Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 05:45 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Because it's a states' rights issue. They do not have the authority to tell the states what marriage is.
Given that SSM is now legal in all 50 states, they obviously do have that authority. Constitutional legal arguments require more effort than just making up random statements and hoping no one will question the lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 06:54 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

Only because you contrive to feign offence at facts. I call a spade a spade and if you are insulted by facts then this is your failing not mine. The simply fact is that we have a law in place with regards refusing business, and you do whinge and whine and bleat when the law is applied, however correctly, to Christians. Because you have this entirely fantastical notion that "Freedom of Religion" constitutes grounds for demanding exemption from public laws. When it does not. And you get haughty and upset when you are denied this "Right" you imagine you should have.
I figured you would find some way to excuse your insulting. You claim that you do not insult, but saying that I am whining, moaning or bleating is quite insulting. At least own up to fact that you are not here to have a respectful discussion. You can easily make your point without resorting to condescending terminology. You are combative against anything I post and it gets really tiring. Freedom of religion should never be taken away because some new public law decides to tread onto that right. It's not a right that we "imagine".

Old 07-16-2015, 07:49 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I figured you would find some way to excuse your insulting. You claim that you do not insult, but saying that I am whining, moaning or bleating is quite insulting. At least own up to fact that you are not here to have a respectful discussion. You can easily make your point without resorting to condescending terminology. You are combative against anything I post and it gets really tiring. Freedom of religion should never be taken away because some new public law decides to tread onto that right. It's not a right that we "imagine".
"Freedom of religion should never be taken away because some new public law decides to tread onto that right"

What freedom of religion has been taken away by what law?

Can you still pray? Can you still attend worship services whenever you want? Is your church still tax-exempt? Can you still say grace before lunch at the local diner? Does your church still have a service notice in the Sunday newspaper? Is there still a sign in front of the church? Is somebody trying to restrict what you can believe?

Old 07-16-2015, 07:52 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
When are you going to stop ignoring what you are told to continue your tirade and rants against Christ. You are targeting the wrong person. It is not Christ you are against . . . it is the churches that misrepresented Him to you. Christ's teachings and example are unambiguous. Only the ignorant barbarity of our ancestors corrupted it with blood sacrifice nonsense, wrath and vengeance in an eternal hell, etc. Get a clue and stop ranting against the ignorant beliefs of the mainstream churches who are the anti-Christ apostates prophesied for these "latter days."You are being disingenuous because you constantly harp on and rail against what you claim you do not believe in. The very things you have been told are NOT true of Christ. You call it cherry-picking because you were taught them as a Christian and told that the Bible is inerrant and everything must be true . . . something you have also been told is NOT true. It seems, Freak, you have set yourself up to perpetually have something to complain about by insisting that what you are told is NOT true . . . MUST be true. Pretty stupid . . don't you think?? They are NOT what Jesus taught or demonstrated. You have been told this many times as well, Freak. The TEST of the Spirit is against the Spirit of agape love (who IS God). If it is not compatible with agape love it is NOT true and NOT of God or Jesus. Two things, Freak. Belief in God has nothing to do with politics and there is no such thing as the supernatural. Stop advocating atheism and then demanding that those who believe in God must also accept the nonsense in the Christian churches as truth. That is asinine!
I've got to say sir, you are definitely "out there."

We can discuss this more on another thread if you'd like. At this point I am off topic.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:31 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
"Freedom of religion should never be taken away because some new public law decides to tread onto that right"

What freedom of religion has been taken away by what law?

Can you still pray? Can you still attend worship services whenever you want? Is your church still tax-exempt? Can you still say grace before lunch at the local diner? Does your church still have a service notice in the Sunday newspaper? Is there still a sign in front of the church? Is somebody trying to restrict what you can believe?
Can we run a business without being forced by the government to perform actions against our moral beliefs? Can a Christian group on a college campus elect to not have gay leaders because that goes against their beliefs? We don't need extreme examples like you propose to see that freedom of religion is increasingly being limited. Here is a gay senator who boldly believes that it should never extend outside the church!

Quote:

Baldwin responded that the First Amendment gave Americans no right to exercise religion outside the sanctuary of their church, synagogue, or mosque.
Lesbian US Senator Says First Amendment Protects Free Exercise ONLY INSIDE of Churches, Synagogues and Mosques | Restoring Liberty

I find that pretty disturbing that someone who is a law maker holds such beliefs.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:36 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:

Jeff

The question to you regarding freedom of religion does that mean that a person can take whatever their religious beleifs are to whatever sphere of their life? In other words can a person use their religious beliefs in their service as a public servant, a judge, a store owner or a employee for a large corporation? Can a judge who beleives that women cannot drive is his religious belief suspend a woman's driver's licence over a single speeding ticket and can a licence clerk refuse to issue a woman a driver's licence based on his religious beliefs?If a person beleives that there is no such thing as pollution due to his beliefs and he is a dry cleaner can he release dry cleaning fluids into a water body?

Are you actually saying that freedom of religion should apply in all aspects of one's life?

Old 07-16-2015, 08:37 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Can we run a business without being forced by the government to perform actions against our moral beliefs? Can a Christian group on a college campus elect to not have gay leaders because that goes against their beliefs? We don't need extreme examples like you propose to see that freedom of religion is increasingly being limited. Here is a gay senator who boldly believes that it should never extend outside the church!

Lesbian US Senator Says First Amendment Protects Free Exercise ONLY INSIDE of Churches, Synagogues and Mosques | Restoring Liberty

I find that pretty disturbing that someone who is a law maker holds such beliefs.
Religions have no rights outside of the church, Mosque, synagogue, temple, or other religious building or the home.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:47 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:

From that article she is quoted as saying

“Certainly the First Amendment says that in institutions of faith that there is absolute power to, you know, to observe deeply held religious beliefs. But I don’t think it extends far beyond that,” she said.
Read more at Lesbian US Senator Says First Amendment Protects Free Exercise ONLY INSIDE of Churches, Synagogues and Mosques | Restoring Liberty

So she actually did not say that the first amendment protects free exercise only inside. And she never said it should never extend beyond the church if I take the words the article quoted as being her words.

It was explained to you before re the campus group is if they take money from the University they must follow the rules. Any club that is granted club or society status at a college or univeristy and takes funding from that univeristy or the university's student union must follow the rules and regulations that are set forth. If the club does not wish to follow the rules then it cannot accept the funds. Most places have non discriminatory clauses in the rules. The clown club cannot refuse to accept a person just because they are Christian if they wish to recieve funds.

The reason that people may get insulting to you is you keep repeating the same questions with the same examples and you keep getting people responding to you with full explainations which you refuse to even acknowledge instead repeat the question perhaps thinking that you will eventully not get answers and then can claim victory by stumping everyone.

Last edited by badlander; 07-16-2015 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: one wrong word deleted

Old 07-16-2015, 08:53 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Of course you do. Those durned minorities are getting uppity, demanding to be treated like everyone else. The nerve of those people!

Old 07-16-2015, 08:55 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Of course you do. Those durned minorities are getting uppity, demanding to be treated like everyone else. The nerve of those people!
I know. It all started when women wanted to be able to vote and drive. What a pain in the neck we are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality