Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 08:07 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And her NEW job requirements demand that she violate her faith, not a personal hobby. What is a daz anyways?

Hiding behind legal arguments when the laws now favor your immoral beliefs is secularism and hypocrisy at its finest. You would be singing a different tune if the laws were throwing atheists in prison for their non-beliefs.
There are no NEW job requirements. Part of her job description before the ruling was to issue marriage licenses, it didn't change after the ruling.

If an atheist working for the government used their non belief to refuse doing their job, I would expect them to resign too. Same goes for Hindus, Buddhists, Wiccans, Muslims, Jews, and anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 08:24 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,378,034 times
Quote:
And her NEW job requirements demand that she violate her faith, not a personal hobby. What is a daz anyways?
So you are reducing yourself to pointing out typos now huh? I think it pretty clear I mistyped Day especially given I typed it at the end of a well known turn of phrase. It could not be more obvious, but that of course does not stop you from cheap shots.

No she has no "new job requirements" you are making that up. Part of her job was to process Marriages Licenses. She is refusing to do so. So she is not doing her job. She accepted a job where she is required to issue level government documents. There is nothing in such a document saying WHAT those documents are or will be in the future. So no, she does not get to get haughty and uppity because one of the documents her JOB DESCRIPTION demands she process, happens to push her buttons on a personal level.

And yes your religion is your personal hobby. And personal hobbies have no place in the workplace. You might want to elevate it in your own imagination above other hobbies. But a hobby it remains none the less. Keep what you do as part of your hobby private. Keep it out of the work place.

Quote:
Hiding behind legal arguments when the laws now favor your immoral beliefs is secularism and hypocrisy at its finest.
Hiding FROM legal arguments when the laws do not favor you and your beliefs is the hypocrisy actually. Because I, unlike you, respect the law regardless of whether it agrees with me or not. So the only one being hypocritical is you and your ilk cherry picking when you want to respect the application of the law, and when not.

Quote:
You would be singing a different tune if the laws were throwing atheists in prison for their non-beliefs.
You are free to imagine anything you want, but you are simply lying to yourself. You have no idea what I would do in such a situation, so you decide to simply make up what I would do to fit your narrative. I have however TOLD you before what I would do when I disagree with a law. I would respect it, follow it, but campaign through activism, education and democracy to have the law changed.

As usual however given the choice to comment on what I have said, and what you want to imagine I would say, you always choose the latter. Because you simply can never rebut the former.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:38 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

As usual however given the choice to comment on what I have said, and what you want to imagine I would say, you always choose the latter. Because you simply can never rebut the former.
Jeff pretty consistent in his dishonesty that way.

One would think that he almost got the pattern from some ancient book dealing with myths and imaginary things.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:39 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
It appears that Jeff simply enjoys being wrong. About pretty much everything.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:12 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
You only say this because you oppose Christianity and think it's stupid not to support SSM. Sorry, but a such a biased perspective can not fairly judge the situation.
But the judge was also a Christian and he does not support SSM. It is his job not yours or mine to judge whether a person broke a kaw. He judged she did and yet he gave you plenty of opportunities to allow others to grant the licenses so she did not have to. You are accusing a Christian of not following his religious beliefs instead of the law in the performance of his duties. Is not a judge in the legal system obliged to use law rather than his or your religious beliefs, she had the opportunity to allow others to grant the license but ordered her clerks to obey her religious beliefs rather than the law and you think her religious freedoms allow her to impose her beliefs on all. It is only because you are so adamantly opposed to SSM that you are lashing out at everyone who thinks the government is supposed to not discriminate. In a previous thread you limited religious rights to discriminate to business owners who provide non essential services but now you extend that right to the government. She was offered a compromise but demanded that only her religious beliefs to be followed in her county.

How can you be not biased with your countless posts opposing ssm. Many Christians do not oppose ssm but your bias discards them being Christian because their belief does not mirror yours.

They will come to get the pastors when the pastors become civil servants, not any time in the future.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:10 AM

874 posts, read 636,940 times
Quote:
You only say this because you oppose Christianity and think it's stupid not to support SSM. Sorry, but a such a biased perspective can not fairly judge the situation.
I'm a Christian and I think it is stupid not to support SSM.

You may have said the words (Lord Jesus Christ I accept you as my Lord and Savior). You may even have been dunked at some point. But, Jeff, you are a Christian in name only. You do not commune with God and He doesn't commune with you. You are not filled with the Holy Spirit. You are not following the teachings of Christ. If you were, you would be very different. We all could see God in your life, if He were there. You can protest all you want that you know God and that you follow Jesus, but you don't. You think you are doing God's work, but you haven't discussed it with God. If you had, God would have put peace and understanding in your heart. Communing with God is the most wonderful, glorious thing I have ever done. Once it happens to you, you will know it. You will not mistake it. Others can see it in you. It is powerful and life-changing. We don't see it in you, Jeff. We don't see God in you, Jeff. You have put blinders on and ear plugs, too. Your soul is so filled with the weeds of the Anti-Christ, they have strangled out the flowers of God.

I know you are feeling battered, bullied, and defensive. Now, it has just become you (and a small handful of others) against a multitude and you think you must defend your position. I am not asking you to embrace homosexuals or SSM. You don't have to like anybody you don't want to and you don't have to interact with anybody you don't want. I am asking you to take a deep breath, step away from your anger for a few minutes, and embrace God. Commune (that is a two way street) with God.

You have rejected God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit for the teachings, doctrine, and dogma of some church. You have put your faith in church, not in God. They are not the same thing. Today, many churches are the Anti-Christ and their members are no better. The Anti-Christ is very smart and has roped you into his fold. Give yourself back to God. The Bible tells us that God's light shines through us. Jeff, you do not have the light of God. Don't be a Christian in name only. God is waiting for you.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:32 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:
Do you have an actual point beside the tired old I lack education routine? It's not impressive in the least.
That's the only point that's needed to destroy most of your arguments, Jeff, and if you find that tiresome all I can say is - then educate yourself. If I were constantly getting into arguments with people who are better educated and better informed than I on the issues we are discussing, and they kept pointing out that my arguments are flawed because I have no idea what I'm talking about, and that made me uncomfortable, I'd make an effort to educate myself so that I wasn't wrong every time I opened my mouth. You can do the same if you wish, but you deliberately choose not to.

Jeff, you need to understand that when you're debating someone, your entire argument hangs on whether or not you know what you're talking about. You usually do not. Over and over again, you post complete nonsense and present it as absolute fact, and you just don't seem to know the difference between the two. Pointing that out is a legitimate counter to your position.

If this were the Science forum instead of the religious forum, and you were continually posting that the earth is flat, you'd be getting the same reactions from people, right? People would be tripping over themselves to point out that your argument is invalid because you have no idea what you're talking about and are just posting nonsense; why do you think it should be any different here? If you don't know what you're talking about, you don't know what you're talking about. If you don't us to notice that you're posting nonsense, or point out that you're posting nonsense, then stop posting nonsense.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:40 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
I'm a Christian and I think it is stupid not to support SSM.

You may have said the words (Lord Jesus Christ I accept you as my Lord and Savior). You may even have been dunked at some point. But, Jeff, you are a Christian in name only. You do not commune with God and He doesn't commune with you. You are not filled with the Holy Spirit. You are not following the teachings of Christ. If you were, you would be very different. We all could see God in your life, if He were there. You can protest all you want that you know God and that you follow Jesus, but you don't. You think you are doing God's work, but you haven't discussed it with God. If you had, God would have put peace and understanding in your heart. Communing with God is the most wonderful, glorious thing I have ever done. Once it happens to you, you will know it. You will not mistake it. Others can see it in you. It is powerful and life-changing. We don't see it in you, Jeff. We don't see God in you, Jeff. You have put blinders on and ear plugs, too. Your soul is so filled with the weeds of the Anti-Christ, they have strangled out the flowers of God.

I know you are feeling battered, bullied, and defensive. Now, it has just become you (and a small handful of others) against a multitude and you think you must defend your position. I am not asking you to embrace homosexuals or SSM. You don't have to like anybody you don't want to and you don't have to interact with anybody you don't want. I am asking you to take a deep breath, step away from your anger for a few minutes, and embrace God. Commune (that is a two way street) with God.

You have rejected God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit for the teachings, doctrine, and dogma of some church. You have put your faith in church, not in God. They are not the same thing. Today, many churches are the Anti-Christ and their members are no better. The Anti-Christ is very smart and has roped you into his fold. Give yourself back to God. The Bible tells us that God's light shines through us. Jeff, you do not have the light of God. Don't be a Christian in name only. God is waiting for you.
Jeff, this is a post that could change your life. I urge you to read it and think about what Ella is saying. Anger destroys. Fundamentalist beliefs fill people with anger. This is the way out of that anger.

(Awesome post, Ella. )

Old 09-07-2015, 10:45 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:
New or not new, if her current job requirements violate her sincerely held superstitious nonsense, then I'm sure City Hall has a big door in the front -- and she would be free to resign and make use of that door. People do it all the time in the private sector. People quit jobs for all kinds of reasons. Only self-righteous narcissists would expect the whole world to revolve around her beliefs; the government, the courts, and all of the same-sex couples will just have to deal with her fanaticism. Like I said: people quit jobs all the time when they no longer like what they do. The only reason why she wasn't resigning is because she wanted to deliberately act as a barrier between gays and their right to marry. In her mind, religion isn't a personal choice. It is the foundation of her fascism whereby everyone, regardless of their beliefs, must obey HER interpretation of the Bible.

Quote:
Hiding behind legal arguments when the laws now favor your immoral beliefs is secularism and hypocrisy at its finest. You would be singing a different tune if the laws were throwing atheists in prison for their non-beliefs.
Now this is just stupid. In fact, I hope you walked around all day wishing you hadn't said this and hoping God would strike down City-Data with a temporary server issue causing your post to be miraculously deleted just to avoid the shame in having written it.

Why, might you ask?

Because when someone demonstrates their own hypocrisy while calling others hypocrites, well, that's pretty moronic, don't you think? I'm sure everyone else does.

We ALL know, each and every one of us knows that any law that would restrict people like you from oppressing others with their primitive fear-based paranoid interpretation of their religion would cause people like you to scream "persecution!" from every rooftop and every mountain peak.

Would we be singing a different tune if atheists were being tossed into prison for their beliefs? Well, no duh, Jeff. We would have every reason to be upset, every reason to sing that different tune. Even ignoring all of the legal and Constitutional issues regarding jailing people for their religious views, being thrown into prison DIRECTLY affects atheists and their lives. Gays getting married doesn't affect you AT ALL. You're just sobbing in your foamy mug of beer because you can't "practice your religion" by oppressing others and throwing a wide net of tyranny over the entire population.

We all know, each and every one of us knows that if the courts had upheld the gay marriage bans or the judge in question allowed the clerk to continue denying SSM licenses, you would be enamored of the law. You would probably have little hearts in your eyes every time you looked at a courthouse. You would probably start dotting your 'i's' with little hearts. Moreover, you would be making many of the EXACT same arguments against us as we are now making against you. Yeah, the same arguments you are claiming are not valid.

See, the thing is, I have a long memory. People absolutely HATE my memory, sometimes. It's often very inconvenient. So, when the time comes when the courts favor some issue that you endorse and we oppose, I'm going to remember this debate and remind you that, nope ... all of those arguments you're making in support of the courts are invalid. I'll remind you that they're not invalid because WE say so. They're invalid because YOU said so in this very conversation.

Hypocrisy severely diminishes the number of arguments you can actually make. You DO understand that, right? By disagreeing with us on THIS issue means that you would almost certainly have to disagree even if the shoe were on the other foot. Even if the outcome was in your favor (which it might be when the next controversy arises), you'd still have to disagree with it. Otherwise, you're just flying the flag of hypocrisy from the highest pole.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:56 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Bible teaches a lot of fuguly things, we do not have to believe them...
Oh, I don't.

But when people who do believe the Bible embrace those teachings, we shouldn't be surprised. That is what it says. All through the Bible, it is quite plain that females are second class people. You can even rape them as long as you buy them afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality