Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 12:57 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
He is acting like the three monkeys whenever that truth is explained to him. The idea that she was NOT jailed for her religious beliefs but for her contempt of court because she refused to do her job is just evil to Jeff. He refuses to hear it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And the only reason she was contempt of court is because of her religious beliefs. She was forced into this position.
For example, what if there is a new court ruling that says I must be branded with 666 and renounce my Christian beliefs and I refuse. Am I jailed for contempt of court or being punished for my religious beliefs? It is clearly the latter.
The reason you break the law is irrelevant. Breaking the law is what she was jailed for. She is the one FORCING her beliefs on the couples wanting to get married! Stop pretending she is being forced. Her JOB requires that she issue marriage licenses. They want marriage licenses. She refuses to issue them. SHE is forcing . . . not being forced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 01:11 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
The reason you break the law is irrelevant. Breaking the law is what she was jailed for. She is the one FORCING her beliefs on the couples wanting to get married! Stop pretending she is being forced. Her JOB requires that she issue marriage licenses. They want marriage licenses. She refuses to issue them. SHE is forcing . . . not being forced.
No the couple is FORCING THEIR BELIEFS on her. What part of that do you not get? They are part of the group who came along and demanded that society change our long held traditional beliefs. They can get licenses elsewhere. Not good enough for them. Everyone must submit. Just like Communism.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:12 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
No the couple is FORCING THEIR BELIEFS on her. What part of that do you not get? They are part of the group who came along and demanded that society change our long held traditional beliefs. They can get licenses elsewhere. Not good enough for them. Everyone must submit. Just like Communism.
LOL!

Old 09-13-2015, 01:13 PM

19,992 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Jeff has way too much ego invested in Being Right, and it's reinforced by a belief system that's unconcerned with doing the Right Thing (in human, compassionate terms) while being in favor of believing the Right Thing (as defined by his belief system rather than by facts on the ground).

Beyond a certain point, all sides have made their points and drawn their lines.

Good ol' southern boys still exist who won't admit that it was wrong to segregate "nigrahs", and they will maintain it to their fast-approaching dying breaths. But their grandchildren are coming of age now and wondering what all the fuss is / was. Who cares about the confederate flag and what's wrong with black people??

The same fate awaits Jeff. If he has children, he will only be partially successful in inculcating the same prejudices in them, and so on, until at most 2 or 3 generations from now, his descendants will be reduced to quixotic fights about some other topic they are trying to hold the line on, but will not bother at all with SSM.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I am pro-everybody. You demonstrate your ignorance of the fact that what God wants from us applies to each of us individually, period. You have no responsibility to concern yourself with what others DO or DO NOT DO! That is entirely between God and each of us. Our primitive meddling ancestors wanted to control others and decided that they should be allowed to. They were wrong . . . because what we do MUST be voluntary and not the result of anything anyone else does or does not do. YOU are not required to accept ANYTHING about SSM, but our businesses and government ARE.You are free to consider it an abomination and evil and not a real marriage according to your religion . . . or whatever else you want to think about it. What you can NOT do if you are in business or government is discriminate and mistreat or fail to serve them or fail to acknowledge the SOCIETAL validity of their marriage.
You certainly don't seem pro-Bible believing Christians. If I held Kim Davis position, I would be required to sign and endorse an immoral wedding. Would I want to stand before God some day and explain why I gave people a license to sin and possible eternal destruction? I will respect God's laws over men. You should to if you claim to be a Christian.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
More hyperbolic childishness.
More empty pointless responses.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:25 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
More empty pointless responses.
Ah...poor Jeff.

Nobody is impressed by your tantrums and whining.

Try harder.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:25 PM

19,992 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Such a special snowflake you are ...

If it's any comfort, extreme liberals are just as fragile as you. My wife is in communications and produced a graphic that was a little too edgy and hip for some old hippie's taste and that person said it offended her. Wouldn't say how, just that it did. As usual with such objections it was at the 11th hour and would have required a complete redo just to salve the tender feelings of one person in the organization. The demand was declined and they stomped off in a huff.

With her, as with you, no one else cared. Life went on. Because no one ever gets everything they want in a secular republic. The more your beliefs aren't shared by most the less often you get your way.

There's nothing wrong of course with being in the minority, attempting to create ideological ghettoes and circling the wagons. If you really believe in your convictions, then you will pay whatever price you have to, to maintain them ... including quitting your job when you can't in good conscience do the work required of you.

Kim Davis just doesn't want to let go of her gravy train job that her mother had before her and that she planned to bequeath upon her son. Her integrity and the courage of her convictions don't extend so far as keeping her oath of office.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:32 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
I don't care about your confidence. You demonstrate again and again that you are ignorant about God's Word. The only reason you are singing this tune is because you are extremely pro-gay. Secular society should not free to demand that religious people yield and accept their beliefs and that is what is happening here. The belief that SSM is just as normal and equal as traditional marriage so religious people in office are forced to sign off on them. Furthermore, we are being asked to yield to a ruling by a court, not a legislative body:

Persecution Of Kim Davis Reminds Me Of Communist Russia

Now I'm starting to understand why atheists are so passionately vocal and defensive of homosexuality. It is the vehicle by which they can achieve the goal of destroying Christianity in America. Is that what you want to? Think about it. The moral landscape of America changed over night because of one justice's opinion.
Your article was written by another person who is as ignorant about the Bible as are you. He ends by stating in so many words that we are becoming like the communists--the bugaboo of right wing religionists prior to picking on homosexuals.

So why did the early christians INSIST on communism?
Quote:
And all those who had believed were together and had all things in common; and they began selling their property and possessions and were sharing them with all, as anyone might have need.…
Acts 2:44-45
Quote:
And the congregation of those who believed were of one heart and soul; and not one of them claimed that anything belonging to him was his own, but all things were common property to them.
Acts 4:32

IF you believed the Bible "literally," you would embrace communism.

You can't be a Christ follower because you refuse to believe Jesus' message about going the extra mile even when the law is against your beliefs.

You can't be a Christ follower because you refuse to accept the teaching of the early disciples that every thing should be held in common.

You can't be a Christ follower because you prefer to exasperate rather than evangelize, to insult rather than inspire.

No one WANTS to be part of the kind of religion you call for---just the opposite of the people who flocked to Jesus because of what He had to say.

You are like the young ruler who turned away in sadness because you are unwilling to give up that which has polluted your soul. Yet the great message from Jesus is that He loves you every bit as much as any homosexual--at least I think so, and you'd better hope so.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:42 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
You certainly don't seem pro-Bible believing Christians. If I held Kim Davis position, I would be required to sign and endorse an immoral wedding. Would I want to stand before God some day and explain why I gave people a license to sin and possible eternal destruction? I will respect God's laws over men. You should to if you claim to be a Christian.
So why did Jesus teach us to follow "unjust" laws? His lesson was, "Don't call it unjust--practice it beyond what the law requires."

Search wherever you will for a single sound argument against this principle and you will not find it, nor will you find a single instance of enduring success, spiritual or secular, which was not attained in part by its application. It is obvious that every living creature below the intelligence of man is forced to apply this principle in order to survive.

There is another benefit to be gained by the person who follows the habit of going the extra mile: It keeps him/her on good terms with his own conscience and serves as a stimulant to his own soul! It is a builder of sound character, which has no equal in any other human habit.

In our marriages, in raising our children, in dealing with each other, and in interacting with those outside our fellowship, we should be doing all we can to go that extra mile. By doing so, one reflects the higher standards of God's law, the standard of truly loving God and each other. This attitude takes us far beyond the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees.

But neither you nor Ms. Davis practice that principle. And that's why neither of you are confused with Christ followers---and why you literally do not believe the Bible at all. "Lord, lord, when did we see you hungry, or naked, or in prison?" That's what you will be saying to the Judge.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 09-13-2015 at 02:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality