Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 03:35 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It would be one whacked out god who would make me the better leader then tell me not too because of my genitalia.
No one is saying you can't be a leader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 03:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No one is saying you can't be a leader.
Not true. Your employer would refuse to hire a woman to be a pastor and lead a church. Even if she was smarter, had a better education, more people skills and could do a better job than every.single.man who applied for the job.

Which is employment discrimination. Luckily for you roughly 50% of your competition is eliminated because the SCOTUS (which is often the target of your complaints) ruled that there is a "ministerial exception" to anti-discrimination laws.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:03 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Because the modern-day attitude toward women as sex objects that are only good to satisfy men's needs or to pop out babies and be a single mom is somehow better?
Who the hell sees women that way, overall? Well, except you, since you seem to be the one here who has brought the idea up.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:09 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Here we go again.

1. If it fits what I want...then it's scriptural, and everyone should follow it (or at least say it). Or at least I should. You can do what you want and wind up in hell as God doesn't want robots.

2. If it doesn't fit what I want and is in the OT, well, Jesus came to wave away all that OT stuff. (If it's in the OT and DOES fit with what I want, please refer to Item 1.)

3. If it doesn't fit what I want and is in the Gospel, don't worry, Jesus said X but Paul "clarified" it...to something different.

4. If nothing fits scripturally, but feels good and well, I mean...I really want things a specific way, then whatever it says scripturally, OT or NT, was just a parable and/or was only for that specific time and/or was only specifically for that place and/or has a TOTALLY different meaning in Greek.

5. If it partially fits one part of scripture and partially doesn't fit it but a different part of scripture fits well, parse, and use a cute, fun yet amazingly profound meme to support it.

6. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

God's holy loophole. Amen. I wonder if people hear themselves sometimes. What about what God REALLY wants and not what "fits" with what you want...so you do the Bible Dance to find support for it? I'm obviously not referring to this one post alone, Vizio. So chew on that. "I fooled God" probably isn't something that's going to go over well on anybody's tombstone. Truth is truth and if you're trying to have your truth be that a woman should say she wants to submit because it's written that way...but she won't REALLY do it...well...WTH does that say for the way YOU interpret God's word, that word you claim to live by???

As my mom used to say...is it is or is it ain't, Viz?
Great post. Can't rep you but

Old 12-26-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Not true. Your employer would refuse to hire a woman to be a pastor and lead a church. Even if she was smarter, had a better education, more people skills and could do a better job than every.single.man who applied for the job.

Which is employment discrimination. Luckily for you roughly 50% of your competition is eliminated because the SCOTUS (which is often the target of your complaints) ruled that there is a "ministerial exception" to anti-discrimination laws.
But no one is saying she can't be a leader. She's certainly qualified to serve in many leadership roles, just not as pastor. There are many jobs I may be qualified for but I couldn't do simply because of my gender.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Who the hell sees women that way, overall? Well, except you, since you seem to be the one here who has brought the idea up.
Just take a look at society. Look at the rate of single motherhood in our country. Look at the number of guys that leave their baby momma's hanging and don't pay child support. That's the product of modern-day society ditching what the Bible says we should do and men being men.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:31 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Just take a look at society. Look at the rate of single motherhood in our country. Look at the number of guys that leave their baby momma's hanging and don't pay child support. That's the product of modern-day society ditching what the Bible says we should do and men being men.
Take a look in the mirror...the parts we pick out about "society" or something else conveniently "out there" away from ourselves are often those things WE are focusing on.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:31 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
But no one is saying she can't be a leader. She's certainly qualified to serve in many leadership roles, just not as pastor. There are many jobs I may be qualified for but I couldn't do simply because of my gender.
such as? one valid example, and mother is not one...

Old 12-26-2015, 04:34 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
So nevermind that Scripture explicitly commands that men and women have different roles? If you don't believe the Bible, then fine...but I do. And I did so long before I was a pastor. I did so long before I even realized the passages regarding the roles of men and women were even known to me. If we're going to claim to believe the bible, we must be willing to actually submit to what it says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Who decided that?
Quote:
Isn't that what it means by believing it? Isn't that what it means to be honest to our belief that it's God's Word? Why would one believe it is God's Word and then choose to ignore it?
Quote:
Isn't that what it means by believing it? Isn't that what it means to be honest to our belief that it's God's Word? Why would one believe it is God's Word and then choose to ignore it?
I believed my parents, but ultimately decided to go my own way.

As always, too much gets lost in TRANSLATION...

Old 12-26-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I believed my parents, but ultimately decided to go my own way.

As always, too much gets lost in TRANSLATION...
Do you believe your parents were prophets? That they were the very mouthpieces of God and that they spoke the Words of God? If that was the case, then I would guess that you'd be missing out on a lot by NOT listening to them. I mean...wow! Likewise, if we believe that the Bible is God's Word and that He actually spoke to men and inspired them to write his Word down, why would we NOT care to see what it says and not want to live accordingly?

On the other hand, if they were just normal, everyday people, be it as they may probably very nice, good folk....but their words were equal to everyone else's words.....it wouldn't make much sense to treat them as superior to anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality