Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 11:32 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Still haven't watched it yet, have you? He addressed it. He pointed out that science today believes is willing to suspend common sense in order to make their hypothesis work.
I haven't watched it either. I tried, but your link is dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 06:26 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I haven't watched it either. I tried, but your link is dead.
It worked for me. You're not missing much. I tried it a minute ago. It's five minutes of someone saying things you probably already know, or that you don't need to know.

Basically the narrator talks about how before the Big Bang Theory, science didn't tell that the universe had a beginning, and that the Big Bang happened because of the laws of nature, and so the laws of nature existed before the universe. He calls that God (Fine whatever. God can be a baked potato for all I care). Then he falls off the deep end and describes that as the Biblical God, in a mighty leap equivalent to the spoken version of attempting to jump to the moon using a trampoline.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:54 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
It worked for me. You're not missing much. I tried it a minute ago. It's five minutes of someone saying things you probably already know, or that you don't need to know.

Basically the narrator talks about how before the Big Bang Theory, science didn't tell that the universe had a beginning, and that the Big Bang happened because of the laws of nature, and so the laws of nature existed before the universe. He calls that God (Fine whatever. God can be a baked potato for all I care). Then he falls off the deep end and describes that as the Biblical God, in a mighty leap equivalent to the spoken version of attempting to jump to the moon using a trampoline.
You forgot that the entire beginning was talking about himself. Speaking of beginnings, anyone know of a creation story that would not have a beginning?

Old 07-23-2015, 08:37 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
You forgot that the entire beginning was talking about himself. Speaking of beginnings, anyone know of a creation story that would not have a beginning?
I would have preferred if he'd ditched the personal qualifications and replaced it with a larger explanation...and really, if everyone on the planet did the same thing.

The idea that God is the forces of nature that existed before the universe is nothing new, and yet people trumpet that as some wondrous revelation. Well done then. They're not 100% wrong so far. Whatever the universe came from seems to have a few characteristics of monotheistic gods.

However, saying that means a god exists is like saying: "I have feet. The Abominable Snowman has feet too. Therefore the Abominable Snowman exists."

Saying that means the God of the Bible exists is like saying: "I have feet. The Abominable Snowman has feet too. That means The Abominable Snowman exists, and he lives in Russia, and loves nothing more than a good Vodka, and the people who say he's in the Himalayas are dirty liars."

Now, maybe he has some greater explanation he hasn't gone into yet. He says he has more to say at some point during the second half of his speech...but why should anyone believe that anything more he has to say is valuable? Either he or the website his video is on has already seemed to have pulled a bait n' switch. Why wouldn't he just pull another? The video describes a way one definition of god exists...although, I don't know why that information would be valuable to anyone, unless they merely are searching for something with some godly characteristics to label god, because atheists could believe in that definition of god and still be atheists. Nowhere in that definition was sentience, or the ability to plan, or sense, or think, or create at will, or live, or have intentions, or experience.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:17 AM

1,422 posts, read 951,351 times
Vizio hasn't even discovered G()D yet and he now claims that science has. *dubious*

Old 07-25-2015, 11:03 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klambo View Post
Stephen Hawking says that the Universe doesn't require God to exist.
He doesn't say there CAN'T be a creator either.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:17 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
He doesn't say there CAN'T be a creator either.
Perhaps, but Hawking is showing how there doesn't need to be some sentient creator who fashioned the universe with specific intent. Deity-worshipers always insist that an intelligent creator (usually the god of their chosen religion) was necessary as the first cause. Hawking showed that, nope, that isn't necessarily true.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:04 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I watched the video.

A) "Science" has not discovered god. The presentation represents the opinion of one person, not the scientific community.

B) The statement "that is the Bible definition of god" is false. The Bible goes far beyond a simple creator to set things in motion. It goes on to describe an entity with specific characteristics, specific motivations, and a specific program for the humans it supposedly created.
That program would be self-improvement...

Old 07-28-2015, 06:14 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klambo View Post
Stephen Hawking says that the Universe doesn't require God to exist.

"The 'god' that Stephen Hawking is trying to debunk is not the creator God of the Abrahamic faiths who really is the ultimate explanation for why there is something rather than nothing," said Denis Alexander.
"Hawking's god is a god-of-the-gaps used to plug present gaps in our scientific knowledge.
"Science provides us with a wonderful narrative as to how [existence] may happen, but theology addresses the meaning of the narrative," said Alexander, director of The Faraday Institute for Science and Religion.
And Fraser Watts, an Anglican priest and Cambridge expert in the history of science, said that it's not the existence of the universe that proves the existence of God.
But, he said, "a creator God provides a reasonable and credible explanation of why there is a universe, and ... it is somewhat more likely that there is a God than that there is not. That view is not undermined by what Hawking has said." - http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=40515070

Old 07-28-2015, 06:29 AM

380 posts, read 201,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
"a creator God provides a reasonable and credible explanation of why there is a universe, and ... it is somewhat more likely that there is a God than that there is not. That view is not undermined by what Hawking has said." - http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=40515070
This view is just a view, nothing more than declaration that has never been demonstrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality