blab.... God granted us ... yuckity yuck. The only thing "God" granted you was a massive delusion in the form of:

Quote:
I just believe you are blind agents of Satan.
What a stupid thing to say. Seriously. Get some help or something.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:37 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
By education they all have the faith the nothing would happen after death.
That is false from you. No faith is required.

Currently we do not understand everything there is to know about human consciousness. However 100% of what we do understand suggests a complete dependence of human consciousness on the brain. 0% of what we do understand suggests any possibility of a disconnect between them.

So "There is no after life" is not a faith based claim, it is an evaluation claim based on what 100% of the evidence currently tells us.

So you can throw the word "faith" all around the place because you like it, but you will only succeed in being wrong. Which at least makes you consistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality