Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 11:49 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
The evil deity was supposed to have flooded the whole world, even if all the adults were bad, which of course is crazy, what had the kids and babies done wrong?
They were born sinners.

Next? Still waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 12:20 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,650,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Give me an example from that of God ever killing an innocent person, please.
It happens every day, it's called spontaneous abortion.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:23 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
They were born sinners.

Next? Still waiting.
Now wait just a minute....a few threads ago, you told me god didn't do it!
Now you're admitting he did but it's OK 'cause he had a reason?
Make up my mind Vizio.

(not that we're not used to seeing the stories, explanations and excuses change wherever it's convenient)

Old 07-02-2015, 12:39 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Give me an example from that of God ever killing an innocent person, please.
Tell me what the billions of puppies and kittens and bumblebees and ants and trees that he slaughtered were guilty of.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:41 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
They were born sinners.

Next? Still waiting.
LOL. You're becoming as cartoon-like as your god.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:43 PM

792 posts, read 496,946 times
Did that cause harm?
Yes -> Immoral
No -> Moral

There is a large blurry spot in the middle, and this is the one that EVERYONE disagrees on. Examples

Is it moral for 1 person to die so that 5000 can live? I think so. I would have gladly shot those 19 terrorists on 9/10/2001.
Is it moral for 1 person to die so that 10 can live? Probably. One 90 year old man for 10 teenagers I think most people would agree to. I know if I were 90 and knew that my death would save 10 teenagers I'd go for it. (Women and children first!)
Is it moral for 1 person to die for 2. Uh oh. This isn't so clear.

There are many more examples. The "bible" doesn't spell out every possible circumstance. It can't. We all look at evidence and make tough decisions based on our environment, situation and experience.

It is wrong to assume that "god", let's say, hates gay sex that you should too. When in actuality "we" think gay sex is nasty, hence "god" SURELY must think the same way, therefore reinforcing our preexisting preference.

The zeitgeist, and therefore the morality of the day, changes over time. See slavery, antisemitism, and gay marriage.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:48 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
Did that cause harm?
Yes -> Immoral
No -> Moral
Why? You really need to answer that before we can go any further. Why does the presence of harm determine immorality?

Old 07-02-2015, 12:54 PM

689 posts, read 549,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
[*]If God is omnipotent, then he could have created a world in which no one was condemned, by their own choice or otherwise, to infinite suffering.
This is however an illogical human ideal more like a square circle.

Free will means division. In the end, the division will be a freewill is either with God or not with Him. Otherwise, it's not a freewill.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:59 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
This is however an illogical human ideal more like a square circle.
Then Heaven is a lie, because that particular square circle is what is promised after death. A world in which there is no suffering, joy, peace, and love forever more. If it can exist as the world to come, then God could have chosen to skip straight to that, but did not.

<edit> Sorry it only showed half your post. In Heaven there will be no freewill either, so it can't be that big of a deal. And on top of that, how much freewill can there be with an omnipotent God? Nothing can possibly happen that he did not choose to have happen, and there is no forcing his hand, so everything including death, disease, and hell are there simply for God's pleasure. There can be no other reason, unless God is limited by something greater still...
-NoCapo

Old 07-02-2015, 01:01 PM

689 posts, read 549,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Then Heaven is a lie, because that particular square circle is what is promised after death. A world in which there is no suffering, joy, peace, and love forever more. If it can exist as the world to come, then God could have chosen to skip straight to that, but did not.

-NoCapo
That's after the freewill division. Angels have a division, humans have another. After that , peace will come. God has foreknowledge to put whoever not qualified in heaven to divide during the earth period.

As for afterlife. God hid the Tree of Life from the reach of humans such that humans have no access to what would happen after death. The same day you choose to rely on your knowledge/intelligence to make a judgment to say that afterlife doesn't exist, the same day you shall surely die (Genesis 101).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality