Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:58 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,928 times

Advertisements

In a now closed thread the following question was asked.

What is the concern of the atheist about the religious? Why do you care? Why not just live and let live?

Why do Christians feel that they not only have a duty to proselytize their beliefs, but an absolute right to do so, even in parts of the world where they clearly are not welcome? Why do Christians feel that they have a moral obligation to impose their particular views on morality, much of which is derived from ancient texts and ancient outdated beliefs and practices, on modern society by organizing into a political force for the imposition of those beliefs, and then cry out in shock and confused anger when they encounter push back? Christians expect to use their beliefs as the basis for establishing and imposing their views on social customs and standards, only to cry foul in shock and horror at the prospect of having Christian beliefs subjected to open scrutiny, disdain and even derision. Why do Christians feel that the world owes them a free pass? Those days are OVER. If Christians want to play on the world stage, then they have to expect to be exposed to worldly ideas opinions and facts which conflict with their own as a consequence. If it seems that Christian beliefs and claims often come up short when actually subjected to open scrutiny, then Christians may want to consider the possibility that there may be a reason for that. If believers in general don't want to receive push back for their beliefs, then they should keep their nonsense to themselves. If, on the other hand, they wish to shove their particular brand of nonsense down society's throat, then they should fully expect the same treatment in return and not cry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 12:01 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Christians, whether liberal or conservative, believe they have a special relationship with an infallible and omnipotent "Creator of the Universe." So they believe they have a special status over the rest of us.

It's a delusion that negativity affects everyone.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:17 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
I've never had a problem with religion so long as it's a personal thing. If an individual believes the Earth is 6,000 years old and everything that exists was made is 6 days, fine. I think that's an idiotic delusion that no sensible, free thinking person could possibly believe, but unless they offer up debate, I won't go into it. It's not my problem if people believe things that are absurd. But if there's an attempt to put these ideas into schools, government, or other public institutions where it blocks open mindedness, they've made it my problem.

This is the same view where I would say atheism shouldn't be promoted in schools or government. Schools should teach what's relevant to the subject being taught and government should focus on the basic governing. No religious laws for example; no privileged status for religious people over non religions people (or one religion over another). Science should teach science and scientific thinking. And yes, this means evolution should be taught and God not taught. They don't have to say God exists but pretending something without evidence has evidence is not ok.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Christians, whether liberal or conservative, believe they have a special relationship with an infallible and omnipotent "Creator of the Universe." So they believe they have a special status over the rest of us.

True enough. In which case Christians should easily prevail in every argument. What we witness instead however is much whining and crying of "foul" at the prospect of seeing Christian claims effectively undermined and exposed as fallacious and baseless nonsense. Is it out of line to declare an insupportable claim to be nonsense, when it clearly is nonsense? Or are the rest of us just supposed to stand by and take it?

Old 07-27-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I've never had a problem with religion so long as it's a personal thing. If an individual believes the Earth is 6,000 years old and everything that exists was made is 6 days, fine. I think that's an idiotic delusion that no sensible, free thinking person could possibly believe, but unless they offer up debate, I won't go into it. It's not my problem if people believe things that are absurd. But if there's an attempt to put these ideas into schools, government, or other public institutions where it blocks open mindedness, they've made it my problem.

This is the same view where I would say atheism shouldn't be promoted in schools or government. Schools should teach what's relevant to the subject being taught and government should focus on the basic governing. No religious laws for example; no privileged status for religious people over non religions people (or one religion over another). Science should teach science and scientific thinking. And yes, this means evolution should be taught and God not taught. They don't have to say God exists but pretending something without evidence has evidence is not ok.
All of what you say is true. But Christians take steps through force of numbers to have their religious view of the world declared to be science, which they then attempt to use to supplant genuine science. An ancient Earth and evolution are not atheistic claims. They are consensus science. Taking a stand on these issues is exactly why non believers are NOT out of line. If believers wish to impose their beliefs on the rest of us, THEN THEIR BELIEFS ARE FAIR GAME.

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 07-27-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 12:59 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:

They do? I know plenty of fundamentalist, hell-believing type Christians that seem to think that way. I've not interacted with any non-fundamentalist type Christians who give any indication that they assume their beliefs give them a special status over and above me or anyone else.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
They do? I know plenty of fundamentalist, hell-believing type Christians that seem to think that way. I've not interacted with any non-fundamentalist type Christians who give any indication that they assume their beliefs give them a special status over and above me or anyone else.
Even non fundamentalists believe that a corpse came back to life and then flew away, off up to heaven. And they believe that they, for accepting this story as factual based on nothing more than faith, will be taken up to heaven some day themselves. Certainly THAT imparts a special status on them. And many if not most Christians will openly declare that they have a personal relation with one or more invisible friends which is genuine rather than imaginary. Which makes each one of them certain that they, at least, are special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwqnqL3Hbg

Old 07-27-2015, 01:35 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Even non fundamentalists believe that a corpse came back to life and then flew away, off up to heaven. And they believe that they, for accepting this story as factual based on nothing more than faith, will be taken up to heaven some day themselves. Certainly THAT imparts a special status on them. And many if not most Christians will openly declare that they have a personal relation with one or more invisible friends which is genuine rather than imaginary. Which makes each one of them certain that they, at least, are special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwqnqL3Hbg

That's you making assumptions, firstly about what those non-fundamentalists believe, and secondly about how they perceive themselves in relation to those of us who do not share whatever their beliefs actually are.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:39 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:

In your opinion it is a delusion however, my beliefs have no affect on you at all.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:42 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Just as the extremists saying they represent Islam, the extremists claiming to represent Christianity go proselytizing for a GREATER REWARD from God in the here-after
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality