Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 03:00 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,630 times

Advertisements

The following links explain that the word “virgin” as used in the Bible does not mean “a woman who has never had sex”. It simply means a young woman.

Does the Hebrew Word Alma Really Mean "Virgin"? -- Rabbi Tovia Singer Answers Your Questions

Why Jews Can't Believe in Jesus - Abuse and Misquotes of the Hebrew Bible - Virgin or Not?

HEBREW - VIRGIN

Is it possible that such a large tenet of Christianity is based on a mistranslation? Is it that far-fetched to assume that Mary and Joseph (who I think were married) simply had sex and she became pregnant with a child who would go on to become a messiah?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 05:28 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Is it possible that such a large tenet of Christianity is based on a mistranslation? Is it that far-fetched to assume that Mary and Joseph (who I think were married) simply had sex and she became pregnant with a child who would go on to become a messiah?

Totally agree with this as Mary and Jesus have both said so in channeled messages.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:30 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,930,313 times
Well, I was going to write something completely snarky but I don't think anyone can top Reverend1111's epic win.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:55 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,250,201 times
And Maryam (Mary), the daughter of 'Imran who guarded her chastity. And We breathed into (the sleeve of her shirt or her garment) through Our Ruh [i.e. Jibril (Gabriel) ], and she testified to the truth of the Words of her Lord [i.e. believed in the Words of Allah: "Be!" - and he was; that is 'Îsa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary) as a Messenger of Allah], and (also believed in) His Scriptures, and she was of the Qanitun (i.e. obedient to Allah) . 66:12

Old 08-13-2009, 07:06 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,361 times
Quote:
The following links explain that the word “virgin” as used in the Bible does not mean “a woman who has never had sex”. It simply means a young woman.

Does the Hebrew Word Alma Really Mean "Virgin"? -- Rabbi Tovia Singer Answers Your Questions

Why Jews Can't Believe in Jesus - Abuse and Misquotes of the Hebrew Bible - Virgin or Not?

HEBREW - VIRGIN

Well according to the bible they were not married at the time of her conception.....which of course doesnt prove she was a virgin.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,330,861 times
Quote:

HEBREW - VIRGIN

Well, now, after having the two identical experiences that I had as a young child, I would have to say, God can do what ever He wants. How ever He wants. There is no nothing that God can't achieve. Nothing.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:08 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,902 times
Quote:
[

I is possible, nay, likely, that much of what modern churches teach is based on mistranslations. What is more is that these are mistranslations of 2nd an 3rd hand hearsay and fables.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:08 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:

HEBREW - VIRGIN

Neither the word Alma or the word Bethula exclusively means virgin or a young married woman.

Critics like to say that Bethula exclusively means 'virgin', but that's not true. In Joel 1:8 'Wail like a virgin girded with sackcloth for the bridegroom of her youth', the word 'Bethula' is incorrectly translated 'virgin'. Bethula here refers to a young married or sexually active woman.

'Alma' in the Old Testament is mostly used to refer to a virgin.
Gen 24:43 is the account of Abraham's servant looking for a wife for Isaac. Rebekah was the woman that God intended for Isaac. Rebekah was a virgin.

In Exodus 2:8 the word almah is used for Miriam, who is Mose's sister. She is a young virgin.

Psalms 68:25 mentions young girls playing timbrels. Alma is used.

Solomon 6:8 uses the word alma to contrast virgins (maidens), with queens and concubines.

For a better understanding go to these websites:

Apologetics Press - Virgin Birth—Or Prophetic Slip?

Virgin Birth Of Jesus Christ

To look at the virgin birth of Jesus Christ from another perspective, research The Coniah Curse of Jeremiah 22:24-30. Google 'The Coniah Curse'. Here's a link: The Curse of Coniah (http://www.glimpsesofgrace.org/html/Coniah.html - broken link)

Futhermore, the virgin birth was prophecied in Genesis 3:15 'And I will put enmity Between your seed and her seed: He shall bruise you on the head, and you shall bruise him on the heel.' 'Her seed' refers to the virgin birth. A reference to Mary's seed. Not Josephs seed. Additionally, the reference to bruising is referring to Christ the Messiah crushing Satans head in the sense of ultimately sealing Satans fate, and that Satan would bruise the Messiah's heel, which is a reference to his death on the cross.

Yes, the word 'Almah' is the word the writers intended to use, and correctly used to refer to the virgin birth of Jesus Christ.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:42 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Well according to the bible they were not married at the time of her conception.....which of course doesnt prove she was a virgin.
I stand corrected (on the marriage point)...

Old 08-14-2009, 03:52 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
And Maryam (Mary), the daughter of 'Imran who guarded her chastity. And We breathed into (the sleeve of her shirt or her garment) through Our Ruh [i.e. Jibril (Gabriel) ], and she testified to the truth of the Words of her Lord [i.e. believed in the Words of Allah: "Be!" - and he was; that is 'Îsa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary) as a Messenger of Allah], and (also believed in) His Scriptures, and she was of the Qanitun (i.e. obedient to Allah) . 66:12
Well, I think that beats even Rev.111's contribution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality