Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 11:04 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times

Advertisements

Here’s what Psychology Today said about the ability to detect the “Mormon glow.” :

Quote:
Several years ago, a woman named Brook White appeared on the reality TV competition show American Idol. White was 24 years old, blond, and strikingly pretty. When she sang her song, "Like a Star," she struck a familiar chord among some viewers. White said nothing about her religion, but Mormons, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, were certain that she was one of their own. "She has the Mormon Glow," one blogger wrote, referring to the belief that the faithful radiate the Holy Spirit. White mentioned that she never drank a cup of coffee or watched an R-rated movie—signs of a Mormon-like squeaky-clean lifestyle. But the "glow" clinched it, and it turned out that her fans were right. "I didn't know I was setting off the Mormon radar," White remarked later in an interview with The Arizona Republic.
And here's the "Mormon Glow". Warning: you have to be Mormon to detect it. Or do you?

http://www.mormonwiki.com/File:Brooke_White1.jpg

Which leads to an interesting question: we all know about the infighting and backstabbing that goes on in the Christian faith. I mean just check out the Christianity forum here if you don't believe that. Very little of that exists among the Mormons and this fact raises an intriguing question: Why do the Mormons seem to leads so much healthier wholesome lives than Christians?

Barna Group study results for divorce rates:

Catholic: 28%
Protestant: 34% (highest)
Muslim: 31%
Jewish: 30%
Mormon: less than 6% for men and less than 7% for women when both partners are Mormon.

So what are the Mormons doing right that the Christians are not?

For myself I'd have to say that if I were lucky enough to be married to Ms. White no way in hell I'd even contemplate a 1-day business trip away from her, let alone divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 12:15 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
I know a lot of Mormons, Mennonites and Hutterites.

The Mormons seem to be the most genuine happy, followed by the Hutterites. Mennonites give me an impression of being constantly dour, especially the women. Strange, as Hutterites are theoretically much more devout and set in their ways. The Hutterite men have a wicked sense of humor, although the women can be a bit withdrawn (they generally are subservient to males).

Old 09-21-2015, 08:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Here’s what Psychology Today said about the ability to detect the “Mormon glow.” :

And here's the "Mormon Glow". Warning: you have to be Mormon to detect it. Or do you?

File:Brooke White1.jpg - Mormonism, The Mormon Church, Beliefs, & Religion - MormonWiki

Which leads to an interesting question: we all know about the infighting and backstabbing that goes on in the Christian faith. I mean just check out the Christianity forum here if you don't believe that. Very little of that exists among the Mormons and this fact raises an intriguing question: Why do the Mormons seem to leads so much healthier wholesome lives than Christians?

Barna Group study results for divorce rates:

Catholic: 28%
Protestant: 34% (highest)
Muslim: 31%
Jewish: 30%
Mormon: less than 6% for men and less than 7% for women when both partners are Mormon.

For myself I'd have to say that if I were lucky enough to be married to Ms. White no way in hell I'd even contemplate a 1-day business trip away from her, let alone divorce.
If both partners are Mormon, wouldn't the divorce rate be the same for men and women, e.g. an equal amount of men divorcing as women?

ETA: I didn't believe the Mormon divorce rate was that low, knowing a few divorced Mormons myself. So I did a little searching, came up with this article:
http://mormonexpression.com/blogs/20...-get-divorced/
"He is only saying that 6% of Mormons actually go through the process of severing their temple marriage. . . He doesn’t clarify that an individual who gets a secular divorce doesn’t necessarily go through a temple sealing cancellation."

The actual Mormon divorce rate is similar to that of the US.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-21-2015 at 08:57 AM..

Old 09-21-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I know a lot of Mormons, Mennonites and Hutterites.

The Mormons seem to be the most genuine happy, followed by the Hutterites. Mennonites give me an impression of being constantly dour, especially the women. Strange, as Hutterites are theoretically much more devout and set in their ways. The Hutterite men have a wicked sense of humor, although the women can be a bit withdrawn (they generally are subservient to males).
Yes, much of it has to do with being raised in a conservative household where normal activities that make a child happy are frowned upon as sinful. That may explain why Danes in particular (voted the happiest people in the world--raised in a non-religious environment, not coincidentally) and Europeans in general are much more satisfied with their lives than Americans-- they don't lug around all that Christian baggage that afflict Americans. But the numbers are reversing as millions of younger Americans with higher education just drop out of Christianity and join the "Nones" and raise their children in a non-Biblical environment. I mean, look at the mess Mack Slick's daughter turned out to be being raised by a nutjob father who ran the household like a military barrack, until she broke free and started living a normal life sans her father's diabolical influence.

Yet this is paradoxical because Mormons are raised even more squeaky clean than Christians, yet are much better balanced mentally, much happier, much more devout to their faith and to each other. I wonder if their belief that when they marry they will stay married and their family will be united for all eternity has anything to do with it. That's a powerful inducement. Mormons believe that their eternal bodies will be flesh and blood just like ours but eternal and incorruptible. They will continue to have sexual unions and continue to have children for eternity. If you were looking for a faith and you had to choose between one who's teachings are as messed up as Christianity (we're all spirits bowing down and worshipping at God's throne for all eternity) OR one who's teachings would give you the "Mormon glow" of happiness wouldn't you choose the latter? I'd choose it so fast you wouldn't have time to blink. Here's why Mormons are much happier than Christians. Check out some of their teachings and see how much more positive their beliefs are than the Christian ones founded on the rubbish in the Bible. Example--hell is NOT eternal suffering in the Mormon faith. That alone should put a smile on your face and immediately make you a more positive person:

THE TOP TEN MOST SURPRISING 'MORMON TEACHINGS' ABOUT MORMON HEAVEN and AFTER-LIFE [Vanity]

Old 09-21-2015, 09:35 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I would be cautious in assuming they are doing anything "right" off the back of a single statistics like divorce rates. For example crime rates may be very low in North Korea. Does that mean they are doing something "right" in that country, or is the entire campaign of dictatorship, fear and terror the reason no one steps out of line?

The last I heard was that Mormonism practiced "shunning" with some regularity, which is a horrible thing to happen to anyone. Your entire circle of friends and family suddenly acting like you do not exist, you are beneath them, and not to be interacted with. There are many who would stay in a marraige without love, or even an abusive violent marriage, and stick it out, rather than end up in the "shunned".

So you might ask, in terms of divorce, what they are doing DIFFERENTLY, but I would not quickly assume up front that are doing something "right".

Old 09-21-2015, 09:53 AM

8,273 posts, read 8,664,411 times
The Mormons I know are just plain good people. I know that is anecdotal but that's the way it is with the ones I know.

They do lead a much healthier lifestyle. They know that family is important. They are responsible.

They are not the only religion that shun.

When you compare religions you can only compare the devout followers. I am sure the divorce rate is much lower for every religion if you only poll the devout.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
I would be cautious in assuming they are doing anything "right" off the back of a single statistics like divorce rates. For example crime rates may be very low in North Korea. Does that mean they are doing something "right" in that country, or is the entire campaign of dictatorship, fear and terror the reason no one steps out of line?

The last I heard was that Mormonism practiced "shunning" with some regularity, which is a horrible thing to happen to anyone. Your entire circle of friends and family suddenly acting like you do not exist, you are beneath them, and not to be interacted with. There are many who would stay in a marraige without love, or even an abusive violent marriage, and stick it out, rather than end up in the "shunned".

So you might ask, in terms of divorce, what they are doing DIFFERENTLY, but I would not quickly assume up front that are doing something "right".
If you want to see real shunning, albeit "unofficial" shunning just visit any well-off Christian mega-church where the wealthy elite members form cliques and "shun" any church members with clothing, bling, gross annual income, palatial estate, etc. that is below their clique's standards. Happened to me in nearly every church I visited before I dropped out completely.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:21 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
There is definitely a Mormon Glow. I think there are a variety of reasons: close families, community support system, strong faith, they abstain from alcohol and caffeine, and they're active. Plus they're tremendously self confident.

We play "Find the Mormons" at Disneyland. Mormons love Disneyland. If a line is 90 minutes we get in line behind the Mormon family. They'll be pleasant and the kids will be very well behaved. Plus, since Mormons love Disneyland, they expect the line to be 90 minutes and they aren't the people griping and whining about the long wait.

BTW, OP: Mormons ARE Christians.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-21-2015 at 10:35 AM..

Old 09-21-2015, 10:28 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The Mormons I know are just plain good people. I know that is anecdotal but that's the way it is with the ones I know.

They do lead a much healthier lifestyle. They know that family is important. They are responsible.

They are not the only religion that shun.

When you compare religions you can only compare the devout followers. I am sure the divorce rate is much lower for every religion if you only poll the devout.
Except in the bible belt, where divorce and adultery is significantly higher than in the 'heathen atheist' areas.

But then, hypocrites are that way.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Except in the bible belt, where divorce and adultery is significantly higher than in the 'heathen atheist' areas.

But then, hypocrites are that way.
That's called the "hypocrisy glow".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality