Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 07:52 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
Getting back to the OP, here is a good article about WHY these good christians were fined as they were...

Get back to me if you still think it's unfair... these bakers had it coming

Sweet Cakes by Melissa Didn’t Just Deny a Lesbian Couple Service, They Also Doxxed Them and Their Kids

Cannot take this story serious it is not from a right wing Christian source.

Doubt Jeff or Vizio will read it though. Thanks as it added more information to the story. And for others, I have also read several of the right wing Christian sources as well.

Maybe the suggestion that businesses can discriminate on the bases of religious beliefs if they adverstise as such is not so bad after all. All a business has to do is on all advertisment and on the store sign and door is put up a sign saying WE OBEY LETVITICUS. Maybe a logo should be designed and required as well. I for one would never enter any business having that logo. Perhaps in a decade or so almost all the Letviticus businesses will be out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 08:05 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Yea yeah ,I know, you think I'm the stupidest person in the entire world, or whatever fiction you need to spin to feel superior. I don't giving a flying rip what age you think I am. Just here to discuss an important case involving religious freedom. That is all.
Isn't it pretty foolish think your religious freedom should encroach on government laws? Our government is about equality, while your religion just preaches division. By the way, I think you are in your mid-30s, and you are not stupid, just misinformed about people who don't share your beliefs.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:22 AM

745 posts, read 801,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Isn't it pretty foolish think your religious freedom should encroach on government laws? Our government is about equality, while your religion just preaches division. By the way, I think you are in your mid-30s, and you are not stupid, just misinformed about people who don't share your beliefs.
I got the impression that he's MUCH older than that...

Anyone in their mid 30's that is that much of a fundamental zealot really is miswired or has something wrong with them...

Old 07-10-2015, 08:33 AM

42 posts, read 40,354 times
Quote:
And that's the false narrative that you must present being we are haters. And I'll say it again. We only hate sin not the sinner just like God does. And I rather be on the side being against sin than supporting it on judgement day. If homosexuality is not a sin then God is a liar in His Word. Sorry but that scenario just isn't likely.
I feel hate on my end from people like you. So you can claim you don't hate till the cows come home. I avoid evangelical "Bible literalist" Christian extremists at all costs in real life, because I only feel judgement and hate from them.

The Bible was written and interpreted by man. Religion was created by humans. Taking stories literally that 100% defy science (god made Eve out of Adams rib, walking on water, an ark, miracles, etc.) is pure insanity. It seems as though you have a personal agenda here, being so incredibly focused on what gay men do. I suspect an attempt to validate personal decisions in life.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:38 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
Yea yeah ,I know, you think I'm the stupidest person in the entire world, or whatever fiction you need to spin to feel superior. I don't giving a flying rip what age you think I am. Just here to discuss an important case involving religious freedom. That is all.

Jeff I beleive that for some reason or another you are under the belief that many people but especially gays and their supports are out to destroy your religion. This is not happening, no one cares what you believe in they just do not want to have to have laws designed around your belief. The fact that you appear to place all people who do not accept your fundamenalists views as anti Christian reenforces this as many of the people you think are anti Christian are actually Christians. I believe that the fear you are under that your religion and your God are under attack clearly cloud your vision on many of the issues, blinding you to many facts. This has nothing to do with intelligence.

We live in a secular world. Your religious freedoms means the government cannot tell you which god you have to worship or if indeed you must have a god or cannot have a god. It does not mean that you have the freedom to decide which laws if any you will obey. I think that your fear of losing your religion is the main reason you cannot see the difference. It may be also the reason that you fail to see when other people that you view as being on the other side are not disagreeing with you or not attacking you. An example would be your constant complaint that no one has condemmed the death threats despite that not being true. Your mind is very set and rigid that we are coming after you and your god that you need to lash out. Getting back to this thread, the law prohibits the baker from discriminating against sexual orientation but they did. Not an attack on their religion but a fine for breaking the law. ACcording to the documents the not only decided that the law did not apply to them but they sought out publciity for their cause and made the names and addresses of the two women public. That too is not a religious right. I get that you think that homosexuality is immoral according to your Bible and how you intreprete that book. But same sex is legal for anyone who wants to do so but you will live to see that it will not destroy or even weaken your religion nor does it intend to. Your fears are unfounded unless you fear having to live in the same world as Christians who do not agree with you plus non Christians.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:53 AM

745 posts, read 801,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Jeff I beleive that for some reason or another you are under the belief that many people but especially gays and their supports are out to destroy your religion. This is not happening, no one cares what you believe in they just do not want to have to have laws designed around your belief. The fact that you appear to place all people who do not accept your fundamenalists views as anti Christian reenforces this as many of the people you think are anti Christian are actually Christians. I believe that the fear you are under that your religion and your God are under attack clearly cloud your vision on many of the issues, blinding you to many facts. This has nothing to do with intelligence.

We live in a secular world. Your religious freedoms means the government cannot tell you which god you have to worship or if indeed you must have a god or cannot have a god. It does not mean that you have the freedom to decide which laws if any you will obey. I think that your fear of losing your religion is the main reason you cannot see the difference. It may be also the reason that you fail to see when other people that you view as being on the other side are not disagreeing with you or not attacking you. An example would be your constant complaint that no one has condemmed the death threats despite that not being true. Your mind is very set and rigid that we are coming after you and your god that you need to lash out. Getting back to this thread, the law prohibits the baker from discriminating against sexual orientation but they did. Not an attack on their religion but a fine for breaking the law. ACcording to the documents the not only decided that the law did not apply to them but they sought out publciity for their cause and made the names and addresses of the two women public. That too is not a religious right. I get that you think that homosexuality is immoral according to your Bible and how you intreprete that book. But same sex is legal for anyone who wants to do so but you will live to see that it will not destroy or even weaken your religion nor does it intend to. Your fears are unfounded unless you fear having to live in the same world as Christians who do not agree with you plus non Christians.
Or he's so deep in the closet that this is his way of "coping" with his own homosexual tendencies...

Old 07-10-2015, 08:54 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Wrong again, Jeff. I do not think you are the stupidest person in the world. I do, however, think that there are some holes in your education and you would benefit from classes in civics and American government. I believe that if you understood how this country works and if you had a grasp of what is constitutional, and what is not, and what is secular and what is not, and what religious freedom entails.......you would see why your arguments supporting the owners of the bake shop fall flat.

Education is a good thing, Jeff. And, no, it won't turn you into an atheist commie. You can still go to church and you can still believe in God... even after learning what the three branches of government are.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-10-2015 at 09:03 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 09:00 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Do you even listen to your rhetoric? No one cares what I believe as if you somehow speak for the entire human race. I call this the isolationist tactic. Creating the illusion by singling me out and making it look like I am the only person not on the gay band wagon. That's why I pointed out Herman Cain's article. Thousands of people agreed that this ruling was unjust so obviously you can't say that no one cares about my beliefs because my beliefs are shared by many.

I am under the belief that secularism has rotted a growing hatred towards Christianity. We are now branded as the enemies which is pretty ridiculous considering our beliefs are rooted in unconditional love and forgiveness. Anyone can call themselves a Christian but when you attack the word of God and spread false teachings then your salvation status is suspect. Especially when you hurl insults and mockery at someone who simply has a difference of opinion. That is the exact opposite of the fruits of the spirit.

Quote:

We live in a secular world. Your religious freedoms means the government cannot tell you which god you have to worship or if indeed you must have a god or cannot have a god. It does not mean that you have the freedom to decide which laws if any you will obey. I think that your fear of losing your religion is the main reason you cannot see the difference. It may be also the reason that you fail to see when other people that you view as being on the other side are not disagreeing with you or not attacking you.
Not attacking me? Then my personal life should never be a part of the discussion. Demanding to know my age should not be a part of the discussion. Constantly making snide comments about my lack of intellect or education should not be a part of the discussion. You can easily disagree and make your counter argument without some rhetoric like "your post is the most idiotic thing I ever read in my entire life!!"
I don't think my perception is jaded. I think it is quite clear.

Quote:

An example would be your constant complaint that no one has condemmed the death threats despite that not being true. Your mind is very set and rigid that we are coming after you and your god that you need to lash out. Getting back to this thread, the law prohibits the baker from discriminating against sexual orientation but they did. Not an attack on their religion but a fine for breaking the law.
Broken record. All you are doing is repeating the same tired legal argument. I get it. They did not obey a law that is loosely defined. The debate is the morality of such law. But you stubbornly refuse to do it probably because you know it is wrong to be forced by the government to perform a action against your morals. We try to present a non-religious example like KKK and the response is well they are not a protected group! It's frustrating when people like you just refuse to try and understand the debate from our perspective. Apparently you just have this belief that the secular side is always right, no exceptions.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:03 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wrong again, Jeff. I do not think you are the stupidest person in the world. I do, however, feel that there are some holes in your education and you would benefit from classes in civics and American government. I believe that if you understood how this country works and if you had a grasp of what is constitutional, and what is not, and what is secular and what is not, you would see why your arguments supporting the owners of the bake shop fall flat.

Education is a good thing, Jeff. And, no, it won't turn you into an atheist commie. You can still go to church... even after learning what the three branches of government are.

Everyone needs education on something. But instead of just throwing barbs that I lack education, why not explain exactly where I am wrong? It's like the pro fisherman telling the rookie, "son you don't know how to fish! Now I'm not going to tell you what you are doing wrong, but I will keep reminding you that you can't fish!"

Old 07-10-2015, 09:04 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:

Excellent points, especially with regards to choosing which laws to obey. People of "faith" joyfully allow their children to die often horrible deaths by preventing necessary medical services to those children. They did it so much that now many states are changing their laws to prevent child abuse via withholding medical care.

Religious exemptions in child abuse laws:

In 1974, the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare first required states to have clauses in their child abuse and neglect legislation that permits exemptions from prosecution of parents on religious grounds. If a state refused, they would not receive federal child abuse protection grants.

In 1983, the federal government allowed states to repeal these clauses. However, most state still allow parents to use a religious defense if their child dies because prayer was used instead of medical treatment.

Some activity at the state levels cording to Religious Tolerance.Org:

1994 Oregon: Legislature committees heard testimony on two House bills that would require all parents to obtain medical help for their seriously sick or injured children. The bills had strong backing from both major parties, law enforcement, physicians, social workers and child advocates. "...there was limited testimony from Christian Scientists who warned that eliminating the so-called spiritual defense from Oregon's homicide statutes and other areas of the law would unfairly impose upon their religious rights." 4 The House later endorsed a compromise faith healing bill that allows defendants to claim faith healing as a defense.

1994 Minnesota: The state passed a law which requires parents or guardians to alert child protection services if they have withheld medical treatment and that their children were endangered by their decision. Few if any parents or guardians report under this law.

1998 Texas: Critical-care pediatrician Seth Asser said:
"Kids die from accidental deployment of air bags, and you get hearings in Congress. But this goes on, and dozens die and people think there's no problem because the deaths happen one at a time. But the kids who die suffer horribly. This is Jonestown in slow motion."

The American Medical Association, the National District Attorneys Association, the Academy of American Pediatrics and a growing number of local and state legislators agree with him.

2001: The Academy of American Pediatrics went on record in opposition to these exemption laws. 5

Colorado as well as Oregon had experienced an increase in juvenile death rates that paralleled the growth of anti-medical faith groups. 5 Amanda Bates, 13, suffered a horrendous, lingering and painful death from diabetes and gangrene in early 2001. She and her family attended the General Assembly and Church of the First Born. She was the third child to die in that church in three years. This motivated legislators to eliminate an exemption from the child abuse law that had protected parents from abuse charges if they withheld medical attention from children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality