Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 02:04 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Like wise we Muslims believe the Bible and Tanakh are correct except where they contradict the Qur'an
Then do you believe the first sentence in Chapter 31 of the Book of Numbers is true or false?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 02:44 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
my Creator would never give such a command..

Old 04-22-2015, 02:44 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Like wise we Muslims believe the Bible and Tanakh are correct except where they contradict the Qur'an

Much akin to the way that fundamentalists believe that science is correct with the exception of those theories which contradict the Bible.

Doctrinal convenience is not a factor in determining what is or is not true, it is just a factor in determining what will or won't be believed.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:56 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Much akin to the way that fundamentalists believe that science is correct with the exception of those theories which contradict the Bible.

Doctrinal convenience is not a factor in determining what is or is not true, it is just a factor in determining what will or won't be believed.
Completely different scenario. Science is based on observation and experimentation for the purpose of the collection of data in order that the evidence becomes so overwhelming that conclusions of proposed facts may come from them. Denying science is to deny evidence.

Denying the Bible of King James when it contradicts what we *believe* to be truth (the Quran) is an entirely different scenario to the above.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:13 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
People who post on CD...just kidding...
You'll be the first one to perish, oh just kidding !!!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2015, 04:38 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
my Creator would never give such a command..
Why not. She gave them before. Does a leopard change its spots?

Old 04-22-2015, 04:46 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
I would seek immediate psychiatric help for anyone telling me God told them to harm someone. God telling someone to do this is very scary for the person experiencing this.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:57 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Completely different scenario. Science is based on observation and experimentation for the purpose of the collection of data in order that the evidence becomes so overwhelming that conclusions of proposed facts may come from them. Denying science is to deny evidence.

Denying the Bible of King James when it contradicts what we *believe* to be truth (the Quran) is an entirely different scenario to the above.
If it wasn't different, it wouldn't be an analogy, it would be the same thing.

For an analogy to work, there only has to be common elements or properties, not duplication. The common element in the case before us is convenience. "I rule that everything here is true with the exception of those things which contradict my existing beliefs." That is the dynamic at work in both cases.

It seems like about five times a year I find myself having to explain what an analogy is to someone who is objecting on the same grounds as we see above. Aren't they covering this in schools any longer?

Old 04-22-2015, 06:00 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Could you put your normal morals aside? Could you be convinced that God is really talking to you? How would you know? How did Saul know?

Could you justify exterminating a would group of people and that is God ordered it, it must be good?
I am convinced that God talks to ALL of us all the time. God would NEVER tell us to do evil.

End of discussion.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:20 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,018,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
If it wasn't different, it wouldn't be an analogy, it would be the same thing.

For an analogy to work, there only has to be common elements or properties, not duplication. The common element in the case before us is convenience. "I rule that everything here is true with the exception of those things which contradict my existing beliefs." That is the dynamic at work in both cases.

It seems like about five times a year I find myself having to explain what an analogy is to someone who is objecting on the same grounds as we see above. Aren't they covering this in schools any longer?
Sigh... Wrong again. In order for an analogy to work it must be logically consistent. Your first case consists of one denying established fact at the behest of belief, whereas the second case is where one denies the beliefs of others based on their own belief.

They might have taught analogy at your school, but you obviously were riding the short bus to said school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality