Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 09:11 PM

661 posts, read 521,749 times

Advertisements

I was raised by Catholic parents, and I am really starting to laugh at the idea of going to Heaven. I think it's as bad as Hell (no pun intended). I think Heaven is a paradise for people who want to remain virgins and being prudes forever. If that's what our destiny is like, God is a sick God. It doesn't help that he's ignoring what's happening with the planet getting worse in this generation.

I refuse to accept anything that's supposed to go beyond our understanding, that fact is a sick, cold reality in itself.

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no reasoned case for a physical, beautiful afterlife. Why is the physical stuff on this planet so evil?

/rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 10:32 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Well...as for that last question, Christianity is set up on the premise that everyone, every single person on earth needs to be saved from sin, hence everything pretty much that we naturally do, or will strongly instinctively want to do, or that we might even accidentally do is considered sinful so that nobody can say "But I don't sin."

Just to cover its bases, the Bible makes cerrtain even thinking certain things a sin (Judaism is also dependant upon proving nobody, ever, can do exactly correct things and therefore the Jews as chosen people are entirely dependant on God's "mercy").

It's a setup and a trap but luckily, we are exiting a couple millennia (in total) of flat out gaping-mouthed terror of a God who will hate most of the things our very biology dictates that we do, much less circumstances and so on, and entering an era of people outright questioning the outrageous ideas espoused by the Bible.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:30 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,645,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
I was raised by Catholic parents, and I am really starting to laugh at the idea of going to Heaven. I think it's as bad as Hell (no pun intended). I think Heaven is a paradise for people who want to remain virgins and being prudes forever. If that's what our destiny is like, God is a sick God. It doesn't help that he's ignoring what's happening with the planet getting worse in this generation.

I refuse to accept anything that's supposed to go beyond our understanding, that fact is a sick, cold reality in itself.

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no reasoned case for a physical, beautiful afterlife. Why is the physical stuff on this planet so evil?

/rant
It is unfortunate but at present [not future] theism is a critical necessity for the majority of people who need to clutch to cling on to deal with the terrible subliminal psychological angst arising from an existential dilemma and crisis. At present there are no effective alternative to replace theism for the majority of people in their present psychological states.

The practice of theism as invented by humans are expressed in many forms.

To assess whether a God [or rather the people who invented that God] is sick, one will have to scrutinize in detail the holy texts of the various theistic religions.
I believe the God of Christianity [those who started it] has many negatives that hinder the progress of humanity but overall its God in general is pacifist in nature.
However it is very easy to judge the nature of Allah, i.e. the God of Islam or the people who started and establish the religion, by the glaring evidences of the acts committed by SOME evil prone Muslims.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:54 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
God could fix the earth with ease but He gave the earth to man and if the planet is getting worse than it is not Gods problem , as many people have told God to get out so why would you be concerned that to blame God for the conditions of the planet .............. If you need God to fix the planet then people will have to ask God to do that .....

Old 01-09-2016, 04:07 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
God could fix the earth with ease but He gave the earth to man.
Utterly nonsensical claims.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:11 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,063 times
Quote:
God could fix the earth with ease but He gave the earth to man and if the planet is getting worse than it is not Gods problem , as many people have told God to get out so why would you be concerned that to blame God for the conditions of the planet .............. If you need God to fix the planet then people will have to ask God to do that .....
Millions of people have been asking god for that for centuries - standing on their knees, weeping, crying out to the great void where he was supposed to be. They still have not received an answer.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:51 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Unsupportable nonsense.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:53 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:

/rant
I think the majority of the problem is that people do not understand what Heaven and the so-called Christian concept of "Hell" really is and don't understand the overarching goal God has for all mankind.

I think God is trying to show mankind that when humans rule over humans, that this will never be an ideal situation. Such is what we have seen in the last couple of thousand years. Eventually God will rule out all rule when God is All in all (1 Corinthians 15:22-28). Then, all mankind will walk in perfect love. That is what God is preparing humanity for. What lies beyond that point has not been revealed to us.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:56 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Millions of people have been asking god for that for centuries - standing on their knees, weeping, crying out to the great void where he was supposed to be. They still have not received an answer.
That does not mean He does not have the solution to the problem. He does. In the next eon, Christ will return and the earth will be ruled in righteousness.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:57 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times
Quote:

/rant
Thanks for the rant.

Let me ask you something. Suppose you ran a store. You had helpers. But this was a Wal-Mart. Because of this, you can't count on customers not to steal. You can't even count on the employees either.

Everything is going to ****, and nothing you do seems to help. What do you do? You ask for help from current employees. But some employees leave. So you write an employee manual. If the state of the store is bad, either the manual was poorly written, or the employees are not following along.

So my question. Is the world bad because God is a bad person? Or is it bad because God needs help and feels like nobody is helping?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality