Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:04 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Good point. But a person who takes literally that verse about god opening the storehouse of heaven if you just ask him is still a Christian.

I always felt way more damage was done to the faith by televangelists than by gays. Because, ya know, televangelists are IN the faith and have outsize influence in it and in public perceptions of it.

From what I have seen some of the laity actually likes to dabble on the side with them and leaders know it.

My former mother in law drove my wife to distraction with her gullible fawning over one televangelist after another.
One of the problems in being around individuals that fawn all over televangelists and swallow down their every word, is that they are so invariably ignorant of much of anything outside of this narrow little circle of belief. This is especially true of older women I have noticed, who have been leaking marbles for sometime in many cases. They are simply prey for the for the Peter Popoff's and Benny Hinn's to suck money out of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 09:10 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
My mom has stage 4 cancer & has had some type of cancer ever since she was 23. Doing the last say...15 years she has been watching TV evangelist such as Andrew Wommack. On a personal note I would like to punch him & others like him in the face, With that said I believe them to be con men who take money from the people who can't see what & who they really are. However, I will say this I do believe that it is her faith that has kept her alive, not her faith NOT God mind you but her faith.
I understand what you're saying. My mother had that kind of faith and it never wavered. She lived to age 97. Her mind over matter was very strong and I think it manifested in her in many ways. Sometimes I wish I had such faith, but I'm a realist. My brothers and I were similar in one way, though... when any of us got in a tight spot, we all wanted her to pray about it because there were times she got results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality