Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:38 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times

Advertisements

Read some really good books, some overtly religious, others not, that have a similar thread of compassion.

The Good the Bad and the Furry
A Streetcat Named Bob
The World According to Bob
Flash the Donkey
Saving Simon
Dewey, the Smalltown Library Cat that Touched the World
Deweys 9 Lives
Henrietta, the Cat that Governed the World
Cat Daddy

Non animal related but also spiritual
Dancing for the Devil
Walk to Beautiful

Last edited by Stymie13; 02-02-2016 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 07:30 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,049 times
And don't forget music. The Bloodhound Gang: "You and me, baby, ain't nuttin' but mammals...."

But, somewhat more seriously: I don't know any of the books you listed. Why animals? Does the theme of compassion come out more powerfully with animals for some reason? Do these books portray people acting compassionately toward animals? Or animals acting compassionately? Or a mixture? It seems a bit ironic for animals to teach humans about compassion, but I can see why it might work that way in some cases.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
And don't forget music. The Bloodhound Gang: "You and me, baby, ain't nuttin' but mammals...."

But, somewhat more seriously: I don't know any of the books you listed. Why animals? Does the theme of compassion come out more powerfully with animals for some reason? Do these books portray people acting compassionately toward animals? Or animals acting compassionately? Or a mixture? It seems a bit ironic for animals to teach humans about compassion, but I can see why it might work that way in some cases.
Just the feeling I got from reading them. It was like an addiction, read one after the other...

In saving Simon (who's a donkey: bedlamfarms.com), there is a portion where the writer is reviewing much of his blog readers responses. Calling him a saint, and the farmer where Simon was, much much worse. Anyway, without going line by line, he's struck by the irony of compassion for the animal but what had happened in the farmers life that led to Simon coming to live with him. That, along with a bunch of other things, really struck home what Jesus preached which, to me, are simply love, compassion, mercy, and forgiveness... Especially when I don't want to. (I am no bible scholar so I can't or don't quote passages).

I do think, often, that animals can teach us, we'll the arrogant me, first, how to listen...

Old 02-02-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post

Forgot one just as important: midnight Jesus.

I'm not a biblical scholar, and for those who find spirituality outside Christianity, this response does come from that perspective. It's not meant to persuade, argue, preach.

Jesus' underlying message, to me, is love, compassion, mercy, and forgiveness. So why did books about animals and humans rekindle that spark I extinguished long ago? Because those 4 words.

Over and over, the themes I found in those books reinforced those principles. From the unconditional love of the human companion to their furry brethren, to the compassion of rehabilitating/saving them from some horrible conditions, to the ultimate mercy that sometimes had to occur... And forgiveness. I'll be honest, in many of those books, I was a sobbing mess through great lengths, sometimes so tearful the pages were blurry. Not just the particular circumstances of any one book or the other... They just all seemed to keep building, and building, and building on an overwhelming feeling that I, like many of the broken lives (animal and human) in those particular readings, are not alone, not truly cast off. And they it all, my brain just kept saying pray for you are not alone.

I was an atheist for 30 some odd years. Currently, I occupy the lowest socio-economic status in this country and for all intents, I had given up to just exist. I don't know why I picked up the first one (the good, the bad, and the furry). Maybe it's because it has a gorgeous black cat on it, much like my own beloved Tai (who is no longer with me). I don't know why I picked up a book with a silly donkey on the cover (Flash). Maybe it's because it reminded me of a woman I loved (who am I kidding, still do) who rescued a miniature donkey. I just know each of those reminded or reinforced those 4 words: live, compassion, mercy, and forgiveness. And when I'd finished the tears, it was Jesus' name and voice that I felt and I felt live, no longer broken, and definitely not alone.

Dancing for the Devil is about a woman from privilege who ended up in prostitution and ultimately went on to found Eve's Angels
WAlk to Beautiful is about the country singer jimmy Wayne barber and his walk across the U.S. To bring awareness to foster kids about to 'age out'.
Midnight Jesus is about a minister who works in a psych ward who finds more answers in the broken, unbalanced, addicted lives he works with night in and night out.

Sorry for the long winded response. As I was walking tonight, my short response earlier kept haunting me.

I should probably just move this to my blog to not waste others time with my rambling... So, my apologies if anyone stumbled upon this by chance and took offense (or typos... Written from phone with cracked screen. Lol)

Old 02-02-2016, 07:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post

I do think, often, that animals can teach us, we'll the arrogant me, first, how to listen..

Yes, they can. Some people never listen. You have. Well done.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:59 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
I do think, often, that animals can teach us, we'll the arrogant me, first, how to listen...
I think many people underestimate the intelligence and emotional depth many animals are capable of. The notion that we humans are "not mere animals" blinds us to how much we have in common with "lower" life forms.

One of our dogs is a rescue mutt who seems perpetually worried about some vague existential angst. It has been rewarding to earn his trust and to see his appreciation for the better life we've been able to give him. When we first had him in our lives he was a "runner" and that has gradually faded. He seems less anxious and that is gratifying.

Our other dog is a female terrier and has instinctively taken on the project of mothering the much larger mutt, who was taken too early from his mother and left alone in a cage much of his first year of life. She licks and cleans him thoroughly every day and he loves it. If only people could care for each other like that! Well okay, not EXACTLY like that but you catch my drift.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think many people underestimate the intelligence and emotional depth many animals are capable of. The notion that we humans are "not mere animals" blinds us to how much we have in common with "lower" life forms.

One of our dogs is a rescue mutt who seems perpetually worried about some vague existential angst. It has been rewarding to earn his trust and to see his appreciation for the better life we've been able to give him. When we first had him in our lives he was a "runner" and that has gradually faded. He seems less anxious and that is gratifying.

Our other dog is a female terrier and has instinctively taken on the project of mothering the much larger mutt, who was taken too early from his mother and left alone in a cage much of his first year of life. She licks and cleans him thoroughly every day and he loves it. If only people could care for each other like that! Well okay, not EXACTLY like that but you catch my drift.
yes I do... In all spheres of life (work, gym, politics, grocery story...) I commend you on the rescues... 2 broken lives that now have a forever home... And I'm sure they help mend some of the fences in their human companion ��

Old 02-03-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes, they can. Some people never listen. You have. Well done.
Thank you for the kind comment

Old 02-03-2016, 07:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Thank you for the kind comment
I enjoyed reading your posts. Have you thought about volunteering with an animal rescue group? Or a companion animal/ pet therapy organization. I think you have a LOT to give.

Not everyone sees the spiritual value in animals and what they can teach us and the good they can bring out in us to make us better people.. You do. I think that's a gift.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-03-2016 at 07:46 PM..

Old 02-03-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I enjoyed reading your posts. Have you thought about volunteering with an animal rescue group? I think you have a LOT to give.
I am currently trying to get my 501c3 for that... And sell my true organic pet food (at farmers market).

Ideally, I will have it staffed by those who also have broken lives (originally I thought just addicts but I've greatly expanded my understanding of 'broken').

If it goes through, or when I get it off the ground, it's called Healing Hearts.

Btw, I give all food I don't sell to the ky humane society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality