Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 09:55 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Though I spray my posts with them like capers on a pizza.
You are clearly not from around here!
I think I can find hen's teeth sooner than I can find capers on a pizza in my neck of the woods...

-NoCapo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 12:09 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
You asked: Spin-Off Question: Religious people what would you do differently if you were an Atheist?
I just don't know. I would probably find life meaningless if it were causeless. I would probably be depressed most of the time and come here and my life would be wrapped up in making fun of people like me who actually believe the Bible since there'd be nothing better to do.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:27 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You asked: Spin-Off Question: Religious people what would you do differently if you were an Atheist?
I just don't know. I would probably find life meaningless if it were causeless. I would probably be depressed most of the time and come here and my life would be wrapped up in making fun of people like me who actually believe the Bible since there'd be nothing better to do.
*sigh*

Old 04-29-2015, 07:39 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
You are clearly not from around here!
I think I can find hen's teeth sooner than I can find capers on a pizza in my neck of the woods...

-NoCapo
You should see what I put on my dessert pizzas.

Quote:
You are quite right. You clearly just don't know.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:45 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
*sigh*
::Sigh:: Indeed, Cruithne!! Reason seems to be the beggar in these discussions with unreasoning credulity!

Old 04-29-2015, 11:11 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
It's unfortunate you lack imagination and must resort to establishing myth as fact in order to make your god understandable.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:40 PM

779 posts, read 484,151 times
It's a myth that non-believers have nothing to live for. Quite the opposite we have everything to live for, and nothing to die for.

I can't imagine wasting my life looking forward to death, and not just my death but the death of all mankind. And praying to what amounts to a human sacrifice (jesus).

And your only hope at a wonderful fulfilling life is after you die. Such a preoccupation with death.

Last edited by willingsniper; 05-03-2015 at 01:24 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 02:16 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
The premise here was not "What would you do if against your will you were forced to become an atheist?" where you are an atheist who retains all of his or her sympathies and respect for religion. The question was what you would do if you were an atheist.

The answers that the believers here have been providing all seemed to have assumed the former conditions, that there is no difference in mentality at all.

In reality, if you were an atheist, it would be because you chose to be an atheist and do not believe in any of the religious theories. In such circumstances you would be indistinguishable from any other atheist and would have a mentality congruent with the mentalities you have seen from the atheists on these boards.

So, stop answering the question as though you are an atheist who is actually still a clandestine Christian. Try and imagine a world where you enthusiastically embrace atheism and answer that way.

Do any of you see any of the atheists on these boards who are behaving or thinking in the manner you are projecting that you would if you were an atheist? Are we all full of gloom, doom and despair? None of us seem happy or well adjusted?

Old 05-03-2015, 04:17 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Do any of you see any of the atheists on these boards who are behaving or thinking in the manner you are projecting that you would if you were an atheist? Are we all full of gloom, doom and despair? None of us seem happy or well adjusted?
It is the triumph of dogma over reality.

When ones world-view comes before the evidence, all evidence that contradicts it is ignored - if it's even noticed at all.

We see the same thing with the endless pronouncements that in the absence of religion, people will not behave morally. This requires ignoring the reality that the part of the United States with the highest rates of religious belief and church attendance - the South - also has by far the highest violent crime rate of any region of the country. It requires ignoring the fact that the violent crime rate is higher in the relatively more pious United States than in Canada. It requires ignoring the fact that the most violent parts of Europe - southern and eastern Europe - are demonstrably more religious than the comparatively less violent northern and western Europe. Over and over the claim is made by religious people who have in most cases probably never even bothered to check their assumptions against the great human laboratory of society.

And so it is with the hopeless and miserable atheist, a creature that is far more common in the fervent imagination of the believer than in the real world.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:38 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,461 times
Quote:
I just don't know. I would probably find life meaningless if it were causeless. I would probably be depressed most of the time
ditto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality