Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 11:13 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,977,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why are the most relgious parts of the world the less developed?
Because their people are the least educated and thus most naïve and most susceptible to brainwashing, which is why Benny Hinn only works Africa these days.

Why do you think Christian fundamentalism in this nation is strongest in the poor areas of the South and Appalachia? Companion question: why are the inhabitants of the poor areas of the South and Appalachia the least educated and the most Christian fundamentalist in the nation?

This is not rocket science. The less educated you are the more apt you are to fall for woo.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 09-23-2015 at 11:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 11:34 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,997,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Because their people are the least educated and thus most naïve and most susceptible to brainwashing, which is why Benny Hinn only works Africa these days.

Why do you think Christian fundamentalism in this nation is strongest in the poor areas of the South and Appalachia? Companion question: why are the inhabitants of the poor areas of the South and Appalachia the least educated and the most Christian fundamentalist in the nation?

This is not rocket science. The less educated you are the more apt you are to fall for woo.
Yet at the same time so many well educated people believe in astrology and there been a huge growth in neo pagan religions. But I bet you will not say that people that believe in astrology and neo pagan religions such as Wicca are less educated.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:55 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,824,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Israel is a modern country. it's also war-torn, thanks to disputes between Jewish, Christians, and Muslim.

Israel is not war-torn no matter what Palestinian media portrays in their narrow field photos.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:17 AM

18,255 posts, read 16,977,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Yet at the same time so many well educated people believe in astrology and there been a huge growth in neo pagan religions. But I bet you will not say that people that believe in astrology and neo pagan religions such as Wicca are less educated.
Here's what I would say about astrology: the vast majority of people, at least in America, look upon it more as an activity to have fun with rather than a set of rigid beliefs upon which to base their salvation. Most just read the daily horoscope and joke about it with their friends ("Hey, my horoscope for today says I'm going to win the lottery. Everybody in the office gets a free Caribbean getaway!).

Wiccans do not believe in a god who will send them to a fiery hell for eternity merely for not having a mind belief. Neither do they really believe that casting spells will produce an outcome the way Christians, Muslims and other faiths believe prayers will be granted them. Why Wiccans perform rituals to no effect is as great a mystery to me as Christians who pray for a cure for their cancer-ridden child, believing the god of the Bible will hear them and cure their child. A good percentage of them lose their belief in God when their child dies. For many others their faith is shaken and they go through life as half-hearted Christians, going through the motions but not really believing in God deep in their hearts anymore. A small percentage don't have their faith touched at all. They figure it was God's will their child die. They do not make the connection between Jesus breaking his promise in the gospels ("My Father will give you anything you ask for if you pray in my name") and the efficacy of their faith. It's a psychological disconnect, like a coping mechanism ("I can't let the fact Jesus failed me threaten my own salvation). For Wiccans who perform rituals believing they will have an outcome, the percentage of individuals engaging in such behaviors is so low as to not even produce a blip on the radar. I think most just give Wiccan up after a while.

When my cousin died of cancer a few years ago, she prayed and prayed and had her church pray over her, laying hands on, tongues--the whole nine yards. When that didn't work she entered a clinical trial but had to drop out because the side effects were too severe. When she accepted her fate and waited for the end, I asked her, "Why didn't God answer your prayers" she replied "God always answers prayers. Sometimes it's just not the answer you want to hear." A tremendous rationalization to my mind, but I didn't say anything. Her Christian faith was the most important thing to her and I didn't want to disturb that in the face of tragedy. She was only 52.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:53 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,220,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Why are the most relgious parts of the world the less developed? Yes, it's rhetorical..
Because the US, Britain and France interfered with the development of those States, choosing to plunder their wealth and resources instead of helping them develop.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:59 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,345,104 times
A Gallup survey in 2015 determined that 65 percent of Israelis say they are either "not religious" or "convinced atheists", while 30 percent say they are "religious". Israel is in the middle of the international religiosity scale, between Thailand, the world's most religious country, and China, the least religious.[SIZE=2][7][/SIZE]
As of 2009[SIZE=2][update][/SIZE], 8% of Israeli Jews defined themselves as Haredim; an additional 12% as "religious"; 13% as "religious-traditionalists" ; 25% as "non-religious-traditionalists" (not strictly adhering to Jewish law or halakha); and 42% as "secular" (Hebrew: [SIZE=5]חִלּוֹנִי[/SIZE], Hiloni).[SIZE=2][8][/SIZE] As of 1999[SIZE=2][update][/SIZE], 65% of Israeli Jews believe in God,[SIZE=2][9][/SIZE] and 85% participate in a Passover seder.[SIZE=2][[/SIZE]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Israel

I think it is more likely that less developed countries are more religious than more religious countries are less developed as far as cause and effect may be.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:35 PM

27,722 posts, read 16,223,264 times
77% of Americans claim to be Christians... I would dare say the USA is perhaps the most developed nation on Earth.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:34 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,106,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Israel is not war-torn no matter what Palestinian media portrays in their narrow field photos.
Ain't it amazing the things people will believe because the tv said so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality