Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 11:13 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,935,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
More lies by you. We've been down this road before. You know you are wrong...but it bothers you sooooooo much, due to your ultra bias & prejudice toward religion and religious people, you just can't handle it.

In The Land Of Mao, A Rising Tide Of Christianity Among Chinese : NPR
Direct quote from your link:

No one knows exactly how many Christians there are among China's population of 1.3 billion.

I never said anything that there is NO rise, just question non-peer reviewed opinion.

BTW, if I quote peer reviewed and published articles, and reference them, how is that lying?

HOW IS THAT LYING?

A useful link, with credibility, and it includes this from your referenced article:

•The largest non-religious population in the world is in China, and North Korea is the most non-religious country by percentage.

There is little indication that it will change, even if there is a growth in religious groups in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 11:53 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,662,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Direct quote from your link:

No one knows exactly how many Christians there are among China's population of 1.3 billion.

I never said anything that there is NO rise, just question non-peer reviewed opinion.

BTW, if I quote peer reviewed and published articles, and reference them, how is that lying?

HOW IS THAT LYING?

A useful link, with credibility, and it includes this from your referenced article:

•The largest non-religious population in the world is in China, and North Korea is the most non-religious country by percentage.

There is little indication that it will change, even if there is a growth in religious groups in China.
You still put up thread after thread trying to skew the truth about the embrace of religion in this world by only putting up stuff that takes in only 5% of the world population.

I know some would like to believe religion has waned recently, because that is what they would prefer. Truth be told, I'd prefer that too. BUT...that just isn't the way it REALLY is.
Religion has lost some ground, in a few places...and again, IMO that's a good thing because even though I take no issue with anothers embrace of some religion I'd still prefer it didn't exist at all. And I'm NOT going to fool myself. It's gaining more in other places (like China) than the amount it is losing in others. In fact...if China gets a big "religion bug" (and that's the way it's looking)...it will be a bigtime net gain for religion on a worldwide basis in the near future and for some time to come.
But you are so deluded you don't even get that your noting the large percentage of the China population that is still nonreligious works against you, not for you! Because it leaves the good possibility of hundreds of millions of converts!

Anyone can say whatever they want...BUT...the REAL DEAL...at least for quite the foreseeable future: The only REAL threat to religion is a big asteroid hitting and wiping man from the face of the earth. Otherwise, it will continue to dominate like it has for thousands of years. And now that China...with a full 20% of the world population...has started to jump on religion bandwagon...it will become stronger than it's ever been.

Anyone that doesn't like that? Better stock up on Kleenex to sop up your tears, cuz you won't change it. MOF the more you fight it, the stronger it will get. Religion based organizations and religious people take great exception to being challenged, and it just strengthens their resolve.
If anyone thinks they can actually do something about that: I suggest finding the next F5 tornado...stand directly in its path, and throw punches at it to stop it--You'll get further and accomplish much more doing that than you will trying to stop religion or its embrace by the vaaaaaaast majority of people.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:29 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,389,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You still put up thread after thread trying to skew the truth about the embrace of religion in this world by only putting up stuff that takes in only 5% of the world population.

I know some would like to believe religion has waned recently, because that is what they would prefer. Truth be told, I'd prefer that too. BUT...that just isn't the way it REALLY is.
Religion has lost some ground, in a few places...and again, IMO that's a good thing because even though I take no issue with anothers embrace of some religion I'd still prefer it didn't exist at all. And I'm NOT going to fool myself. It's gaining more in other places (like China) than the amount it is losing in others. In fact...if China gets a big "religion bug" (and that's the way it's looking)...it will be a bigtime net gain for religion on a worldwide basis in the near future and for some time to come.
But you are so deluded you don't even get that your noting the large percentage of the China population that is still nonreligious works against you, not for you! Because it leaves the good possibility of hundreds of millions of converts!

Anyone can say whatever they want...BUT...the REAL DEAL...at least for quite the foreseeable future: The only REAL threat to religion is a big asteroid hitting and wiping man from the face of the earth. Otherwise, it will continue to dominate like it has for thousands of years. And now that China...with a full 20% of the world population...has started to jump on religion bandwagon...it will become stronger than it's ever been.

Anyone that doesn't like that? Better stock up on Kleenex to sop up your tears, cuz you won't change it. MOF the more you fight it, the stronger it will get. Religion based organizations and religious people take great exception to being challenged, and it just strengthens their resolve.
If anyone thinks they can actually do something about that: I suggest finding the next F5 tornado...stand directly in its path, and throw punches at it to stop it--You'll get further and accomplish much more doing that than you will trying to stop religion or its embrace by the vaaaaaaast majority of people.
Yes, religion is gaining, in some places. Those places are ignorant, backwater, uneducated type places. Have you ever been to China? It is a cesspool. Same for the Middle East. That seems to be a trend with religious areas, no? People who have no hope look for it anywhere they can find it. Most look to religion. It is much easier to think you have a reward at the end of life, than to think you live in hell then die.

For someone who repeatedly says they are not religious, you sure do fight for religion. Every argument I have personally seen you on, you are agreeing with the religious. Frankly, it's quite weird.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:53 AM

16,708 posts, read 15,709,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Yes, religion is gaining, in some places. Those places are ignorant, backwater, uneducated type places. Have you ever been to China? It is a cesspool. Same for the Middle East. That seems to be a trend with religious areas, no? People who have no hope look for it anywhere they can find it. Most look to religion. It is much easier to think you have a reward at the end of life, than to think you live in hell then die.

For someone who repeatedly says they are not religious, you sure do fight for religion. Every argument I have personally seen you on, you are agreeing with the religious. Frankly, it's quite weird.
Anybody that clicked on the link and read the article would know that it represents surveys taken in America about Americans and has nothing to do with China or the Middle East, or India, or Korea, or anywhere besides the US. It indicates that, over time, over many surveys, using a large sample size, religion in America is and has been in a long decline.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:49 AM

10,095 posts, read 5,746,443 times
Quote:
Correction, "fundamentalist Christianity" gets attacked. It gets attacked most because here in North America, it is the most prevalent.

Why would I/you/we expect anyone, including the religious, to admit they aren't happy? That goes for everyone Jeff, not just people you hate.
No, when I see posts like The Bible or God is barbaric, God is a fairy tale and celebrating the destruction of faith, that is an attack on Christianity as a whole.

We don't feel the need to present a false reality. I'll easily admit that my life is far from roses and flowers, but I'm thankful that I have God to help me through the tough times.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Go ask Woodrow Li if I only have attacked Christianity. If lambasted Muslim beliefs also, albeit, but indepth knowledge of the Christian history and background is better, and I can argue it on a much deeper and intellectual level.

Personally, I think all religion is woo, and I've told you that before, so quit pretending it is only your sensibilities that are 'attacked'. You are dishonest, and keep proving it. Which is starting to be a stereotype of fundamentalists... dishonesty. It does not look good when you do that.
I call it as a I see and it's obvious to most level headed people that this forum is vastly anti-Christian and you are a major contribution of that trend. Just look at the current negative threads on the front page here:

Death Of 185,000 Assyrian Troops Cannot Be Explained Historically

The Bible--barbaric.

Bible contradiction: Mattew 5:17-18 versus Hebrew 8 (priest, gospels, quote, faith)

Unlike Kim Davis, Pope had a PRIVATE meeting with Same Sex Couple (Multi-page thread 1 2)

OK 10 Commandments to disappear (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)

I like the story of Jesus, but I just don't believe it (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last Page)

The NT gospels are full of lies. (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last Page)

Sweet Cakes raised $500K; refuse to pay lesbian couple

Old 10-06-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I hope you are not referring to yourself in that example, jeff. If you are, it explains a lot. This life is comprised entirely of what is going on in our minds in relation to it. That is also what God is concerned with, NOT the physical aspects. Our lives are what our thoughts make them, jeff, and we are what our thoughts make us. Whatever we think is "unclean," is "unclean" for us . . . vice versa.
Are you celebrating the decline of religion?

Old 10-06-2015, 07:19 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,389,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Anybody that clicked on the link and read the article would know that it represents surveys taken in America about Americans and has nothing to do with China or the Middle East, or India, or Korea, or anywhere besides the US. It indicates that, over time, over many surveys, using a large sample size, religion in America is and has been in a long decline.
Yes, but Gldn seems to want to move the goalposts to include the entire world. This thread is not about the entire world, but America. Frankly, I don't care if religion is gaining in China. It has no bearing on my daily life. The fact remains however, that the most educated countries in the world are moving away from religion. The US included. The less educated, 3rd world countries are moving towards it. All this proves, is that desperate people will look to religion when they have nothing else.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't describe South Korea as a cesspool. It's quite modern. And like 30% of the population are Christians.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:10 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,662,615 times
Quote:

I post that I feel the world would be better off without religion, and that is what I would prefer...and you interpret that as, "agreeing with" it and "fighting for" it!? THAT is what I find weird.
I take exception to any bias or prejudice....and the only thing I hate is "hate".
What would you think of people that go to a website titled for any other type of people...race, ethnicity, or some common identifying characteristic...and pointing to surveys that note a decline in the number of those people in some area and shouting, "HOORAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!"? Then put up posts insulting and mocking them, both in general and individually.
Imagine going to a website that has a board for "Asian Culture and Traditions"...and put up THOUSANDS of posts, over the course of YEARS mocking and insulting Asian culture and traditions on that website. What would you think of that?
This board is "Religion and Spirituality" (formerly, Religion & Philosophy). I came here off a link on a random search. I'd never participated in any internet board in my life. What I've found here over these years is as much insulting, mocking, bashing, and hating as I have ever seen toward another group. The Westboro Bap crew insults homosexuals no more than the antireligious here insult and mock religion. Yet, I'm sure they would both see the other as messed up. I'm kinda like the guy revving up a loud motorcycle while the Westboro crew are shouting their insults. I have admitted many times that I do get a twisted enjoyment and amusement out of it. Do a search under my member name for "Initiated Amusement", you'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality