Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:39 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times

Advertisements

I am putting this in the General section as many Christians do not believe the non-Trinitarian churches to be Christian.
I am asking this as a question not as a debate. I am curious.
What caused me to ask this, is earlier this day I was looking to see what some non-mainstream Christians believe. I was surprised to find so many were non-trinitarian.
the listing was much larger than I expected.
What I found as being non-Trinity denominations

Pages in category "Nontrinitarian denominations"

The following 43 pages are in this category, out of 43 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
A

Adoptivi
American Unitarian Association
American Unitarian Conference
Apostolic Overcoming Holy Church of God
Associated Brotherhood of Christians

C

Catholic Christian Church
Chiesa Cristiana in Italia
Christadelphians
Christian Science
Church of God (Seventh-Day)
Church of God General Conference
Church of God International (United States)
Church of God, a Worldwide Association
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Strangite)
Church of the Blessed Hope

D

Doukhobor

E

Ebionites

F

Familist
Fellowship of Non-Subscribing Christians

G

General Church of the New Jerusalem

I

Iglesia ni Cristo
Intercontinental Church of God
Israelite Church of God in Jesus Christ

J

Jehovah's Witnesses

L

Lord's New Church Which Is Nova Hierosolyma
La Luz del Mundo

M

Megiddo Church
Members Church of God International
Mormonism
Most Holy Church of God in Christ Jesus

N

Nazarene fellowship
The New Church

P

Pentecostal Assemblies of the World
Pneumatomachi
Polish Brethren

R

Restoration Church of Jesus Christ

S

Subbotniks

T

Two by Twos

U

Unification Church
Unitarian Church of Transylvania
United Church of God
United Pentecostal Church International

W

The Way International

SOURCE

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 05-01-2015 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 02:16 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
I can't see it. Christianity will always carry three in one, son of God and miraculous birth ideas with it, along with resurrection, raining people from the dead and the Jews were really to blame.

What we might get is a not trinity and non -religious theism. Indeed a large number of 'nones' may be irreligious theists.

I think the future is a secular society with a considerable amount of credit for and even belief in a god of some sort, and of course a lot of religions with minor percentages of adherents and an even smaller percentage of influence.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:25 AM

Thank You for your input. Interesting possibility.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:41 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I am putting this in the General section as many Christians do not believe the non-Trinitarian churches to be Christian.
What caused me to ask this, is earlier this day I was looking to see what some non-mainstream Christians believe. I was surprised to find so many were non-trinitarian.
What I found as being non-Trinity denominations

Pages in category "Nontrinitarian denominations"

The following 43 pages are in this category, out of 43 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
A

Adoptivi
American Unitarian Association
American Unitarian Conference
Apostolic Overcoming Holy Church of God
Associated Brotherhood of Christians

C

Catholic Christian Church
Chiesa Cristiana in Italia
Christadelphians
Christian Science
Church of God (Seventh-Day)
Church of God General Conference
Church of God International (United States)
Church of God, a Worldwide Association
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Strangite)
Church of the Blessed Hope

D

Doukhobor

E

Ebionites

F

Familist
Fellowship of Non-Subscribing Christians

G

General Church of the New Jerusalem

I

Iglesia ni Cristo
Intercontinental Church of God
Israelite Church of God in Jesus Christ

J

Jehovah's Witnesses

L

Lord's New Church Which Is Nova Hierosolyma
La Luz del Mundo

M

Megiddo Church
Members Church of God International
Mormonism
Most Holy Church of God in Christ Jesus

N

Nazarene fellowship
The New Church

P

Pentecostal Assemblies of the World
Pneumatomachi
Polish Brethren

R

Restoration Church of Jesus Christ

S

Subbotniks

T

Two by Twos

U

Unification Church
Unitarian Church of Transylvania
United Church of God
United Pentecostal Church International

W

The Way International

SOURCE
Does it make sense that there is a difference between those that associate with Christianity and those that actually adhere to the doctrines of Christianity?

1800 years ago it was declared that anyone that does not believe the Trinity is a heretic. So, really...the historical Christian faith would not consider those groups to be Christians.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:47 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Does it make sense that there is a difference between those that associate with Christianity and those that actually adhere to the doctrines of Christianity?

1800 years ago it was declared that anyone that does not believe the Trinity is a heretic. So, really...the historical Christian faith would not consider those groups to be Christians.
The doctrine of Trinity came about in 325 A.D....

Old 05-02-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Yes, that is true for all religions.
However, every person that claims association with a religion almost always claims their flavor is the correct one.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The doctrine of Trinity came about in 325 A.D....
I can show you scriptural support for it in the Old Testament, as well as the NT letters, Gospels and Acts. It was believed long before 325 AD. 325 was when it was officially recognized. But the point is that since the council in 325 all of Christianity has considered it a required belief among Christians. Anyone that denied the Trinity was considered to be outside the faith.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:06 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
I can show you scriptural support for it in the Old Testament, as well as the NT letters, Gospels and Acts. It was believed long before 325 AD. 325 was when it was officially recognized. But the point is that since the council in 325 all of Christianity has considered it a required belief among Christians. Anyone that denied the Trinity was considered to be outside the faith.
Woodrow said he did not want to create an argument here...

And not you cannot show scriptural support from your OT...The concept was not fully developed til 325 A.D....

Just out of curiosity, show me this "support"...

Old 05-02-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Woodrow said he did not want to create an argument here...

And not you cannot show scriptural support from your OT...The concept was not fully developed til 325 A.D....

Just out of curiosity, show me this "support"...
I don't want to argue--I don't mean to hijack Woodrow's thread. But the point remains that he called "Christian" those that don't believe in the Trinity, while it was decided in 325 AD definitively that Christians believe the Trinity. It has historically been orthodox Christian belief. I also am claiming that the OT and NT both support it, and I give the following for support:

It's a bit of a read, but I got this from Bible.org. It quotes from Ryrie's Theoogy, which I use. If I were going to type it up, this is what I'd say. There is nothing in scripture that says "Trinity". I recognize that. But the concept is still there.

OLD TESTAMENT SCRIPTURES

While there is no explicit statement in the Old Testament affirming the Triunity, we can confidently say that the Old Testament not only allows for the Triunity, but also implies that God is a triune Being in a number of ways:

(1) The name Elohim, translated God, is the plural form of El. While this is what is called a plural of plenitude pointing to the power and majesty of God, it certainly allows for the New Testament revelation of the Triunity of God.

(2) There are many instances where God uses the plural pronoun to describe Himself (see Gen. 1:26; 3:22; 11:7; Isa. 6:8).

(3) In the creation account, both God the Father and God the Holy Spirit are seen in the work of creation. It is stated that God created heaven and earth (Gen. 1:1), but that it was the Holy Spirit who moved over the earth to infuse it with life in the sense of protecting and participating in the work of creation (Gen. 1:2).

(4) Writing about the Messiah, Isaiah reveals Him to be equal with God, calling Him the “Mighty God” and “Eternal Father” (Isa. 9:6).

(5) Several passages reveal a distinction of Persons within the Godhead.

In Psalm 110:1, David demonstrates there is a distinction of Persons between “LORD,” the one speaking, and the one addressed called by David, “my Lord.” David was indicating the Messiah was no ordinary king, but his own Lord, Adoni (my Lord), one who was God Himself. So God the first Person addresses God the second Person. This is precisely Peter’s point when He quotes this Psalm to show the resurrection of the Messiah was anticipated in the Old Testament.
The Redeemer (who must be divine, Isa. 7:14; 9:6) is distinguished from the Lord (Isa. 59:20).
The Lord is distinguished from the Lord in Hosea 1:6-7. The one speaking here is Yahweh, the Lord, yet, note the statement in verse 7, “I will have compassion … and deliver them by the Lord their God.”
The Spirit is distinguished from the Lord in a number of passages (Isa. 48:16; 59:21; 63:9-10).
(6) In the Messianic prophecy of Isaiah 7:14, God made it clear that the One who would be born of the virgin would also be Immanuel, God with us.

(7) Two other passages which imply the Trinity are Isaiah 48:16 and 61:1. In Isaiah 48:16 all three Persons are mentioned and yet seen as distinct from each other. See also Gen. 22:15-16.

NEW TESTAMENT SCRIPTURES

The case for the Triunity of God is even stronger in the New Testament. Here it can be unequivocally demonstrated the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God. Furthermore, the New Testament teaches us that these three names are not synonymous, but speak of three distinct and equal Persons.

(1) The Father is called God (John 6:27; 20:17; 1 Cor. 8:6; Gal. 1:1; Eph. 4:6; Phil. 2:11; 1 Pet. 1:2).

(2) Jesus Christ, the Son is declared to be God. His deity is proven by the divine names given to Him, by His works that only God could do (upholding all things, Col. 1:17; creation, Col. 1:16, John 1:3; and future judgment, John 5:27), by His divine attributes (eternality, John 17:5; omnipresence, Matt. 28:20; omnipotence, Heb. 1:3; omniscience, Matt. 9:4), and by explicit statements declaring His deity (John 1:1; 20:28; Titus 2:13; Heb. 1:8).

(3) The Holy Spirit is recognized as God. By comparing Peter’s comments in Acts 5:3 and 4, we see that in lying to the Holy Spirit (vs. 3), Ananias was lying to God (vs. 4). He has the attributes which only God can possess like omniscience (1 Cor. 2:10) and omnipresence (1 Cor. 6:19), and He regenerates people to new life (John 3:5-6, 8; Tit. 3:5), which must of necessity be a work of God for only God has the power of life. Finally, His deity is evident by the divine names used for the Spirit as “the Spirit of our God,” (1 Cor. 6:11), which should be understood as “the Spirit, who is our God.”

Old 05-02-2015, 09:59 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I'm not surprised in the slightest. Back in the late 1700s, Thomas Jefferson said,"It is too late in the day for men of sincerity to pretend they believe in the Platonic mysticisms that three are one and one is three, and yet one is not three and three are not one."I guess it just took longer than he had expected for people to figure out that what they'd been told for nearly two hundred years could not be substantiated by scripture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality