Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:18 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Ask jeffbase40 . He seems to unquestionably believe stories like this so maybe he has one up his sleeve (Or maybe this is one of them)
Hey! How do you tag people on the forums? ...

Edit:

Oh never mind, it's just a link .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
One of my Christian brothers was healed of stage 4 thyroid cancer. Completely gone on his following scan. The doctor was astonished.
Probably because he never had it to begin with .

Old 03-31-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDALLOKUYA View Post
And when I say cancer I mean cancer that had already metastasized /spread beyond operational removal?
Probably not, she either never had it to begin with, it wasn't aggressive and her body fought it off *there are some cases of that*, or she's lying about it in some fashion. Since her son is a snake oil salesman I will go with the latter,

Old 03-31-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Last Sunday my pastor told the congregation that Jane X (I won't use her real name) was getting a pre-surgery scan of her tumor. The tumor was not there. She has the pictures and medical records to prove it.
Or she was simply misdiagnosed, which does happen on occasion. That's not to say that it's not possible, it's just that often people go with the most fantastical view in these situations while dismissing the perfectly logical as well.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:08 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
And when I say cancer I mean cancer that had already metastasized /spread beyond operational removal?

No.

Maybe a doctor cured her, but nobody can expect to lay hands on somebody and expect a healing. The first disciples had no doubts and it wasn't a maybe whether who cities would be healed, they just were.

The dead were raised, the blind saw, and the lame were healed.

That was when the Holy spirit dwelled in people, and if anyone makes a claim that they have the Holy spirit like the first disciples, then where are their works?

There isn't one.

Fortunately, the promise of the Holy spirit is given twice, but the promise of the holy spirit on Shemini Atzereth is not shared like the first giving of spirit was shared, and it comes in double portion.

It can only be obtained by those who prepare for the day just as the first disciples had to be prepared in order to receive a warning and then to stay on course in counting the omer right up until the hour of the promise.

But it would be a shame for somebody to claim to already have the holy spirit because it means they have no chance of receiving the promise of rain in the fall.

The whole world may claim to have the Holy spirit, but when the rain will fall on Shemini Atzereth, they will see people indwelled with a real spirit that will be irrefutable.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:12 AM

301 posts, read 295,876 times
I fail to understand why people would advocate the remission or "cure" of advanced stage cancer without chemo, radiation, surgery being so impossible that it would be a miracle or proof of a God, much less the god of the Christian bible.

Cancer occurs in the body all the time. Most of the time, the body's immune system "destroys" for lack of a better term the cancerous cells before they have time to gain a foothold. Even when cancer undergoes metastasis, spreading throughout the body, the immune system continues to fight and destroy cancer cells. Arguably, the disease depending on the type, can be extremely aggressive, and quickly fatal.

But there is nothing miraculous and definitely nothing proving a god because someone's immune system bounces back and reverses the course. While we know a lot about the immune system, it is so much more complex than anything we learn in school. The simple antibody, white-blood cell model is about as primitive as first grade flash cards are to a supercomputer. I personally have several aggressive autoimmune disorders that didn't show up until mid-life. It is amazing how complex the immune system is once you start to study it. The fact that it can recover a body that if nearly fully diseased is a testament to how robust we have evolved not only to fight all the different pathogens that populate the earth but also to repair all the different type of damage the body can take.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:27 AM

750 posts, read 644,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistAstroGuy View Post
I fail to understand why people would advocate the remission or "cure" of advanced stage cancer without chemo, radiation, surgery being so impossible that it would be a miracle or proof of a God, much less the god of the Christian bible.

Cancer occurs in the body all the time. Most of the time, the body's immune system "destroys" for lack of a better term the cancerous cells before they have time to gain a foothold. Even when cancer undergoes metastasis, spreading throughout the body, the immune system continues to fight and destroy cancer cells. Arguably, the disease depending on the type, can be extremely aggressive, and quickly fatal.

But there is nothing miraculous and definitely nothing proving a god because someone's immune system bounces back and reverses the course. While we know a lot about the immune system, it is so much more complex than anything we learn in school. The simple antibody, white-blood cell model is about as primitive as first grade flash cards are to a supercomputer. I personally have several aggressive autoimmune disorders that didn't show up until mid-life. It is amazing how complex the immune system is once you start to study it. The fact that it can recover a body that if nearly fully diseased is a testament to how robust we have evolved not only to fight all the different pathogens that populate the earth but also to repair all the different type of damage the body can take.
In that case there should be documented verifiable records of our immune system "reversing" metastasized inoperable cancer.

There isnt any that I know of.

Our immune system is complex and capable of alot, but curing metastasized cancer it is not.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:45 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
In that case there should be documented verifiable records of our immune system "reversing" metastasized inoperable cancer.

Our immune system is complex and capable of alot, but curing metastasized cancer it is not.

But to believe a story like the one presented here, there should be documented verifiable records of her having any kind of cancer at all. Apparently, none were offered.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:03 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:

I think his point was that there are cancerous cells in your and my body right now, that are being dealt with effectively by our immune systems and likely will never rise to a detectable pathology. Rogue cell growth is a fact of our biology, it is just that most of the time our biology keeps it in check.

From what I read just yesterday as a matter of fact, the problem with tumors once they are established is that they have ways to eluding detection as an intruder, and the most promising avenue of treatment are cancer vaccines, which increasingly can be customized to the individual situation and also undermine the tumor's ability to evade the immune system's detection mechanisms.

I would be unsurprised to find that like a stopped clock being right twice a day, once in awhile someone's immune system hits on the right vulnerability and destroys the cancer even when it is advanced.

As far as remission of metastasized cancer goes, I know that there are some forms of cancer (some forms of lung cancer for instance) that can shrink quite rapidly at times, and while the normal course is that they eventually resume their growth and kill the host, that suggests that even advanced cancers are at least imperfectly put on the run so to speak by people's immune systems.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:51 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Probably because he never had it to begin with .
Umm you kinda need a scan first that shows wide spread cancer to receive a diagnosis of stage 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality