Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 10:53 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,649,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
We do believe that presently the methodology of performing Islam is to follow
the 5 Pillars of Islam. In the past there were other means to do so. The Jews
all submitted to God(swt) and therefore performed Islam as also did the Sabeeans
and Christians and even people we are not aware of.

But even the 5 pillars of Islam are not much different from what was done in the past. Simply
updated to include the final revelations. But we today are no more nor no less
Muslims than Adam was.
According the above, Jews, Christians, Sabeans submitted to God, therefore they perform Islam and thus are Muslims.
Adam submitted to God, therefore he was the first Muslim man.

Do Jews and Christians agree with the above claims?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 11:02 PM

248 posts, read 175,449 times
Islam is an offshot of the Hebrew culture.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:08 PM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
According the above, Jews, Christians, Sabeans submitted to God, therefore they perform Islam and thus are Muslims.

No. I absolutely disagree.

it is acceptable to say "we are all children of God" or "we are all beloved children of the Creator"
I am Jewish; to be labelled Muslim is offensive, arrogant, ugly, and disrespectful to an extreme degree to me as a Jew
it is incorrect, dishonest, deceptive, and insulting. it is condescending and patronizing and degrading.

it is the year 5776 in the Jewish calendar
it is the year 2015 in the secular calendar
it is the year 1436 in the Islam calendar

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 10-08-2015 at 11:29 PM..

Old 10-09-2015, 06:05 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
Adam was created around 5776 years ago .....Jesus Christ was born around 2015 years ago and take the history and Holy Spirit from the Jewish faith ,...... Islam was made around 1436 years ago ....... Islam borrows the history of the Jews and some history and prophecies of Christianity and makes their ideas for their morals of faith ... then Jewish say we are the only people saved , and Jesus says His followers are the only one saved and Islam say that they are the only one saved ...... Only the true God knows for sure ....

Old 10-09-2015, 06:31 PM

22,210 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Adam was created around 5776 years ago .....Jesus Christ was born around 2015 years ago and take the history and Holy Spirit from the Jewish faith ,...... Islam was made around 1436 years ago ....... Islam borrows the history of the Jews and some history and prophecies of Christianity and makes their ideas for their morals of faith ... then Jewish say we are the only people saved , and Jesus says His followers are the only one saved and Islam say that they are the only one saved ...... Only the true God knows for sure ....
that is incorrect, Judaism recognizes other religions as a valid path to God, and that God is accesible to everyone, regardless of religion.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:32 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times
Quote:

My full comment was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
adding to your post and supporting your correct answer

The first Muslim will be the First person who performed Islam.

Islam is a verb meaning "Submission to God(swt)"

Muslim is a person who performs Islam.

It is an error to assume Islam is the name of a religion. It is an action, not an organization.

We do believe that presently the methodology of performing Islam is to follow the 5 Pillars of Islam. In the past there were other means to do so. The Jews all submitted to God(swt) and therefore performed Islam as also did the Sabeeans and Christians and even people we are not aware of.

But even the 5 pillars of Islam are not much different from what was done in the past. Simply updated to include the final revelations. But we today are no more nor no less Muslims than Adam was.

If the Qur'an meant Muhammad(saws) was the first person to perform the act of Islam. The words Muslim and Islam would have needed to be explained.

If one reads the Bible in Aramaic ( very similar to Arabic, but written with Hebrew letters) you will find Muslim. For example here in Luke 6:40

"Ein talmeed na'leh 'al rabbo; shekken kal adam she'MUSHLAM yihyeh k'rabbo."

Jesus using the word "Muslim" in Luke 6:40

I am quite certain the Bible was written before the Qur'an was written and there were Muslims before Muhammad(saws)

Muslim in Hebrew is מוסלמי and predates the Qur'an

As many of the people to hear the Qur'an were Christians or Jews, there is no way they would have understood Muhammad(saws) as being the first Muslim in the chronological sense.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:37 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,164,035 times
Adam had no religion. His religion was himself... hence, the fall.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:38 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:

Nope. Adam was the first Mormon.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:24 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Nope. Adam was the first Mormon.

I have no issue with that. If he submitted to God(swt) he was a Muslim. Makes no difference what religion he followed.

I am quite certain many Jews, Sabeeans and Christians (For the unknowing-Mormons are Christians) submitted to God(swt) therefore performed the action of Islam

Islam is a De'en not a religion, at least not in the English definition of religion.

Although De'en is often translated to English as Religioj it is not an accurate translation.

Here is a very good explanation of De'en also spelled Din

Quote:
It has been said that the word Dīn appears in as many as 79 verses in the Qur'an,[4] but because there is no exact English translation of the term its precise definition has been the subject of some misunderstanding and disagreement. For instance, the term is often translated in parts of the Qur'an as "religion".[5] However, in the Qur'an itself, the act of submission to God is always referred to as Dīn, rather than as Madhhab (مذهب), which is the Arabic word for "religion"[citation needed].
Some Qur'anic scholars have translated Dīn in places as "faith"[6] Others suggest that the term "has been used in various forms and meanings, e.g., system, power, supremacy, ascendancy, sovereignty or lordship, dominion, law, constitution, mastery, government, realm, decision, definite outcome, reward and punishment. On the other hand, this word is also used in the sense of obedience, submission and allegiance".[7]
In addition to the two broad usages referred to so far - of sovereignty on the one hand and submission on the other - others have noted[8] that the term Dīn is also widely used in translations of the Qur'an in a third sense. Most famously in its opening chapter, al-Fātiḥah, the term is translated in almost all English translations as "judgment":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C4%ABn
Although Madhab is not the same as the English word Religion, it is quite close

My De'en is Islam. I perform Islam by adhering to the Hanafi Madhab to the best of my understanding.

Another way of explaining it is I am a Muslim, because I do Islam --submit to God(swt). the closest thing to a religion I follow is the Hanafi Madhab.

Many Jews and Muslims in the past did the act of Islam and were Muslim. The religion they followed was Judaism or Christianity.

There are very many Madhabs. Or divisions

Salafi
Wahhabi
Jafari'i
Maliki
Hanbli
Shafi'i
hanafi
Ismaili
Sufi
Ahmmadyya
etc

Each of which claims to perform Islam and therefore call them self Muslim

Old 10-09-2015, 11:00 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,649,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I am Jewish; to be labelled Muslim is offensive, arrogant, ugly, and disrespectful to an extreme degree to me as a Jew
it is incorrect, dishonest, deceptive, and insulting. it is condescending and patronizing and degrading.
I agree with the above.

It is as good as;
all humans breathe,
A Muslim breathe
Therefore all humans are Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality