Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:22 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Post # 34 on this thread:

As we've said...when YOU decide what the rights are and we disagree with them, it's not unloving or disrespectful.
Do you understand human rights VS equal rights?

Human rights = a right that belongs to every person. Life, liberty pursuit of happiness etc.

Equal rights = Having the same legal rights as other people.

Legal rights and human rights are not always the same thing. Marriage is not a human right since marriage is not a natural occurrence. Marriage is a LEGAL right, as in granted by law when discussing government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 11:24 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
Quote:
Whatever. You are the one that is changing the narrative to suggest that it's not loving, respectful or kind to deny what you say are basic human rights.

The question is what those basic human rights are. If we disagree about them it's not that we don't love you, respect you, or want to treat you worse than anyone else.

If I decided I have a basic human right to a $70,000 4x4 pickup with 35" tires in my driveway and you disagreed, does that mean I can suggest you're unloving, disrepectful, or wan tto deny me rights?
A better analogy would be if you decided that is is a basic human right to have a $70,000 4x4 pickup with 35" tires in your driveway, but if you do not own your own driveway, you get nothing.You have tried to condition your "basic right" so as to intentionally exclude a specific category of others. That discrimination is where it crosses into being unloving and disrespectful. You are trying to define rights that everyone "has" but that only benefit to people like you, or people you approve of. That seem not just a little, but entirely un-Christlike...

-NoCapo

Old 12-10-2015, 11:30 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
A better analogy would be if you decided that is is a basic human right to have a $70,000 4x4 pickup with 35" tires in your driveway, but if you do not own your own driveway, you get nothing.You have tried to condition your "basic right" so as to intentionally exclude a specific category of others. That discrimination is where it crosses into being unloving and disrespectful. You are trying to define rights that everyone "has" but that only benefit to people like you, or people you approve of. That seem not just a little, but entirely un-Christlike...

-NoCapo
Nonsense. Everyone has always had the exact same rights to marry in this country. Whether or not you care to use that right is irelevant.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Do you understand human rights VS equal rights?

Human rights = a right that belongs to every person. Life, liberty pursuit of happiness etc.

Equal rights = Having the same legal rights as other people.

Legal rights and human rights are not always the same thing. Marriage is not a human right since marriage is not a natural occurrence. Marriage is a LEGAL right, as in granted by law when discussing government.
The trick is that for Vizio equal rights are something that everyone gets. To him it is still equal if only a select few can actually use or benefit from those rights. For example in Vizio land, having a right to $1,000,000 dollars annually from the taxpayers if you can dunk a basketball on a 10' rim is perfectly equal. He would have no complaints about taxpayers subsidizing tall people or particular races who might statistically be more able to dunk a basketball, because the rule applies to everyone, even if the outcome is clearly biased. So short people who cannot jump cannot complain, because the law is applied fairly and equally...

-NoCapo

Old 12-10-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
The trick is that for Vizio equal rights are something that everyone gets. To him it is still equal if only a select few can actually use or benefit from those rights.
That's not really the case for marriage. Never has been. And the fact that you may disagree with me on that doesn't mean I'm unloving or disrespectful.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Nonsense. Everyone has always had the exact same rights to marry in this country. Whether or not you care to use that right is irelevant.
Sure, and everyone can have a truck, if they just buy a house with a driveway. By staying in an apartment, a condo, or renting, they are just choosing not to take advantage of their right...

-NoCapo

Old 12-10-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Sure, and everyone can have a truck, if they just buy a house with a driveway. By staying in an apartment, a condo, or renting, they are just choosing not to take advantage of their right...

-NoCapo
How is that relevant?

Old 12-10-2015, 11:39 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
So I had the "exact same right" that you have to marry a woman before the ruling?

Who knew?

Old 12-10-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So I had the "exact same right" that you have to marry a woman before the ruling?

Who knew?
You had the exact same right to marry a person of the opposite gender that I have always had. Just like you, I've never been able to marry someone of the same gender.

But again, it's not unloving, the fact that we disagree on what the definition of marriage should be. But hey...when you control the narrative, you can say whatever you want.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:42 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:

-NoCapo
Must be some weird municipal code issue where you live. We don't have those kinds of restrictions. Trucks for everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality