Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 11:08 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,077 times

Advertisements

It would never work in the legal sense. What happens in a WWM marriage if the M dies? Are the W still married? What if one of the W dies, do the remaining WM split the difference? What about taxes and insurance? Or military spousal benefits

It's way too complicated to ever be considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 11:09 AM

1,422 posts, read 951,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
It would never work in the legal sense. What happens in a WWM marriage if the M dies? Are the W still married? What if one of the W dies, do the remaining WM split the difference? What about taxes and insurance? Or military spousal benefits

It's way too complicated to ever be considered.
When it comes to laws which discriminate, then nothing should be place in the "too hard"

Old 07-06-2015, 11:14 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
If people want to do it, why not...
who pays for the ones that go bad? that's why.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:16 AM

745 posts, read 801,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
who pays for the ones that go bad? that's why.
The same people who pay when monogamist marriages fail... all of the parties involved

The courts and legislatures will have to figure out the minutiae and details of the processes and procedures...

"Society" is not going to "pay", so for me, I don't care any more if a polygamist marriage fails than if a normal marriage fails.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:19 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
Badlander, it is fortunate the evidence of what i am actually saying is there for people to read for themselves rather than blindly trusting your word for what it is you think I am saying and why I am saying it.

My advice is that you either post on topic or stay out of it because your commentary on what you assume are my motives and is an attack against me personally and are not what this thread is about and your twisting my words to suit your agenda to comment on me rather than on what is being said is travesty and breaks forum rules.

I will glady stay out of your threads. And I too am glad that others can read all the posts made by everyone else. You have falsely accused me of having an agenda and being both for discrimination and against polygamy. You are certainly wrong on the latter as I myself do not know where I stand on it. Don't like personal attacks and the twisting of your words than do not start with the personal attacks and twisting of other people's words. It is that simple.

If it breaks the forum's rules report me. I have no agenda other than to discuss the pros and cons of the issue. You are the one who accuses married couples of wanting to discriminate against polygamists in order to keep their benefits and have accussed me of being anti polygamy.

As far as posting on topic you even changed what the topic was supposed to be about without telling anyone and critisized one fellow poster because they did not know that you changed what you wanted to talk about. If the topic is only polygamy why is it that you bring up gays so much?

Old 07-06-2015, 12:42 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,637,077 times
Quote:
When it comes to laws which discriminate, then nothing should be place in the "too hard"
It's not discrimination. You're free to marry whoever you want. Just one person at a time. Get divorced and re-marry if you want to marry someone else.

No 1st world country recognizes polygamy on the legal basis. If you want to get "married" in the religious sense, go ahead. But there's too many loopholes and what if's when you introduce polygamy into the legal system.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Some seem to think it would make a lot of difference and even jeopardize their advantage which they already have under the law.

Are you asking 'what has the law got to do with love?'
Isn't that the view of the Supreme Court? The Gay claim is that they love each other so they should be able to marry. So why shouldn't Polytheists be able to marry if they love each other. What is the standard for marriage and how is it determined? Can't be religion.?

Old 07-06-2015, 02:29 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Isn't that the view of the Supreme Court? The Gay claim is that they love each other so they should be able to marry. So why shouldn't Polytheists be able to marry if they love each other. What is the standard for marriage and how is it determined? Can't be religion.?
No, my claim was that a man can marry a woman, but a woman can't. That is discrimination since one is allowed to do something that the other is not allowed to do.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:38 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No, my claim was that a man can marry a woman, but a woman can't. That is discrimination since one is allowed to do something that the other is not allowed to do.
True, but what is the basis for how many make up a marriage? Can't be religion, though Islam allows polygamy, so what guides the standard? Who says it is just 2 and not 3, 4, 5, etc? Why limit it to 2?

Old 07-06-2015, 02:38 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

Would not religious rights be one of the strongest arguments FOR polygomy? At least stronger of an arguement then civil or human rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality