Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 12:14 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,983,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

God, of course.

My goodness...you have missed a lot of my posts. Like.....all of the posts in which I've stated He loves us more than we can imagine.

Maybe I need to start typing IN CAPS.
Why then are you against so much in the Bible?

One who believes in God may not be a true believer. I'm not saying you are not a true believer and cannot judge anyone as to if they are or are not. Those two things are mutually exclusive you know.

If one truly believes God that Christ died for our sins, was entombed and roused from the dead the third day then they are a true believer.
If one merely believes God exists in saying "they believe in God" but do not believe the One He sent, they are not a believer. I hope you believe God concerning Christ dying for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 12:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Why then are you against so much in the Bible?
I'm against certain things in the Bible. Like telling women they can't be in the pulpit. Now that's a silly idea that came from someone who was obviously afraid of strong, intelligent women.

Anything else to drag this thread off into the weeds? Because my beliefs have zero to do with someone having a little stuffed devil at the top of their tree. We have a capiz shell star.... which is beginning to seem a little boring.

I'm really liking the Kermit the Frog idea. I think Rainbow Connection is a very spiritual song. We could learn a lot from Kermie.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm against certain things in the Bible. Like telling women they can't be in the pulpit. Now that's a silly idea that came from someone who was obviously afraid of strong, intelligent women.

Anything else to drag this thread off into the weeds? Because my beliefs have zero to do with someone having a little stuffed devil at the top of their tree. We have a capiz shell star.... which is beginning to seem a little boring.

I'm really liking the Kermit the Frog idea. I think Rainbow Connection is a very spiritual song. We could learn a lot from Kermie.
I like you.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I like you.
Most people do.

Old 10-29-2015, 12:52 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,073,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hi, I know this may be a weird one, and I'm asking this in the general R&S forum for a wide audience.

There is someone in my life who says he doesn't believe in religion, pretty much has contempt for Christianity and is "sort" of Buddhist... according to him.

Last Christmas he and his young Thai wife (she's definately a Buddhist) had a tree up and instead of an angel or star or whatever on top, there was a "cute" stuffed devil... and it's hand was posed as "giving the bird"... so... a Christmas tree topped with a stuffed devil basically flipping off... the world? Christians? Their friends? Very strange. I did say something like, "Hmmm... that's interesting". I'm sure they sensed my "disapproval" even though it was more like "why???" and they just chuckled and snickered.

Anyway, it was one of the more strange things I've seen during the holidays. I'm not really religious myself, but I did walk away shaking my head cause it looked so... stupid!

Anyway, just curious what you think of it... Funny? WTF? Offensive? Mild puzzlement? Cool? Dumb? "Great idea! I'm going to do that too?" Other?

Thanks for indulging me!
Cheers!
For one, they are not Christian right? So they are celebrating their Federal Holiday "Secular Christmas" (a Winter-Solistice thing based on the day of Saturnalia and other pagan holidays of European history) the way they want to: with humor.

His Thai wife is obviously just a person, she is not a Buddhist Saint nor Nun. She might be a Stream-enterer or lay person but she is obviously not above humor.

They might be making fun of the fact that "Christmas" time and festivities are based off of Pagan traditions, which a great deal of Christians consider to be Satanic influences.
Or they might be making fun of the fact that Christmas has become about Money and Materialism and therefore the Devil.
Or they might think that Christianity as a whole is controlled by the Devil, therefore explaining to them why it is the way it is and their Christmas rituals and ritual objects are the way they are.

Most likely they did it because they felt like being spontaneous and humorous and have been exposed to anti-Secular and other aggressive Christians (and Christian history) which has soured their view of a "good war Angel" being on top of the Christmas tree.

I'd want to know exactly why they did it, but I wouldn't feel offended, I'd probably just laugh and think it a thought-provoking piece of artwork/decoration.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
His Thai wife is obviously just a person,
How do you know that? She could be a gray alien.
Maybe the grays love Satan?

Old 10-29-2015, 01:49 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
I don't say this to inflame you but, I didn't know you have faith in God.
Seriously? Dew? Probably one of the surest Christian faiths of any poster on this forum! Like the kind who do as Christ taught rather than talk about it.

I envy the depth of her faith in God!

Old 10-29-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Seriously? Dew? Probably one of the surest Christian faiths of any poster on this forum! Like the kind who do as Christ taught rather than talk about it.

I envy the depth of her faith in God!
Thank you, MQ.

I was just thinking about that. I may be the only regular poster on this forum who has never doubted the existence of God or had a crisis of faith. I've had the same rock-steady beliefs about God, including knowing he loves me, since I was a very small child.

And I've been the the valley of the shadow.....as I know you have. My faith has never wavered. I can feel His presence.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 10-29-2015 at 02:39 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 02:37 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,389,120 times
Quote:
Okay, I'll explain it to you. Those people most likely knew there would be people visiting them over the holiday who honor the Lord Jesus Christ's birth. For that couple to put an emblem on the top of their tree of a devil flipping the bird knowing full well others would be coming into their domicile wreaks of insensitivity to the beliefs of others. Personally I could care less concerning what they did. A Christmas tree means nothing to me. But what if children came in and saw that? children raised up to honor the birth of our Lord? Of course it would be a good time to teach those children that people can be insensitive and that we should love them in spite of their antagonism.
I agree with you here, Eusie. If they knew that serious Christians or kids were coming over, then it is in bad taste, and maybe even insensitive. From the story we have though, no one like that came over. The OP says he/she isn't religious. So unless someone else came over who it did offend, the point is moot. I would never put anything like that on a tree, but I really could not care less if someone does.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,225,485 times
If it is offensive to put a stuffed devil on a tree, because christians might come into the house and be offended
(THINK OF THE CHILDREN!)

Then isn't it equally offensive to put christian decorations on a tree in case a non christian comes into the house?

I wonder what some would have made of my darth vader tree we did one year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality